The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Default [AGF : playing] ratio?

I’ve come to enjoy the forum so much that I seem to check in every day. Then if I’ve made a post, I check in again later that day. And so on.

This led to a flash of realization. I spend more time interacting with Acoustic Guitar Forum than I do playing acoustic guitar. Some days the ratio in the title line approaches infinity. My current goal is to drag the ratio down to 1, and then maybe below 1. Let’s see how it goes.

How about you?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 06-26-2022, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I tend to check in with the AGF over morning coffee and again over an evening cup of tea so doesn’t really interfere with my guitar playing time.
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-26-2022, 11:02 PM

Most days I work 10 hours. Those days I do a quick read of the AGF and other fora during breakfast. I typically spend at least an hour a day playing. Mondays and Wednesdays I spend 2 hours jamming. This past weekend I spent 3- 4 hours each day playing and changing strings.

I'll typically log in to the forum, scan the threads in "Today on the AGF", see nothing that interests me and move on. Some days there are threads that I read through. Some like this one I'll respond to. But I doubt I average an hour a day. So at worst my ratio is 1:1.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

I sort of see AGF as a part of my guitar playing practice and education rather than an either/or thing.

I have learnt so much from this forum; it has been a big influence on all aspects of my playing.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I tend to check in with the AGF over morning coffee and again over an evening cup of tea so doesn’t really interfere with my guitar playing time.
Best,
Jayne
I am very much the same. I still work full time, when I retire in a few weeks that could change with the increase in “free time”. I do play more then I spend time here, the plan is to increase playing time even more.

Like Robin, Wales I do consider AGF an educational resource as well as way in interact with like minded people.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I have learnt so much from this forum; it has been a big influence on all aspects of my playing.
This is true for me as well.
Also, I get a motivated when I read a few posts here. So it's playing/reading/playing etc..
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 06-27-2022, 04:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I keep the AGF up on my engineer's computer during recording sessions at the studio. I take a peek during breaks and between sessions. I don't see it as a competitor, but rather as a compliment to my guitar playing.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-27-2022, 04:33 AM

I had a roommate my freshman year of college who slept with a textbook under his pillow before a big test, he claimed that he could absorb the information into his brain by osmosis and consequently did not have to study much, or so he claimed.

I utilize AGF the same way - why bother with pulling out the guitar and working on a challenging new song or technique if I can read all about it from the comfort of my living room sofa? I figure that each hour of perusing long-winded back and forths on various guitar-related topics (the ones about bad experiences at big box guitar stores and which strings might be best on a hypothetical guitar are most beneficial) equals at least ten hours of actual playing and doesn't add to those annoying callouses.

Surprisingly, my old roommate did not return for his sophomore year. I, however, have become an amazing guitarist in all genres and types of music - at least that is the response I give in all of the AGF surveys about playing ability.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:37 AM

AGF for fifteen to almost sixty minutes in the morning.

Playing for thirty to ninety minutes in the afternoon AND after dinner.

Sorry AGF…
Old 06-27-2022, 05:07 AM

I'm retired - I've got all day.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-27-2022, 06:06 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Yup…me, too. I have 1 1/2 hours set aside each morning to play my guitars. I pop on and off AGF multiple times a day. Plenty of time for both. Retirement life is good.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:21 AM

I tend to check in morning and evening. Quickerwith less reading and writing in the morning than in the evening. A more thorough perusal takes place once a week.

Yes, there is more time spent here than with a guitar in my hands, at least it is on most days. But I regard my time here as worthwhile and like to feel I am either learning or helping someone. During the course of a day I don't see many people (often none), other than my wife, so this helps fill a social need.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:30 AM

My ratio is about 1:1 and like others I view AGF as complement rather than competitor. I read AGF when playing isn’t an option (due to location, time, or other circumstances). The key for me is reading AGF at times I can’t be playing rather than doing so instead of playing. If I lose that, it turns into more clicking, less picking (credit to AGF member whose sig line says the opposite). JJ1
Old 06-27-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I tend to check in with the AGF over morning coffee
Me too.

I play all the time.

AGF 5

Playing 95

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-27-2022, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Me too. I check in here several times a day just to see what's going on. I play my guitar several times a day because I got nothing better to do.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion