The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-25-2022, 08:16 AM

Default Question on bracing practices used on 1972 era Martin D28

I have a 1972 Martin D-28 that had some harsh treatment history that I am trying to deal with and get this instrument playing again. I have gathered together all of the original parts that I have and am in the process of putting this guitar back together using what is usable and replacing what I must with new parts. I have found the original bridge attached to another top destined to be the new top for this Martin but that top is not going to make the trip with the Martin rebuild for good reasons. Anyway this question relates to the original parts I found to put the top back together with and I thought maybe someone well seasoned in all things old may know something about the issue I have. The original cross bracing that the martin had did survive the trauma to the original top and is reusable but I have found that the cross braces where they pass under the original bridge have been drilled and have a dowel inserted which lines up with the two plugs I find in the original bridge which has been installed on the newer top.

I have run across this in another 1970's Martin that I saw in a repair video by Rosa String Works. Jerry Rosa inquired at that time if anyone had ever seen this before but got no reply other than mine which he did not reply to. So I bring this to those of you here that may know if this is a sanctioned Martin repair method or have I just run across the same guy that Jerry ran across who deemed this an appropriate fix for whatever. Anyone ever run across this have any information that would be useful? Thanks Jim
Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 AM

Never heard of this over many years. It certainly wouldn't be something that the factory did.....
Old 05-25-2022, 10:06 AM

I have only ever seen this in the Rosa string works repair video I mentioned and this martin I have which led me to think it may be a known repair method or some such thing. In my case it appeared to be such a exact placement of the dowels right through the cross brace on either side of the bridge practically right in line with the row of string holes and exactly placed so as to appear symmetrical from the top of the instrument. It just seemed too perfect to be jack legged. lol
Old 05-26-2022, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

In my experience dowels are useful for alignment purposes but serve only as proximity maintenance, and actually are detrimental to structural integrity compared to a properly mated glue joint, or in non-guitar context, a mortise and tenon joint.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:47 PM

Join this forum (if you are not a member), and post your question there.

https://umgf.com/technical-info-f2/

Hope this helps.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 06-01-2022, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

This feller apparently works on a lot of 1970s Martins:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NMHighPlains

-Mike
Old 06-01-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
This feller apparently works on a lot of 1970s Martins:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NMHighPlains

-Mike
That dude is a member of the forum that I posted a link to above. He has helped me a couple times.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 06-02-2022, 11:00 AM

That's luthier Bryan Kimsey in the Youtube linked videos. He specializes in repairs and restoration of 70's Martins. If you are looking for someone to do the work on your '72, I can highly recommend Bryan, he knows his vintage Martins and his rates are very reasonable, turns the work around quickly as well. You'll likely have to ship to him though, he's in New Mexico.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVA View Post
That's luthier Bryan Kimsey in the Youtube linked videos. He specializes in repairs and restoration of 70's Martins. If you are looking for someone to do the work on your '72, I can highly recommend Bryan, he knows his vintage Martins and his rates are very reasonable, turns the work around quickly as well. You'll likely have to ship to him though, he's in New Mexico.

Bryan has closed Kimsey lutherie.

From his front page:
http://www.bryankimsey.com/

"Due to life changes Kimsey Lutherie is closed. You can still access the Lutherie site but I am not accepting new work for an undetermined amount of time."
Old 06-03-2022, 10:52 AM

Bryan moved after selling his property to settle the family estate. He has been in the process of setting up a shop at his new location. While he does specialize in 1970's Martins, I am not sure he would take such an extensive project. It doesn't hurt to ask, however. You can message him through UMGF.
Perfectly placed screws to hold down a bridge are not all that uncommon. The dowels were probably inserted to plug the screw holes. While it is less than an ideal repair, it has been made to work. I prefer replacing the brace, or cutting a scoop in the brace and grafting in matching wood. Grain aligned, of course.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
Never heard of this over many years. It certainly wouldn't be something that the factory did.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Bryan moved after selling his property to settle the family estate. He has been in the process of setting up a shop at his new location. While he does specialize in 1970's Martins, I am not sure he would take such an extensive project. It doesn't hurt to ask, however. You can message him through UMGF.
Perfectly placed screws to hold down a bridge are not all that uncommon. The dowels were probably inserted to plug the screw holes. While it is less than an ideal repair, it has been made to work. I prefer replacing the brace, or cutting a scoop in the brace and grafting in matching wood. Grain aligned, of course.
I am familiar with Bryan and have watched much of his work on 70's Martins and found much useful information and guidance in his videos of Martin repairs. To expand the explanation of what I found with this 72 Martin D-28 so that it is clear just what my situation is I would add that the original top for the guitar was found in a separate box with the Martin body and a new top attached with the original bridge on this new top with new bridge plate and new bracing. There was poor top joint work on the new top which needed to be replaced anyway so it was removed. The original top for the instrument was then found and also the original bracing with it and the broken bridge
plate. When the top was removed I then repaired a back crack and the glue joint of one side to the neck block that was not addressed by the previous repair person who put the new top on this guitar. So when I discovered all of this I placed the old top on the guitar body to find that the braces that had been removed from the original back did still have the dowels protruding through their top with enough length sticking up to penetrate the original top and I fit the x-braces together gluing the one broken one back together and found that they lined up perfectly with the old holes through the top where the bridge was removed. I was then able to put this body into a adjustable KMG Mega Mold which I acquired second hand that allowed me to lock the sides to a shape that matches the original tops shape. So I know from this that the top will mate back to the body as it was originally fitted and I can re fabricate some top purfling and a rosette to place in the repaired top.

My question now is should I reuse the old bracing even if it glued back up very nicely where it broke or should I just cut and use new where the bracing broke. The option also to use all scalloped bracing presents itself here even though most of the rest of the braces are not broken they are not scalloped. I know Brian talked about doing this to guitars he repaired if the owners wished. I don't know if I should do this to it or not so I ask your opinion. And finally is there any place that I can acquire the rosette for the 28 style Martin or the parts that would match the original dimensions of the Martin rosette to avoid custom making it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair