The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-11-2022, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Fiebings is $6 a bottle, comes in several several shades of brown and is alcohol based so it works perfectly with shellac which is also dissolved in alcohol. You could mix a little in with your cup of Zinsser aerosol or make up a 1lb cut from flakes and alcohol. Save yourself some money.

https://tandyleather.com/products/fi...93057d41&_ss=r
Fathand - thank you!
Old 06-11-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Yeah, I saw that colortone tint price. Wow! Even the Tru-Oil was $13 for an 8oz bottle.
A 3 oz bottle of tru oil can likely do 1 guitar. If you doing more, there are bigger bottles. Watch Amazon for sales, I once got a quart bottle for $32.

Keep it sealed tight and in a ziploc bag and dispense what you are going to use in a small bottle and work from that. I dispense about an ounce into a small squeeze bottle from the dollar store. When it starts to thicken in there after a few days, I throw it out.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:45 AM

The problem I've had with adding tint or color to a finish is if the finish gets scratched, and it will, the color goes with it. If you stain or dye the wood before finish that's less of a problem unless the scratch is pretty deep.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:37 AM

For a darker finish on your knotty-pine tele, consider applying more coats of Tru-Oil (10-14 coats) while lightly sanding between layers. Staining before using Tru-Oil could have been a good option for the desired color, but it might be too late now. If you're unhappy with the test using StewMac colortone stain, try other compatible oil-based wood stains. Ensure product compatibility before use. Seeking advice from woodworking experts or communities could provide valuable insights.
https://paintsgeek.com/will-tru-oil-...s-to-consider/
Old 08-29-2023, 06:34 AM

I finished a laminated rifle stock with about 10 or more coats of Tru oil at least 10 years ago. The color has definitely darkened over that time. How patient are you to wait for the color change?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair