The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2016, 08:33 AM

>With the system off of the ground, that thudding was mitigated a bit

I just learned this at Sweetwater's Gear Fest... that energy transmission through the floor is actually a huge issue, particularly with feedback. The mic stand itself can contribute to issues.

So, when you picked the entire until off the floor that reminded me of that. I wonder if, in general, isolating any speaker from the floor (a thick iso pad like used for studio monitors) might give you more control over the low-end?

Of course, can you really isolate with a piece of foam given the weight of these things? I dunno.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkenBlues View Post
I spoke to a Fishman rep at Sweetwater's GearFest and he said the new unit should be shipping in about 3 weeks and said it will be a HUGE improvement over the SA220 which I never heard but everyone seems to love.

Another Forum member was able to get more info on this new model.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=437707

I hope that helps.
I have owned the SA220 and subsequently went to QSC K10s. In considering the JBL EON One as a more portable solution, I heard about something new coming from Fishman. When searching for the SA330x I found a photo and from the photo it appears that the speaker array is the same and there is an external mixer to add 4 more channels and a sub. The person in the linked thread said it has more power.

Just from the photo I'm thinking the following.

Sound Quality/dispersion - I'm the most curious about this. Since the speaker array of the SA330x looks exactly the same as the SA220 I might assume that it sounds the same, but louder. Seems if you tested the One vs SA220 you'd be able to tell which sound you liked. I might also assume the dispersion will be the same as the SA220. The One has the ability to use none, one, or two spacers with the speaker. The SA seems to have a higher dispersion at 150 degrees horizontal vs 100 for the One and 60 degrees Vertical vs the One's 50. While the specs show the SA with better dispersion, is it consistently even like the One touts and the OP has confirmed? Bottom Line - I will have to hear them in person to decide which one sounds the best.

Mixer - The JBL mixer is lacking in gain on some inputs and its mixer in general is not as robust as the SA220/SA330x. If you intend to use the external Fishman mixer to add more channels then it's a wash with the One + external mixer. Bottom Line - Can't beat the input and output options of the SA, however if you plan to use the Fishman external mixer then no biggie to use and external mixer with the One.

Portability - This is where the One wins hands down. You know the speaker array of the Fishman is not breaking down to be more compact. The expanded mixer and sub would be separate items, though maybe the mixer would fit in the bag with the speaker array. Bottom Line - The One's compact design is perfect. The SA is 35lbs with bag and stand if you add the extra mixer and sub, it's weight and portability are not even close.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 08-15-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:04 AM

$999 - Appears to not include a sub or the mixer. Even though the photo has the expanded mixer the description says that you can add the mixer and sub if you want. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...ormance-system.

$149.95 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...ormance-system

There was no link for the sub.

I don't see the SA300 competing very well with the JBL EON One because of the extra cost of the mixer and sub, plus it falls short of the One on portability. For some the input/output options of the SA300 will be a deciding factor, but I have a small external mixer, plus a small personal monitor like the OP and must say I really am drawn to the portability of the One.

Thanks for this review, I'll be ordering the JBL One soon.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 08-18-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
$999 - Appears to not include a sub or the mixer. Even though the photo has the expanded mixer the description says that you can add the mixer and sub if you want. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...ormance-system.

$149.95 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...ormance-system

There was no link for the sub.

I don't see the SA300 competing very well with the JBL EON One because of the extra cost of the mixer and sub, plus it falls short of the One on portability. For some the input/output options of the SA300 will be a deciding factor, but I have a small external mixer, plus a small personal monitor like the OP and must say I really am drawn to the portability of the One.

Thanks for this review, I'll be ordering the JBL One soon.
$999 was the price point for the previous SA220. The common criticisms of that system were the lack of bass support and desire for more channels. It would appear that they addressed those issues directly with add ons. However, I suspect their intention is to use the Fish stick as a solo amp without the sub as a primary means of amplification.

For solo acts, I don't know that the sub is essential.

So, if I were to guess, the thinking was probably that the new product is for people who would primarily (say 75%) use it like the last product. But, for shows with bass, more singers, instruments, they can add the sub and mixer with no fuss. That way you don't waste your solo act gear investment, nor do you have to have a complete second system and learning curve. As far as the JBL, they are taking a different angle. If you need the sub, then their systems (plus a small mixer) could be a better investment.

Truth be told, with powered speakers, mixers, effects processors, acoustic amps, compact PA systems, there are endless ways to get awesome, crystal clear volume for under $1300 and 40lbs. This was not always the case.

Nice time in history to need an acoustic guitar and amplification.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-18-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

Truth be told, with powered speakers, mixers, effects processors, acoustic amps, compact PA systems, there are endless ways to get awesome, crystal clear volume for under $1300 and 40lbs. This was not always the case.

Nice time in history to need an acoustic guitar and amplification.

You're sure right about that! Isn't it great!

I think by the nature of their appearance all of these "tower" systems are going to get lumped together, compared and contrasted even if they are different with different intended uses.

I got myself in trouble (attacked and called names) with the SA220 faithful a while back for suggesting that the SA220 wasn't designed to be used in all of the same situations and couldn't cover as large an area as a Bose L1 Model 2 with 2 B1s!

So while some comparison is healthy and useful, in the end if you are entrenched in a belief and beholden to a certain system any information (even facts like subs vs no sub) isn't going to change anyone's mind.

We do have tons of choices and access to lots of info so we all get to find what works for us and ideally use it to share our music with as many people as possible.

I do really like how the new Fishman is scalable. The JBL is super portable but it's all or nothing. There may be times when I might want something smaller or when I'm crammed in a tight space and a sub is doing me more harm than good! So the fact that you can add and subtract things from the Fishman might be a very good thing!

All in all, I'm very happy with how my QSC mixer and my two Eon Ones handled the shows I've done with them so I'm good.......for now! :-)

Matt
Old 08-18-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
You're sure right about that! Isn't it great!

I think by the nature of their appearance all of these "tower" systems are going to get lumped together, compared and contrasted even if they are different with different intended uses.

I got myself in trouble (attacked and called names) with the SA220 faithful a while back for suggesting that the SA220 wasn't designed to be used in all of the same situations and couldn't cover as large an area as a Bose L1 Model 2 with 2 B1s!

So while some comparison is healthy and useful, in the end if you are entrenched in a belief and beholden to a certain system any information (even facts like subs vs no sub) isn't going to change anyone's mind.

We do have tons of choices and access to lots of info so we all get to find what works for us and ideally use it to share our music with as many people as possible.

I do really like how the new Fishman is scalable. The JBL is super portable but it's all or nothing. There may be times when I might want something smaller or when I'm crammed in a tight space and a sub is doing me more harm than good! So the fact that you can add and subtract things from the Fishman might be a very good thing!

All in all, I'm very happy with how my QSC mixer and my two Eon Ones handled the shows I've done with them so I'm good.......for now! :-)

Matt
Well stated Matt! Glad the JBLs are working out for you. I see the merits in each solution. Plus, you have to consider the philosophy behind the design. Fishman sells acoustic guitar amps. JBL sells versatile and affordable PA speakers and components. Bose sells "black box" magical sounding systems. The Line 6 I bought is a hybrid amp/mixer/PA speaker with crazy innovations. Carvin sells a complete/expandable PA system in a speaker cabinet.

They all sound great and offer variations on a theme.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:19 PM

Matt, when you use both Ones are you always doing the left and right to the respective Ones or a mono out to each One?

Do you do any panning on the mixer when connecting using the L/R out to the respective Ones?

I remember you saying that the audio is more directional when going L and R from mixer to the Ones and not as surround-sound like you like it.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Matt, when you use both Ones are you always doing the left and right to the respective Ones or a mono out to each One?

Do you do any panning on the mixer when connecting using the L/R out to the respective Ones?

I remember you saying that the audio is more directional when going L and R from mixer to the Ones and not as surround-sound like you like it.
When I'm using 2 Eon Ones I take a right out of my mixer to one of them and a left out to the other.

As for panning, when I'm using two I have both the guitar and the vocals straight up at center. I haven't tried panning either the guitar or vocals one way or the other with 2 systems.

What I meant with the more directional vs surround-ish is when I'm using only one Eon One.

My original thought is that I noticed a difference when I'm using only one Eon One and I take a right (as an example) out of my mixer and leave the guitar and vocals panned center vs panned hard right.

It seemed, originally, trying this only here at home, that with everything in the center and taking a right out, there was a little more space around the sound. I thought that could come in handy in small spaces or if the goal is more background music.

But this is only in my little office/music room.

I'm now using a new guitar with a different pickup system and although I haven't played much since I got home, I've been enjoying the sound with the guitar and vocals panned hard right with a right out to the system.

Just something to play with!

Matt
Old 08-29-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks Matt.

I am buying the One this week while sales are going on. Have also encouraged my friend who plays the flute to get one too.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:00 AM

Just ordered the eon 1. Should show up today or tomorrow. My overall impression is that it is probably the best portable system for the money it costs.
Especially for what I do... mellow voice and guitar for Hotel dining rooms and lounges. Sound quality supercedes ("trumps" has been exorcised from my vocabulary) loudness.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
("trumps" has been exorcised from my vocabulary)
+1, Bro!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-15-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
+1, Bro!
When that formerly innocent verb came to mind, it was a bit like discovering mouse droppings in my scrambled eggs.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Just ordered the eon 1. Should show up today or tomorrow. My overall impression is that it is probably the best portable system for the money it costs.
I am intrigued by this system. Please keep us posted as to your thoughts and observations once the unit arrives.

Quote:
...("trumps" has been exorcised from my vocabulary).
Funny......I actually DO find myself avoiding the use of that word......for exactly the same reason......
Old 11-15-2016, 01:22 PM

A friend with a good ear said he tried the Eon One and it doesn't sound nearly as good as his Turbosound i1000.

I have a Bose L1M2 with the works. I'm looking for something even more portable with simple setup as I play a lot of gigs where the Bose is overkill and my Loudbox isn't enough. I have some powered speakers and a mixer, but I'm looking for something with fewer cables and without a mixer etc...

Anyone compare the Eon One to the Turbosound models?
Old 11-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
A friend with a good ear said he tried the Eon One and it doesn't sound nearly as good as his Turbosound i1000.

I have a Bose L1M2 with the works. I'm looking for something even more portable with simple setup as I play a lot of gigs where the Bose is overkill and my Loudbox isn't enough. I have some powered speakers and a mixer, but I'm looking for something with fewer cables and without a mixer etc...

Anyone compare the Eon One to the Turbosound models?
Hopefully, someone can chime in. However, if you are looking to simplify, the Turbosound might not be a great fit. The mixer is too simple and won't provide the effects or control you might expect. You'd need a mixer or similar device, which defeats the purpose. The JBL has a built in multi channel mixer (though we were disappointed it only had 2 full channels).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification