The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-14-2020, 09:07 AM

Default Regluing of bridge on a Spanish guitar

Hello, the bridge of the Spanish guitar came loose after some work with the putty knife. I intend to glue it back with hide glue.
However, there is a cut in the top. (It can be seen as a slight shadow in parallell to the grains).
It doesnīt go through the top and I donīt know how far it reaches.
Should the cut be fixed before the bridge is glued on, or is it an equally good procedure to glue the bridge and the cut in one moment, please?

If your opinion is that the cut should be fixed first, what is a suitable material to place between the clamp and the top?
So the top doesnīt stick to the clamp, please.

Kind regards
Old 01-14-2020, 09:29 AM

Typically what you try to do is remove the spruce splinters from the bottom of the bridge with a very sharp chisel. Then you glue them in place where they belong with flat cauls and clamping pressure. Clean up the foot print area and the bottom of the bridge and glue it.

Otherwise don't worry about it. That's not too terrible and you will still get good strength gluing the bridge over that.

I'm going to guess that you taped up around the bridge before trying to remove it. IMO it's better if you do not do that.

Also for the next time you might do this operation do some research on grain runout. I think Frank Ford has a good article on it in regards to removing a bridge. Once you figure that out you will get minimal if any at all tear out like that.

But again, that's not bad so don't worry about it.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:51 AM

Yup, just squish/pole some glue into that little wound when you glue the bridge. Gluing surface looks perfectly ready to go.

HIde glue (hot or liquid) or regular Titebond will do the job.

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair