The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-21-2022, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Repairing Ovation plastic rosette

Hi, I'm seeking thoughts on this. The guitar in question is a 1978 model 1627 Legend.

The good news, while the rosette has fully separated from the sound hole (except right at the neck). It's not been previously repaired.

So a careful re-gluing is a definite possibility, and I expect that maintaining maximum value on a guitar I plan to sell would be best served by keeping this (IMO very ugly) rosette intact.

The guitar's value is probably $500-700. The soundboard is immaculate, action is 3/32" at E with none of the original saddle shims removed.

I could also make myself an easy argument that it would look best if I toss what's there and use a more modern applique rosette, simply removing the old. The Ovation design was pretty clearly not designed to hold up well, so a better applique, well applied would probably be less prone to future problems.

It seems if I try to keep what's there, epoxy is the adhesive of choice, if anyone here has experience, thoughts would be appreciated. I have gleaned ideas from Ovation forums, however I have a bit more trust for those here on questions of value and best practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair