The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 PM

Lots of possible reasons. Maybe they are trying to emphasize how good its condition is, or they bought it before playing it and didn't bond with it, or they started playing electric more, or they found the shape or scale length less than ideal, or they only play it at home but they are constantly out at gigs or jams with another guitar, and the list goes on.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

This is a big hobby for some of us. I’m a blues player but I have a bunch of money tied up in 2 Goodalls. They are stunning and sound amazing. I don’t know why anyone would ever need to have a guitar better than these 2. I keep one in open G for Slack Key and one in DADGAD. But I’m a blues player at heart. I play in alternate tunings rarely. Both a Goodalls are wonderful and “barely played” and in mint condition. If I were ever in need of selling one to pick up a vintage guitar, I’d sell them seriously and honestly and say that they are stellar, yet hardly played and minty.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
I've had my eyes open on classified ads from various sites...here, Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist, etc...

More often then not, I see 'hardly played", or "rarely taken out of its case" advertised.

WHY?

If the guitars are so awesome to sway the owner to purchase it, why isn't it played more often? Too many guitars? Afraid to damage it or create fret wear? Something wrong with the guitar? Tastes change?

What have been your experiences?
I have a number of guitars that are awesome and don’t get played. I’ve had a bunch in the past. For example, I had three stellar electrics right now that I almost never play. Why? I used to play mainly electric. I don’t anymore because I don’t have a band anymore and don’t have time for one. But I probably won’t sell them because I’ll take up electric again some day.

I’ve had electrics sit in the past because there just wasn’t enough time in the day to play them all. I had a killer 59 RI Les Paul that was perfect in every way - but I always preferred my SG so it mostly sat. So I sold it.

Time limitations. Changing priorities. Changing tastes. Whatever. I’ve been on the receiving end of a number of used guitars that were billed as rarely played and aweomse. And they turned out to be - rarely played and awesome.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Work, kids, family, other competing hobbies, the lure of electronics, illness, even death. The list is long on why a guitar goes unused. And let's include that it was a collector guitar or an undesired instrument.
I wouldn't extrapolate that an unused guitar is inferior.
I have several music books I've never opened. It doesn't mean they're not great books.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 PM

Because "beat to death" doesn't sell many guitars......
Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I've had my eyes open on classified ads from various sites...here, Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist, etc...

More often then not, I see 'hardly played", or "rarely taken out of its case" advertised.

WHY?

If the guitars are so awesome to sway the owner to purchase it, why isn't it played more often? Too many guitars? Afraid to damage it or create fret wear? Something wrong with the guitar? Tastes change?

It may be a ploy to get you hooked or it maybe the truth.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:

WHY?

Well, I own a few guitars I hardly play. A Fender CS Custom Telecaster and a CS MB Stratocaster with RW fingerboard. They are both great sounding guitars, but I prefer maple necks over RW necks. I play them occasionally, but very rarely.
If I would need the money or need to make space for new ones, these are the ones I would sell.

1930 National Style O
1931 National Triolian
1933 Gibson L-1
2007 Martin 000-18 SB Authentic
2013 Gibson 1935 Advanced Jumbo Limited Edition
2013 Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Limited Edition
2021 Martin D-28 CAA 1937
2022 Martin 000-28 CAA
Many Strat's, Tele's, ES 335's and a Gretsch Duo Jet
Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

It took me a very long tme and a fair few guitars to discover what design and makes of guitar really suited me.
I discovered that I needed wider necks than on most guitars with rhythm style necks.

I finally found the 12 fret dreads suited me best. I bought on, then a 000 to go with it, and then found another on ebay that nobody else bid on ... and so it goes.
I started looking for different sizes of guitars, resos, short scales, smaller bodies, 12 string etc. The arsenal kinda grew.

At a certain time in my life I realised that I had a modicum of disposable income.
I don't drink (much) don't smoke, and don't chase wimmins (couldn't catch 'em if I did, and my wife won't let me!)

I take enormous pleasure in my guitars. I take them out and play when I can although less over the last two years due to the throat cancer and life changing treatment, but I run my club and I maintain my trio, and have an increasing presence on YouTube with over a thousand subscribers and over 200,000 views which I find very rewarding( but not monetarised).
I also take pleasure in keeping my instruments in top condition. and have a long suffering local tech who now also cares for most of my picking friends in the area.

I hope to start doing gigs starting in November and, hopefully more noext year, if spared, but I'm making preparations if I'm not.

Beautifully made wooden creations that look great and sound wondrous. They make me happy, and sometimes they make others happy too.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 AM

Money saved is unused.
A person sleeping is unused.
A diary page written is unused.

What's wrong with a guitar being unused?
Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 AM

Work is the curse of the drinking classes. And probably those who play guitar, too.

Unplayed guitars.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:13 AM

The worst guitars that never get played are the ones stood in the corner of a room as a fashion accessory. These pop up on every TV show as if to make a statement when you know nobody in the house plays them (either that or they only make programs in guitarist's homes).

Perhaps it's these that are being offered for 'rescue' on the tinternet.

YouTube
Old 09-21-2018, 06:53 AM

I can't understand how someone would have a Pez dispenser and say they never used it. I think they're lying. Stay far away!
Old 09-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Sometimes there is a guitar shop effect. I have bought a couple guitars that stunned me in the guitar shop but after I get them home, I wonder what did I like about it. Then it sits in a case for a few years until I sell it.

I’m guessing the difference is acoustics and humidification. On the return I have bought a couple guitars by mail that sounded thin and tinny. Disappointing. Then after a year in good old Ohio humidity they blossom into a favorite.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Got rid of my "hardly played" guitars.
At my age I don't want or need more "stuff" no matter what form it comes in.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-21-2018, 07:02 AM

I know a guy who buys a lot of expensive guns and ammo but never fires a shot. I guess that collector mindset could be for anything.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion