The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM

It's my alarm clock, so it's close by, but just far enough that I have to get out of bed to turn it off.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
I've never understood why some people love to hate smart phones so much, as if they are some autonomous force of evil that must be handled with extreme caution and used under a doctor's supervision. Any piece of technology can be abused or an unhealthy obsession, but that shouldn't keep you from making it work for YOU. The phone isn't the issue; it's the person.
I can only understand it in the context of how our lives and professions can be so different, and how some of us do much better than others with change.

Maybe it seems flippant but when some start bringing up ills or bad habits or addiction I also know how we deal with self control is another broad array just like what we do for a living.

Maybe I can be harsh on that at times but I am someone who got some bad ways under control. I was not always fit, and did not always stop my beer at one as examples.

It does seem like a lot of people don't realize how smart phones are really important tools for many. I'm glad to take the evils if I don't have to go back to some of the truly terrible jobs I have had.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:55 PM

Since I don’t talk in my sleep, it’s on the kitchen counter. I’m not a cardiologist or neurosurgeon so no one needs me for any emergencies. The reason I maintain a land-line is so there is a dedicated phone number for people to call me in the case of true need, not convenience. I don’t give that number to musicians or even my manager because they can call during “business hours “. Even when I’m on the road my alarm, book, internet source... is my iPad.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 AM

Smile

Its on the nightstand by the bed where I keep a couple of laptops and a tablet and that is where the charger is. Being retired I am totally unattached to my cellphone as a phone as I very rarely use it for phone calls. I do use and appreciate it as a handheld computer and as a backup gps when I am touring.

I usually default to a laptop or computer and when I was an active businessman I used Skype as my main business phone and communication network as I am always on a computer 24-7.

I have found phone communication to be less accurate and quite nonsensical versus email, text or messaging options as people when they are forced to write will either be reasonably coherent or just plain illiterate. I hate phone calls that waste my time. I appreciate solid reasoning.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypeace View Post
Its on the nightstand by the bed where I keep a couple of laptops and a tablet and that is where the charger is. Being retired I am totally unattached to my cellphone as a phone as I very rarely use it for phone calls. I do use and appreciate it as a handheld computer and as a backup gps when I am touring.

I usually default to a laptop or computer and when I was an active businessman I used Skype as my main business phone and communication network as I am always on a computer 24-7.

I have found phone communication to be less accurate and quite nonsensical versus email, text or messaging options as people when they are forced to write will either be reasonably coherent or just plain illiterate. I hate phone calls that waste my time. I appreciate solid reasoning.
Hmm..... Here most email has become a terrible time suck of forked conversations and digging through a whole lot of crap to find the important bit. It's really only good for the sorts of messages we used to have on paper and get simple replies or most won't comprehend.

More and more phone conversations and text chat are where it's at if you have to get things done.

There are good reasons Microsoft has put so much into Teams and why Slack is popular. For the sake of my nest egg and competition, I hope someone at Google will fix their poor alternatives.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Sometimes it isn't even in the house. I have a landline extension on the night stand. Anyone who'll call me after midnight knows my home number, and if they don't know it, I probably wouldn't be happy to speak to them if the cell phone did ring ... so I'm really doing them a solid.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM

Mine stays on my nightstand or in the bed with me. I have type 1 diabetes and use continuous glucose monitoring controlled by an app on my phone.

It's not unusual for me to get a low glucose notice at night...which can be quite loud.

I don't like getting up out of bed back and forth so I keep the phone close to me on a charging cable...along with glucose tablets.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

This thread is starting to make me think that I should have mine close at hand at night. After being on call 24/7 for over thirty years I kind of have PTSD when the phone goes off. When I retired it was important to get away from my phone. But I am getting older and my phone doesn't go off after hours much anymore. I envision having a heart attack and crawling down my stairs to get my phone.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
This thread is starting to make me think that I should have mine close at hand at night. After being on call 24/7 for over thirty years I kind of have PTSD when the phone goes off. When I retired it was important to get away from my phone. But I am getting older and my phone doesn't go off after hours much anymore. I envision having a heart attack and crawling down my stairs to get my phone.
You might appreciate an Apple Watch if you have the health and help concerns in the same breath. Sure there are stories that make the news or ad content, but I know some closer to home real life reasons. People who've had problems with phone out of reach but used their watch to call. Most of all just good stories on how helpful the nudge technology has been for them, some with heart issues appreciating it, some using it as a tool to improve their well being.

In my case it helps the still on call part of my life. I've been at kids events, meetings and a wedding when pages and systems alarms via the watch were not as intrusive or for me impolite as the phone. It's also become my nightstand clock. With a squint I can even read that night stand mode without my glasses.

Basically I was a skeptic, thought not me, and it's been so great that I'd buy a current model if my Series 2 died. Kind of what I used to think about large screen phones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic