The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Now, about the inlay--unfortunately both Steve and I have lost friends recently to suicide. From the start we have been discussing some way to express the sense of grief and loss. What finally resonated was an inlay pattern of falling leaves, replete in their autumn colors.

Several designs were considered, and an amalgam of those several was worked out:

Attachment 11024

Then some autumn colors were needed, and Steve voted for natural wood colors. There is a logic to that:

Attachment 11025

Jeweler's saw freeing those leaves:

Attachment 11026

And then when inlaid, the gentle free fall is depicted:

Attachment 11027

Woods used: Lemonwood, Bloodwood, Amboyna burl and Koa. The veins are next, which will be incised tomorrow.

Thanks for watching,

Steve
That is so cool! Lovely idea, beautifully executed.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Working a design with a luthier is special but I have to say Kinnaird Guitars is top of the heap. I cherish the memories and the end result. Congrats to both Steve’s on a fine design and the memories it will conjure for life. Really special.
Thank you, Dennis! You really got our wood inlay ball rolling. In fact we're still using slabs that were originally cut for your guitar's inlay. Yes, we cut too much at the time, but it is now yielding more inlays. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
That is so cool! Lovely idea, beautifully executed.
Thank you Jamie, much appreciated.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Working a design with a luthier is special but I have to say Kinnaird Guitars is top of the heap. I cherish the memories and the end result. Congrats to both Steve’s on a fine design and the memories it will conjure for life. Really special.
Have to say "Amen!" to that!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 AM

I love the fretboard. I hope that many happy tunes will be played on it, despite the backstory. I imagine your friends would want that.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for your kindness, guys. A progress report from yesterday--
We inlaid the final leaf--fret #7 (a white oak) and cut the veins which will be shown in a minute.

IMG_2269.jpg

Also, we inlaid our logo into the Koa faceplate. For Steve's guitar Paua abalone was chosen. It was felt that this would tie the neck into the body as it matches his rosette. And thus, the fretboard stands separately as its own design element:

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

Here are the leaves with their veins, after which we fitted the nut blank, and got side dots installed in the fb binding.
So we're set for the fretting crew to show up on Monday!

IMG_2273.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Steve

Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Nice job Steve...the veins really add that final detail to make them look even more real. Do you mind saying how you did those? So much detail. Even on the back of my favorite curled leaf!
Old 07-21-2018, 09:15 AM

Wow, adding the veins really makes a difference on those leaves!! I am so pleased with how this is coming out. And thanks everyone for the comments. I have learned the hard way that depression and mental health issues are often hidden from the people closest to the afflicted. It results in shock, disbelief, and lots of questions that, unfortunately, will more than likely never have answers. This guitar is my way of reminding me of some of the great times I had with my best friend, and one of my nephews (both of who I lost to suicide). I hate that Steve also had a recent experience with losing a friend to suicide - but that shared emotion we have is really being written into this guitar.

S
Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful inlays Steve (kudos)...
Old 07-21-2018, 01:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Nice job Steve...the veins really add that final detail to make them look even more real. Do you mind saying how you did those? So much detail. Even on the back of my favorite curled leaf!
Thanks Tom--those veins were scribed with knives, and then a black filler made specifically for engraving was rubbed in. Glad you like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
Wow, adding the veins really makes a difference on those leaves!! I am so pleased with how this is coming out. And thanks everyone for the comments. I have learned the hard way that depression and mental health issues are often hidden from the people closest to the afflicted. It results in shock, disbelief, and lots of questions that, unfortunately, will more than likely never have answers. This guitar is my way of reminding me of some of the great times I had with my best friend, and one of my nephews (both of who I lost to suicide). I hate that Steve also had a recent experience with losing a friend to suicide - but that shared emotion we have is really being written into this guitar.

S
Steve, the fact that this means so much to you on several levels is immensely gratifying. I hope that this instrument will resurrect many fond memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Beautiful inlays Steve (kudos)...
Thanks Bob, that means a lot!

Steve

Old 07-24-2018, 06:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Saw this pic yesterday, and it did my heart good!

IMG_2289.jpg

Steve

P.S.--that missing fret is not a further statement (though it could be taken that way...) but rather a spot where two pins will help us in final alignment of the neck. Then that fret WILL be driven home.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Smile Beautiful as always!

This guitar is so pretty! Sorry to hear of your friends passing. Depression is so difficult, and the results can be so sad.

I am sure Steve is correct when he says your friends would want many happy times playing this in their memories.

Speaking of Happy times, Beth and I had a blast playing my four JKs and your lovley redwood topped 000!

I finally got to experience a Steve and Ryan beauty! And it is way BOSS!!!

Carrry on in great spirits, gentlemen...

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-25-2018, 06:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words, Paul. Much appreciated!
So you live close enough to Beth to visit, eh? Tell her hi!

Steve

Old 08-02-2018, 08:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

We're baaaaack! Just got home from the DC area, with a too-quick run through NC to visit brother John and his family. Delivered two guitars, so it was a great trip.
(And by the way, we DO hand-deliver if that is an option you'd like to explore. And if your region of the country is something WE'D like to explore. )

As soon as we unpacked the car, it was back out to the shop for the official end to our vacay. My brother will love that last millennialism.

And got right back to working on Steve's neck:

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

Thanks as always for watching,

Steve

Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; 08-02-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 AM

Looking good gents. I think the falling leaves on the fret board are a beautiful statement to commemorate your friends. Can’t wait to see the finished product
Old 08-03-2018, 05:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
We're baaaaack! Just got home from the DC area, with a too-quick run through NC to visit brother John and his family. Delivered two guitars, so it was a great trip.
(And by the way, we DO hand-deliver if that is an option you'd like to explore. And if your region of the country is something WE'D like to explore. )

As soon as we unpacked the car, it was back out to the shop for the official end to our vacay. My brother will love that last millennialism.

And got right back to working on Steve's neck:

Attachment 11575

Attachment 11576

Thanks as always for watching,

Steve
Great to have you and Billie visit. Provided a much needed motive to clean shop and prospect for wood. Those falling leaves are great. Very symbolic and beautifully executed.

I HOPE your use of the word "vacay " was for effect, it really curls my toes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop