The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-24-2022, 06:25 AM

RE: Orr comparison. Forget the numbers. How can you really compare someone at the start of their career with someone's WHOLE career? Who knows what will happen. I think it was more of a comparison in style, in effectiveness, in that ineffable sense a player has to be, well, magical. That sense of greatness being visible, as you watch the play.

Well, that last game was something else. I really thought Tampa was going to take it. Then, WOW, the Av attack on Vasilevskiy in OT was furious. It was like watching a different team from the one in the earlier periods. Very entertaining, and while, yeah, there should have been a too-many-men, there was not, and that is that. It sure looked to me that it was only a matter of time before the Avs did get one in. Furious and relentless.

OK, I do not have any skin in the game regarding which, Avs or Lightning. I have the same feeling as when I hoped the Caps would win just to get Ovechkin a Cup. Or hoping that Lanny McDonald would get a Cup, even though I hate Calgary. The Stanley is the hardest championship in sports. Yeah, yeah, it can be argued. A superb great player can (and do) go their whole career and never get a Cup win. So I hope that greats do get a win.

I want MacKinnon to get a Cup win. He may (or may not) never get another chance. It is hard to get into the Final, and then you may not win! Although he is still young enough that he will get another shot. But maybe not. So I am rooting for the Avs to win. Tampa has had it. Though a three-peat is very cool. But, go Avs!

Kinda hoping for it to go to 7 games. I think it will go to Game 6 at least. Tampa is going to come out swinging for Game 5. I will not be surprised if they take it.

But what is with this massive swing of team aspect?? The difference between Game 3 and 4 in the Lightning is amazing. 7-0? Against Vasilevskiy? Who saw that coming?

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 06-24-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
RE: Orr comparison. Forget the numbers. How can you really compare someone at the start of their career with someone's WHOLE career? Who knows what will happen. I think it was more of a comparison in style, in effectiveness, in that ineffable sense a player has to be, well, magical. That sense of greatness being visible, as you watch the play.

Well, that last game was something else. I really thought Tampa was going to take it. Then, WOW, the Av attack on Vasilevskiy in OT was furious. It was like watching a different team from the one in the earlier periods. Very entertaining, and while, yeah, there should have been a too-many-men, there was not, and that is that. It sure looked to me that it was only a matter of time before the Avs did get one in. Furious and relentless.

OK, I do not have any skin in the game regarding which, Avs or Lightning. I have the same feeling as when I hoped the Caps would win just to get Ovechkin a Cup. Or hoping that Lanny McDonald would get a Cup, even though I hate Calgary. The Stanley is the hardest championship in sports. Yeah, yeah, it can be argued. A superb great player can (and do) go their whole career and never get a Cup win. So I hope that greats do get a win.

I want MacKinnon to get a Cup win. He may (or may not) never get another chance. It is hard to get into the Final, and then you may not win! Although he is still young enough that he will get another shot. But maybe not. So I am rooting for the Avs to win. Tampa has had it. Though a three-peat is very cool. But, go Avs!

Kinda hoping for it to go to 7 games. I think it will go to Game 6 at least. Tampa is going to come out swinging for Game 5. I will not be surprised if they take it.

But what is with this massive swing of team aspect?? The difference between Game 3 and 4 in the Lightning is amazing. 7-0? Against Vasilevskiy? Who saw that coming?
Regarding great players not winning the Cup, I immediately thought of Marcel Dionne. I don't think he even played in the Finals. 1771 regular season points and the most games he ever played in a playoff season is 10.

Regarding the Conn Smythe, I'm sticking with choice of Makar but MacKinnon would be next... assuming the Avalanche win.

Game 5 tonight! Let's hope the winning goal isn't a disputed goal.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:34 PM

Patrice Bergeron is expected to sign a 1 year deal with the Bruins! Excited. 18 year veteran.. where did the time go? I remember watching him at the Boston Garden (back then it might have been called the Fleet Center IIRC) in his rookie year when he was 18.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:48 AM

Default Stanley Cup Final

3-2, and back to Tampa. I believe the series is afoot!
Old 06-25-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
3-2, and back to Tampa. I believe the series is afoot!
I think we're going to have a game 7, Larry.

How fitting for the Avalanche to get the Too Many Men on the Ice penalty with 3 minutes left in the game?
Old 06-25-2022, 05:10 PM

Oh yeah. A Game 7? More likely than not. Still possible the Avs can take it out at 6, but again, Tampa is going to come out swinging. Rightly so. Can they do it? Sure, absolutely they can do it. It should be an exciting game...I hope. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Colorado did another Game 2 and blew Tampa out of the water?

The bookmakers are gonna go nuts. Not Las-Vegas-getting-to-the Final-on-their-first-year kind of nuts, but nuts. Looking at it as objectively as possible (ha!) the two teams are, at this point, pretty close to each other in terms of talent. Except for the most talked about variable in Stanley Cups - the goalie.

Colorado - very good indeed
Tampa Bay - extraordinary (except for Game 2)

All put together, most likely will have a Game 7, which I like. Calling that game is a coin toss. Just nobody bring up that silliness of "momentum".

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 06-25-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Colorado did another Game 2 and blew Tampa out of the water?
Yes, indeed. I'd be very happy with that.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-25-2022, 05:32 PM

Yup, I would be very happy with that as well. Can you imagine the after commentaries? It would be hilarious. I would like to see a shocked and speechless Bieksa!

Old 06-26-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah. A Game 7? More likely than not. Still possible the Avs can take it out at 6, but again, Tampa is going to come out swinging. Rightly so. Can they do it? Sure, absolutely they can do it. It should be an exciting game...I hope. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Colorado did another Game 2 and blew Tampa out of the water?

The bookmakers are gonna go nuts. Not Las-Vegas-getting-to-the Final-on-their-first-year kind of nuts, but nuts. Looking at it as objectively as possible (ha!) the two teams are, at this point, pretty close to each other in terms of talent. Except for the most talked about variable in Stanley Cups - the goalie.

Colorado - very good indeed
Tampa Bay - extraordinary (except for Game 2)

All put together, most likely will have a Game 7, which I like. Calling that game is a coin toss. Just nobody bring up that silliness of "momentum".
Tampa Bay's playoff experience is paying off. They're able to play with the stress of the Finals. Goaltending is key too or course. Colorado has had the better team all year long but now comes the hardest part, closing it out.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=Dru Edwards;7029276]Regarding great players not winning the Cup, I immediately thought of Marcel Dionne. I don't think he even played in the Finals. 1771 regular season points and the most games he ever played in a playoff season is 10.

Marcel Dionne was a great player. Never won a Cup.
His era with the Kings (pre-Gretzky), made me a full Kings and hockey fan.
For years he was teamed on a incredible line.

Marcel Dionne (Kings 1975-87)
Charlie Simmer (Kings 1977-85)
Dave Taylor (Kings 1977-94).
They were known as the Triple Crown Line.
Just flat out dangerous.

There was a period of 8 yrs. where Dionne scored 90 or more points. In 6 of those years 100 or more.
In the 1980-81 season, all three members of that line scored 100 or more points.

I'm sure if Marcel Dionne played on a better team, he would have been equal to any of the greats.
Sure glad I got to see him play.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
Regarding great players not winning the Cup, I immediately thought of Marcel Dionne. I don't think he even played in the Finals. 1771 regular season points and the most games he ever played in a playoff season is 10.

Marcel Dionne was a great player. Never won a Cup.
His era with the Kings (pre-Gretzky), made me a full Kings and hockey fan.
For years he was teamed on a incredible line.

Marcel Dionne (Kings 1975-87)
Charlie Simmer (Kings 1977-85)
Dave Taylor (Kings 1977-94).
They were known as the Triple Crown Line.
Just flat out dangerous.

There was a period of 8 yrs. where Dionne scored 90 or more points. In 6 of those years 100 or more.
In the 1980-81 season, all three members of that line scored 100 or more points.

I'm sure if Marcel Dionne played on a better team, he would have been equal to any of the greats.
Sure glad I got to see him play.
The Triple Crown Line. First line ever to have all 3 players record 100 points in a single season. I have this card:

Old 06-26-2022, 01:40 PM

VERY cool, Dru!!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 02:27 PM

What a card! What absolute memories!
As I said before. Just flat out dangerous.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats to the Avalanche and their fans!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 09:21 PM

Hats off to the Avs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic