The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Cool Which Composite Acoustics to buy?

I have a Cargo and love it. Therefore, I want a larger size carbon fiber by Composite Acoustics. I guess pre Pevey. Why? In order to get a fuller, richer sound for the stage when playing with a 5 piece band. I don't want a deep body though. I play Martin 000s not dreads. Any suggestions? thank you, michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I bought a Cargo in early '08 and was so impressed, 9 months later I bought its big brother, the GXi (in gloss tobacco burst). The GXi is a totally different beast, but still great in its own, unique way. I still have the Cargo (and doubt I'll ever part with it), but I sold the GXi about 6 months ago to help fund the purchase of my Emerald 6/12 doubleneck. I would recommend the GXi, or a GX, or if you want a shallower body, the X or Xi, the latter two likely won't project as well, but can't say for sure because I've never played them.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:44 PM

I'm really really happy with my CA GXi. I'm not sure what you mean though -- do you not think you can get a rich, full sound unless you have a pre-Peavey model???

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 PM

If you don't want a deep body your looking at a CA X or XI. A little over 3 inches deep. I had the CA X, good guitar very balance. Not a overwelming bass. Sold mine.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Don't forget the OX.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:39 AM

Talking

My personal favorite is the slim-body Xi-Performer, when plugged-in...
If not plugged-in on stage, I'll + 1 for the CA GXi, if you prefer more bass-response, and the GX if you prefer a more balanced sound
(now where's Jim Miller when you need him for comments on the GX vs GXi?)
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 AM

Don't overlook the Adamas contour.

Extreme play-ability, rich tone, and plugged in, it is top of the food chain.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_Chan View Post
My personal favorite is the slim-body Xi-Performer, when plugged-in...
If not plugged-in on stage, I'll + 1 for the CA GXi, if you prefer more bass-response, and the GX if you prefer a more balanced sound
(now where's Jim Miller when you need him for comments on the GX vs GXi?)
I'm Here, late night gig so just getting onboard.

For me I believe the GX or GXi is the best overall guitar that CA offers. Not saying it's a better made guitar than the others in their lineup just that it does it all really well. I have or still own one of every model in there lineup and if I had to get rid of some I'd be sure that my GX's would be the ones I'd be keeping.

Not really a big guitar and with the contours very comfy to play sitting or standing and a really nice balanced tone. If you really desire a slightly bigger guitar than the cargo the OX would also be a great choice just sounds smaller with less bass response and volume than a GX.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Cool Carbon Fiber

Thanks for the responses and suggestions....very much appreciated. Which I could play em all but, you know how that goes. Sean, I simply prefer CA pre-Peavey because, I believe the CAs will go up in value from a collector's stand point. As for sound, I assume the Peavey sounds just like the CA given that they are using the same building process. michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael s View Post
Thanks for the responses and suggestions....very much appreciated. Which I could play em all but, you know how that goes. Sean, I simply prefer CA pre-Peavey because, I believe the CAs will go up in value from a collector's stand point. As for sound, I assume the Peavey sounds just like the CA given that they are using the same building process. michael s.
Not a thing wrong with the Pre-Peavey guitars as I own a few of them still. I do however think that the Peavey guitars that I own are slightly better made, Fit & finish are better. I do believe they also sound a little better. Maybe a little louder & clearer to my ears at least.

One thing you need to keep in mind that some of the Pre-Peavey guitars did have some neck angle issues as I still have one that does. Not a huge deal but to get the action nice you don't have much saddle left and this hurts overall volume and really hurts in my opinion the output of the pickup (if it has one) as the downward pressure is not as great and this means less output and in a few words "just not as good".

Some may argue that this is being a little picky and really it is but My Peavey guitars are better guitars period.

As far as the old ones being worth more that may hold to be true for the future but for right now I think the new ones have hurt resale value of the older ones as I look at this alot.

Just my thoughts not the gospel by any means!
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I'm really really happy with my CA GXi. I'm not sure what you mean though -- do you not think you can get a rich, full sound unless you have a pre-Peavey model???
Stupid me. I have a GX, not a GXi -- I was thinking that the "i" meant with electronics. Anyway, let me change that to me being really happy with my GX!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM

"As far as the old ones being worth more that may hold to be true for the future but for right now I think the new ones have hurt resale value of the older ones as I look at this alot." From above

I think this is unfortunately true and Peavey kind of beat the drum on the improvements which I am not sure were huge, but quality control for Peavey is excellent.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-14-2013, 01:58 PM

"I simply prefer CA pre-Peavey because, I believe the CAs will go up in value from a collector's stand point."

I truly doubt either the pre-Peavey or Peavey CA guitars will ever have any serious collector value. Don't get me wrong, they're both great guitars. I own two pre-Peavey CAs (Vintage Performer and Cargo), have owned a third pre-Peavey (Xi) and have a Peavey GX. I just feel that none of these will ever gain any real collector status.

Old wood guitars will remain collectable for decades to come. However, new wood guitars aren't generally any better than older wood guitars. Of course, technology can help produce higher quality guitars, but are there any wood guitars built now that are better than a good pre-war Martin?

CF guitars, being a relatively new technology, will only get better and better. I fully expect the CF guitars of 2023 to be significantly better than what we have today. Who will want to acquire a vintage CA or Rainsong when the newest models blow them out of the water?

I could prove to be wrong. However, my recommendation would be to assume that both pre-Peavey and Peavey CA models will hold a decent value, but will never achieve collector status.

Find a guitar you can enjoy at a price you can afford and be happy.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
"I simply prefer CA pre-Peavey because, I believe the CAs will go up in value from a collector's stand point."

I truly doubt either the pre-Peavey or Peavey CA guitars will ever have any serious collector value. Don't get me wrong, they're both great guitars. I own two pre-Peavey CAs (Vintage Performer and Cargo), have owned a third pre-Peavey (Xi) and have a Peavey GX. I just feel that none of these will ever gain any real collector status.

Old wood guitars will remain collectable for decades to come. However, new wood guitars aren't generally any better than older wood guitars. Of course, technology can help produce higher quality guitars, but are there any wood guitars built now that are better than a good pre-war Martin?

CF guitars, being a relatively new technology, will only get better and better. I fully expect the CF guitars of 2023 to be significantly better than what we have today. Who will want to acquire a vintage CA or Rainsong when the newest models blow them out of the water?

I could prove to be wrong. However, my recommendation would be to assume that both pre-Peavey and Peavey CA models will hold a decent value, but will never achieve collector status.

Find a guitar you can enjoy at a price you can afford and be happy.
I second this whole heartedly!
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 07-14-2013, 04:15 PM

I've still got my pre-peavey GXi in Sunburst and it's rocking along. I do agree that the better the technology gets the better the instruments will get. But there's always something cool about a "pre" this or that instrument.

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber