The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Default 7 string flat/half wound sets?

I'm inching closer to picking up a Greg German archtop. He normally uses a half-wound set with a .070 woundwound B. D'Addario's flatwound set was a little light in his opinion.

Other alternatives?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Try these:

http://www.juststrings.com/lab-800-7.html

FWIW you can also get D'Addario .065, .075, and .080 flatwound singles to add to your favorite Chromes set - a 12-52+75 or 13-56+80 might be a viable option; unfortunately everything else is geared toward the headbanger crowd, so that's just about it for the jazzers...
Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Try these:

http://www.juststrings.com/lab-800-7.html

FWIW you can also get D'Addario .065, .075, and .080 flatwound singles to add to your favorite Chromes set - a 12-52+75 or 13-56+80 might be a viable option; unfortunately everything else is geared toward the headbanger crowd, so that's just about it for the jazzers...
Gotcha. Thanks. Yeah, very limited indeed. I think the tail piece can only accept up to a .070. I might have to stick with a roundwound 7th string.

Not too many non-metal 7 string players. It took me a while to find out that D'Addario also made the only coated .070 acoustic string.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
...I think the tail piece can only accept up to a .070. I might have to stick with a roundwound 7th string....
Or not; I took a look at the two different tailpieces Greg German uses on the DB models (I assume that's what you're getting) and it shouldn't be a problem for him to enlarge the slot/hole to accommodate an .075 low B if necessary - heck, it you've got any woodworking skills you could probably do it yourself. If you're going the George Van Eps route with one of those Stromberg/D'Angelico models (I love the one he's got on the website) that metal tailpiece might present a problem - again, if you or a friend has machine shop/gunsmithing skills that too is an easy fix...

Post some pics upon arrival...
Old 12-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Or not; I took a look at the two different tailpieces Greg German uses on the DB models (I assume that's what you're getting) and it shouldn't be a problem for him to enlarge the slot/hole to accommodate an .075 low B if necessary - heck, it you've got any woodworking skills you could probably do it yourself. If you're going the George Van Eps route with one of those Stromberg/D'Angelico models (I love the one he's got on the website) that metal tailpiece might present a problem - again, if you or a friend has machine shop/gunsmithing skills that too is an easy fix...

Post some pics upon arrival...
It's Greg's DB7.

Hard to say if the mismatched string is an issue or if I really eant to get a .075 without playing it first.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM

Bumping. I asked a D'Addario rep if they'd ever consider a .070 half-wound for my archtop 7 or a .070 80/20 EXP for my 7 string acoustic. Out of the blue, I get some of these on my door step!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM

Great idea - I might just hit up LaBella for a custom short-scale "1954" (.052 -.110) bass set for my Gibson...
Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 PM

If LaBella won't do it, Curt Mangan can wind short scale strings. I have a 32" scale 7 string bass and the low B, E, and A strings have a shorter winding so they can fit in the tuner. The rest of the strings are standard winding because the tuner is out far enough and they're thinner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops