The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

https://youtu.be/_Oob8Q0wqNU

https://youtu.be/dbLv1q3GQVU

http://www.jblpro.com/Microsite-eonone-pro/

Differences from the existing JBL Eon One

1. Same (6) 2" drivers in the array. (Good)
2. 8" woofer instead of the 10" - for a 25% smaller box. (Probably OK)
3. Lithium Ion rechargeable battery (6-hours play time at full power - wow!)
4. Weighs 2.5 lbs less than the current model.
5. 4 combo full inputs in the 7 channel mixer. (Finally)
6. Phantom power for XLRs. (Finally)
7. High Z for guitars on the mixer. (Yes!)
8. XLR output for expansion. (Finally)
9. $500 higher list price than the existing unit. (Saw that coming)
10. Connector for lighting or GoPro camera accessory. (Hmmmm)
11. Flip up tablet tray. (Hmmmm)
12. USB port for tablet charging. (Smart)

Looks like the listened to all the criticisms of the short comings from the original design, fixed them, added battery power, shrunk the big box, and raised the price. The mixer is much improved.

What's the best part? You can get the really great current JBL Eon One for $800 with the roller bag!

OpenRoadMatt, behold your new PA system...

Well done JBL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-05-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:44 PM

Hi MartinGitdave, didn't I say to wait for Harman to improve the JBL eon one?

Well it does not have the tablet remote control but it does have a better mixer and... battery powered operation.

If that unit does what it is supposed to do, I bet they are going to sell plenty of them...

I wonder if Bose will respond to that...

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 04-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post

Hi MartinGitdave, didn't I say to wait for Harman to improve the JBL eon one?

Well it does not have the tablet remote control but it does have a better mixer and... battery powered operation.

If that unit does what it is supposed to do, I bet they are going to sell plenty of them...

I wonder if Bose will respond to that...

Cuki

It is a known and established fact that if I buy a product, within 6 weeks, they will release a better one. :-)

My only consolation is that my new (now obsolete) unit, plus the price of the XR12 Air mixer, is still $450 less than this new unit. I also like the 10" speaker in the current model, considering it's only 3 lbs heavier. (See how I turned that around? :-)) And, if I need battery power, I can get a used Mackie Freeplay.

That said, it looks like they did everything right with the redesign. As an engineer, I love to see meaningful improvement in design. My question, too, is what Bose will respond with?

I look forward to your dispersion chart posting on this new unit in 3 months.

Fun stuff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-04-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 PM

Can't find a website on this. Lots on the previous version.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Can't find a website on this. Lots on the previous version.
It was released in the last 24 hours. They just completed the website. There are still spelling errors. :-)

http://www.jblpro.com/Microsite-eonone-pro/

Old 04-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Very interesting. I really liked the first version, but sold it to stick with my Bose compact for three reasons: It was quite a bit bigger (and heavier) to carry than the Bose, and it was much underpowered; really had to crank it for medium-sized patio jobs. Also the mixer left much to be desired - too few channels, etc.

Very cool of JBL to listen and "build a better mousetrap". Can't wait to check it out and thanks for sharing y'all!

Steve-R
Old 04-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-R View Post
Very interesting. I really liked the first version, but sold it to stick with my Bose compact for three reasons: It was quite a bit bigger (and heavier) to carry than the Bose, and it was much underpowered; really had to crank it for medium-sized patio jobs. Also the mixer left much to be desired - too few channels, etc.

Very cool of JBL to listen and "build a better mousetrap". Can't wait to check it out and thanks for sharing y'all!

Steve-R

Hi Steve, there is an issue with the preamp gain staging. You need to basically use everything on the mic setting. Or if you use the line in, it needs to be pegged. The actual power of the system is pretty impressive if you get the gain staging right. Several of us learned the hard way. Glad you're happy with the Bose L1C. That's a great unit too.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Am probably getting this!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It is a known and established fact that if I buy a product, within 6 weeks, they will release a better one. :-)

My only consolation is that my new (now obsolete) unit, plus the price of the XR12 Air mixer, is still $450 less than this new unit. I also like the 10" speaker in the current model, considering it's only 3 lbs heavier. (See how I turned that around? :-)) And, if I need battery power, I can get a used Mackie Freeplay.

That said, it looks like they did everything right with the redesign. As an engineer, I love to see meaningful improvement in design. My question, too, is what Bose will respond with?

I look forward to your dispersion chart posting on this new unit in 3 months.

Fun stuff!!!

The French magazine has just released the jbl eon one review... It's going to take a year before they test the new one. The dispersion should be the same since the array is exactly the same.

Be careful Martingitdave, from what you've just said, I conclude that Martin is going to make a killer bluegrass guitar in 6 weeks...

And behringer will update the xr12 with 5 ghz wifi, convolution reverb, html5 web app for multi support compatibility, a more user friendly interface, bulky-in looper... And guess what a manual!!!
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 04-05-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The French magazine has just released the jbl eon one review... It's going to take a year before they test the new one. The dispersion should be the same since the array is exactly the same.

Be careful Martingitdave, from what you've just said, I conclude that Martin is going to make a killer bluegrass guitar in 6 weeks...

And behringer will update the xr12 with 5 ghz wifi, convolution reverb, html5 web app for multi support compatibility, a more user friendly interface, bulky-in looper... And guess what a manual!!!

Ha!

Good point about dispersion being the same. I wonder what changes the 8" speaker will make. My guess is the box size and the battery power were the drivers for the speaker size change? Maybe it makes the sound more coherent too?

You are probably not far too off on the XR12. In fact, I suspect you're absolute correct in your prediction, especially HTML5 direct interface. Who he hell wants to keep developing 4 distinct platform apps for every product? Not me!

As far as Martin is concerned, they release a new model every week. :-). However, the last "innovation"' I read about from Martin was a "relic" option for the authentic series. That sort of made me scratch my head. Pay them extra to beat the crap out of it? Hmmmmm.... no.

Where did they get the "idea"? There is a new guitar brand called Pre-war, that makes about 4 models of iconic pre war Martin and Gibson guitars. Videos appear to show an astonishing similarity to the actual pre war models in tone and appearance. They do the relic finish as a standard. But, they use a more modern neck with dual action truss rod. This is heresy, but I think they sound closer than the Martin Authentic. Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone. If I ever get the urge for a pre war replica, I'll buy one of those used. It would be a true bluegrass guitar. They're less expensive for Brazilian rosewood.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:55 AM

Does it have less, the same, or more power?
Old 04-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
OpenRoadMatt, behold your new PA system...
Those are some nice upgrades! But I'll be sticking with my 2 originals.

The nice part about my current set up is that everything stays the same whether I'm using one Eon One or two.

Even with the better mixer and the XLR out, it would be more complicated for me to chain two of these together.

It is great that JBL listed!

Matt
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post

Same. Evidently. Just better gain staging on the mixer. It never lacked amplifier power. Just preamp gain on the mixer.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Those are some nice upgrades! But I'll be sticking with my 2 originals.

The nice part about my current set up is that everything stays the same whether I'm using one Eon One or two.

Even with the better mixer and the XLR out, it would be more complicated for me to chain two of these together.

It is great that JBL listed!

Matt

I agree. It's great work, and I would buy it if I was starting over. But, I'm satisfied with the One now that I worked around the mixer short comings. Having it all in one box is nice, but not nice enough to take a hit on resale and trade up. Especially if it sounds equivalent.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
It's rated 117dB SPL. So it's the same.

Basically only the bass will suffer. SPL is measured at 1 Khz so only the array is concerned by this specification.

There will be less bottom end since you have a smaller speaker, a smaller enclosure (less air-mass) and battery operation. But I think the JBL eon one was designed for DJs... Because the BOSE L1 compact could not handle Deep bass. That's why the JBL mixer does not have Hi-Z inputs. They really wanted to hit that market and did not think much about singer-songwriters.

Now they have discovered that some people from the Bose market did actually bought the JBL eon one and some of them have reported the Bose to sound somewhat better or clearer... In the french magazine review, one of the main criticism was overwhelming bass that could not be tamed since there was no low-cut: specially for vocals.

So they've stripped the bass with solo acoustic player in mind. They've put a smaller speaker in a smaller enclosure and added battery. It's as if they actually read acousticgutar forum!!!

I think it's a bit expansive because you are close to Bose L1S... But it's definitely worth the try.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification