The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 AM

Default GS Mini - Customisation Questions

Hi,

This is my first post on here.

I was looking to buy a nice guitar a few months ago, and had saved up for a 600 series Taylor, but after playing the GS Minis I fell in love with them. I have ended up buying two of them... one mahogany, and one standard sapele, and getting some good pickups fitted to them.

I am looking to customize the mahogany one slightly (as it is my favourite, and probably my favourite guitar that I own for portability and sound), and am thinking about getting a custom truss rod cover made for it.

Firstly, does anyone know of any companies in the UK that do this?

Secondly, I am good friends with some people who own a stainless steel business, and I wondered if they could make me a custom engraved cover.

My question is, does a truss rod cover have to be any material in particular? Would a stainless steel cover work? I know this sounds like a completely stupid question, but I just wondered if the material could effect anything, or resonate with the strings differently somehow?

Let me know your thoughts.

ST
Old 05-25-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siritalks View Post

My question is, does a truss rod cover have to be any material in particular? Would a stainless steel cover work?

ST
Truss rod covers are purely aesthetic, so stainless steel should work fine. Welcome to the the AGF!

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 AM

Thanks. Loving this place.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 AM

I have a TRC on order for my wifes GS Mini from Bill Nichols at Nicholsinlay.com
Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 AM

Yeah, I've emailed him, but no reply as yet.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:55 AM

ST - Welcome to the AGF! Glad you're hear and congrats on the two GS Minis.

Like Willie stated, TRC are purely aesthetic so go ahead and have fun customizing it.

Have you tried a full sized Taylor GS model?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 AM

I did. I actually prefer a smaller bodied guitar. I already own a 414ce, and Gibson J200, and a Taylor T5, so I'm covered in a lot of areas. Just wanted something smaller. Love the minis!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM

I know Bill has been super busy. Email him again. It has taken a few days for him to get back when I have emailed him.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Congrats, I have a spruce top mini I bought last year, wonderful guitars. Just had my first ever chance to try out the mahogany model this week, A/B'd against a new spruce and I must say the mahogany does have the warmer more rounded tone. Almost tempted to have both!

I customised my GSm a bit with a bone saddle, and some koa tuner buttons that beautifully match the sapele neck. Those inlaid trc's are really nice - a much cheaper alternative (which runs rings around that cheap bit of plastic provided on the guitar) is just to use a piece of rosewood or similar as Taylor use on most of their guitars. You can pick up one of the cheap hardwood 3 hole trc's to fit Taylor off ebay - they have all manner of nice woods available... cocobolo, koa, rosewood, ebony all look good. The top hole tends to be slightly off on these, and needs a small very shallow screw hole in the top end of the trc cavity on the guitar, otherwise they fit right in.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siritalks View Post
Yeah, I've emailed him, but no reply as yet.
Call. He is busy. He did inlays for three of my guitars. I got better response talking on he phone. Great work nd reasonable.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM

I put a bone saddle on mine gave it a little more sustain and removed some mids don't know if I like it better before or after but its definitely different,

And I put sperzel locking tuners and ebony bridge pins

love my Gsm spruce so much I'd buy a mahogany one too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cover, gs-mini, mini, rod, truss