The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-15-2022, 12:31 PM

Default nut question

hi ; i recently purchased a new Larrivee OM model. The high E string kind of rolls off the fretboard when I play certain chords. I am going to have my tech guy do some work. He asked me if I wanted it filled in or a new one. I said just fill it in with whatever they use . Did I make the right call on this?
Old 06-15-2022, 12:46 PM

filling is often times done with baking soda and super glue or bone dust and super glue (to each their own)

works but the slot tends to wear down faster than if it wasn't filled.

personally, for the cost of a new nut, and the effort to fit it, I'd have gone that route and been done with it. you'd never have to worry about the nut again.

very easy to DIY if you have nut files, there are a lot of options for pre-slotted nuts available. they just need to be fit, eg: bottom sanded down for the right height and back side for the proper width, then the slots are cut/regulated to the right depth and you're done

I just use the existing nut as a guide to sizing the new nut and feeler gauges and testing things out as you go along to get the depth right.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-15-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi ; i recently purchased a new Larrivee OM model. The high E string kind of rolls off the fretboard when I play certain chords. I am going to have my tech guy do some work. He asked me if I wanted it filled in or a new one. I said just fill it in with whatever they use . Did I make the right call on this?
If your guy would fix it by moving just the one string slot, you should find a new guy. That would make the spacing too narrow between the E and B (unless the factory made that space too wide, which isn't likely). And if he would fix it by filling and recutting 5 of the slots (the low E can stay where it is if it is well located), it would be silly not to make a new nut instead.

Get a new nut made by a good tech. Making and setting up a nut well requires skill, understanding, and practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair