The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-29-2022, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Fairbanks vs Kopp for Gibson Build

Choosing between Fairbanks and Kopp is proving a bit challenging for a J-35/45 type build. Both seem to be at the top of their games.

Anyone compare the two side by side?
Old 04-29-2022, 08:07 AM

I have played examples of both; you couldn't go wrong either way. But as an alternative, and maybe not so pricey as of yet, you might look at the guitars of Phil Brunwin at BethanyGuitars.com. He seems to have his luthier chops down and makes Gibson-inspired acoustic guitars. Lots of information on his website and facebook channel.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:49 AM

You could also add John Walker to the list.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

David Haxton built a really nice Nick Lucas type I’ve been enjoying for the last few weeks.
The K-185 posted here looks gorgeous!
I know Fairbanks did a refurb job on an actual Nick Lucas and that guitar was pretty.
Tough to choose!
Old 04-29-2022, 02:34 PM

I've unfortunately never had a chance to play a Kopp, but I HAVE had the chance to play a couple Fairbanks guitars and that sealed the deal for me. Dale is currently building me an F-20 (L-00) in Tuxedo finish that should be done later this year and honestly, I CANNOT wait. The look, feel and neck carve of the F-20 I tried has haunted me since. I've heard nothing but good things about Kopp's and have thought seriously on buying a couple resales that have been posted here over the last while. Good luck with your decision, there's likely no wrong choice in this matter!
Old 04-29-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
You could also add John Walker to the list.
Second this!
Old 04-30-2022, 07:20 PM

Played several guitars built by Kevin Kopp. All owned by an AGF member who used to live in his area. Each of the 3 or 4 he had was fantastic. Thought hard about buying one but ended up with a guitar he owned built by David Flammang who also builds in the old Gibson style. The Flammang one me over and I have added a 2nd. Both based on old Smeck designs. 2 of the nicest guitars I have ever gotten to know. Can’t imagine letting either one go. Thus I would recommend adding Flammang to your list for consideration. Don’t know where you are located, but there is a shop in Guilford, Ct that has a number of Flammangs for sale. I always stop in there when we go to that part of Connecticut to visit my wife’s family. Worth a trip to play them. You are certainly thinking about guitars I really like.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-01-2022, 06:31 AM

Default Franklin Dread

Just to add to the soup -- I'd also recommend looking at a Franklin Guitar Dread built by Nick Kuckich. A fantastic slope shoulder 12 fret dread based on Gibson's Roy Smeck Radio Grande.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop