The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-06-2020, 04:31 PM

Default Fret Buzz

So I have a Yamaha acoustic guitar. An older version, probably mid-eighties. It's nothing fancy but works great. Call me sacrilegious, but I have always run electric nickel strings on my acoustic guitars. I just like the way it feels and sounds. In the past, I always used sets of D'Adarrio 11-56. Yesterday I went to change my strings and put on a set of 11-49. I didn't figure there would be a problem. The first and second frets on the high e string are completely dead. They seem to be hitting the third fret. Every other note up and down the neck is perfect. I'm concerned with adjusting the truss and screwing something up. Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2020, 10:43 PM

Adjust the truss rod a 1/4 turn.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:02 PM

1/4 turn is a big adjustment.

First, measure (or at least subjectively assess) relief:

Use fretting hand finger to fret string @ 1st fret. Simultaneously, use picking hand pinky to fret same string @ 14th fret. Use picking hand index finger to tap on string @ 7th fret... Idea is to assess how high above the 7th fret the string sits.

If there is clearance between string and 7th fret to fit one or two sheets of notebook paper, relief is about right. If less, you need to loosen the truss rod a bit.

Perhaps the easy answer here is to switch back to the old strings??
Old 01-06-2020, 11:19 PM

I am looking into getting the same strings. And am willing to adjust the truss if need be. I just couldnt understand why the same gauge high e string was muted all of the sudden. Made me concerned if there was something I was missing. Thanks for the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair