The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2017, 07:14 AM

Default Yamaha LS6

Finally getting around to ordering another Yamaha, but as I read some reviews, I see the LS6 is not really a 1 3/4 guitar as advertised. Not a big problem, I just don't want it any narrower than the FG model. Since I'm buying without trying, I'm just making sure of this fact from guys here who actually have one.

Also, I narrowed this down to LS6 vs FGX800c (or FSX800c). Cost about the same after you figure in case. The size or nut width doesn't bother my anymore since I've been playing FG800. Looking to add electronics so I figure just by a new one and hand down 800 to son. Any opinion on this would be good from folks who have them.

Thanks Jed
Old 08-27-2017, 08:43 AM

I have an LL6 ARE. It has a passive pickup, no batteries needed, just plug into the amp.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
I have an LL6 ARE. It has a passive pickup, no batteries needed, just plug into the amp.
Guess it depends on amp, but do you get enough volume to play in front of small crowd ?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 AM

I have a ls16m. I initially took home a fs820 but found the width was too narrow for me. ls16 felt much better. I do not play out but the volume from the preamp would seem to be enough for plugging into amp. I think the ls6 will be fine.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I had the older version of the LS6 and didn't care for it's boxy sound and wide body. I'm not sure of the specs now, as they revamped this model I believe. Mine had a 1 3/4 nut.

I absolutely love my new FS800 vintage tint. I am fine with the narrower nut. The tone is unbelievable, thanks to Yamaha adding scalloped bracing in the 800 line. I imagine the bigger FG sounds tremendous. Best $169 I've ever spent! My Martins are very sad from little playing time.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I had the older version of the LS6 and didn't care for it's boxy sound and wide body. I'm not sure of the specs now, as they revamped this model I believe. Mine had a 1 3/4 nut.

I absolutely love my new FS800 vintage tint. I am fine with the narrower nut. The tone is unbelievable, thanks to Yamaha adding scalloped bracing in the 800 line. I imagine the bigger FG sounds tremendous. Best $169 I've ever spent! My Martins are very sad from little playing time.
The new LS6 essentially the same guitar as before but with the A.R.E treatment (which really does work), and the addition of a passive UST. I recommended it (the earlier non-A.R.E. version), to a friend and I didn't find it boxy at all.

Last edited by AndrewG; 08-27-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 AM

Specs on one at Sweetwater shows 1.75" nut.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
Specs on one at Sweetwater shows 1.75" nut.
But they aren't, quite.
Or maybe it is but just has a narrower string spacing than any other 1.75 nut guitar?
I installed an aftermarket nut on my 2015 LS6M A.R.E.
Truthfully, in 2 years it has maybe 2 hours on it. I do not like the tone at all.
Sounds lush but thin. Picking single string notes sounds kinda flat.
Buy from a shop with a good return policy just in case.
I am selling mine soon to buy an XBox One.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM

I have one. I bought it because in over 50 years of playing on and off I've never had a Yamaha. It was the first lam b&s guitar I've bought in years so I knew it would be different. To be honest, I don't like the tone much at all. It sounds like I always believed a laminate b&s guitar would. There really is no tone, it's just a guitar like sound. Then, and I don't really know why, I decided to buy another lam b&s guitar. A Sigma JMSG45. Now this is a completely different sound. It sounds like an all solid. Try it if you can.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:16 PM

Do a search as there is a previous thread on the LS6 spacing. As I said on that thread, I have both an LS6 and an FG800. I regularly play both guitars and I cannot tell any difference in string spacing. To me, the only noticeable difference in the way they place is the shape of the frets. The FG800 seems to have slightly lower frets, but it may be more shape than actual height.

The LS6 is a lot of fun to play, and it is a comfortable size for couch strumming.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Necro-bump....

I'm considering an LS6 ARE rosewood and an FS830, also rosewood lam.

I know the physical differences (and don't have any issue with nut width), but having not been able to find an FS800 locally, can anyone describe the tonal differences, if any?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 AM

The engelmann top on the LS is going to create more complex tones and is probably better suited for fingerstyle and can sound a little "busy" when strummed real hard. The FS has excellent bracing and the bass response is quite good for its size. I have played an FS800 and FS820, and though they are laminate b/s, they have a bigger midrange sound than the LS. I have never played an FS830, so I'd be anxious to hear one.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:28 AM

FS800, 820, 830 - They're all laminate. Does it matter what the outer layer is made of?
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
FS800, 820, 830 - They're all laminate. Does it matter what the outer layer is made of?
Actually, they have solid tops.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Finally getting around to ordering another Yamaha, but as I read some reviews, I see the LS6 is not really a 1 3/4 guitar as advertised. Not a big problem, I just don't want it any narrower than the FG model. Since I'm buying without trying, I'm just making sure of this fact from guys here who actually have one.

Also, I narrowed this down to LS6 vs FGX800c (or FSX800c). Cost about the same after you figure in case. The size or nut width doesn't bother my anymore since I've been playing FG800. Looking to add electronics so I figure just by a new one and hand down 800 to son. Any opinion on this would be good from folks who have them.

Thanks Jed
The LS has the same nut width as my old LL; 1 3/4", or 44mm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion