The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar to bring to Guam

I'm contemplating moving to Guam for a bit of work. I don't think I'd like to take any of current acoustics. I have a Martin D 18GE a Breedlove 000 R and a Santa Cruz 000-29.
If that list gives you an idea of type of a guitar, and I am 60 or so and play music of that age 70 west coast byrds, dead, bluegrass, csny all that type.
I would be in Guam for a year possibly more. The humidity is high and lots of typhoon type of storms. Wet would be the best description.

I am clueless in the world of Carbon guitars. I'd like a little lesson as to what to look for, what type is a better strummer ( I don't focus on flatpick), I don't want to play plugged in so which guitar projects well?
Do they sound at all like wood? and from that question, where would you go to find them to try out/play? I live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 AM

Here's a list of Rainsong dealers. Might want to contact them ahead of traveling to their store. http://www.rainsong.com/dealers/
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 AM

I would try Rainsong and Peavey Composite Aciustics and see which one you like. These are the two with different voices and most available at stores. Call around and ask.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM

If you want a good strummer that sounds like a wood guitar, the best choice (IMO) is a CA dread (called Legacy now, various other names throughout the years). CA is the one CF manufacturer who has the stated goal of trying to build guitars with a traditional sound. If you like dreads and want one that sounds like a wood guitar, look no further. If you don't like dreads, you might also want to check out the CA OX, GX and GXi. If you want a travel sized guitar, the CA Cargo has a surprisingly big sound to it.

Rainsong is probably the best known CF company, with lots of offerings. It used to be that all of their guitars had a very crystalline tone, with bell-like trebles. They were not known for sounding like wood. However, they have come out with many newer models, several of which are warmer, woodier sounding. I don't have much hands on experience with them (I own a RS 12-string, but haven't played many of the 6-strings). The Shorty sounds like a good choice, or perhaps the new Parlor. Some of our Rainsong owners can likely give you more specific advice.

Emerald and Blackbird both have choices that might work for you, though their designs are a bit different (might not appeal to someone buying their first CF guitar).

Tell us more about what you're looking for in a guitar and we can probably give you some better advice.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 AM

One other thing. There are two well respected dealers who are sponsors of this forum that can probably give you a great deal of advice. The first, MacNichol Guitars, sells all makes of CF guitars. Michael Stone is the owner and is great to work with.

The other is LA Guitar Sales. I haven't dealt with them personally, but I've certainly read enough glowing reports from folks when dealing with Ted (I assume he has a last name, but I only know him as "Ted @ LA Guitar Sales"). I know they deal in Blackbird and Rainsong, not sure about any others.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 AM

In case you want to check out what the various manufacturers have to offer, here are links to their websites:

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/
http://www.rainsong.com/
http://www.emeraldguitars.com/
http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM

So, you have a dread and some 000's. I'm not completely familiar with those, but I believe the 000 is a smaller body, similar to an OM or even smaller, right? So, are you looking for something more like your dread, or something smaller?

If you're looking for a dread, there's a used CA Vintage Legacy dread for sale in the classifieds over at macnichol's site (sorry if I'm not allowed to point to this from this forum). I'd also look at a Concert dreadnought from Rainsong or a Composite Acoustics GX or GXi. Those are all great strummers, and project very well. You could also look at an Emerald X20-OS. Macnichol currently has a road trip going on that one. For $40, you can try out the guitar for a week. It's already underway, but he will probably let you join. This is a great way to spend some real time with a potential guitar.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 PM

I live in Minnesota where there is no humidity in the winter and it has 98% humidity in the summer. I travel about 25,000 miles in the winter months by truck. My Rainsong Shorty lives in the cold truck unless it's in the motel room with me. I can pull the Shorty out of the truck and bring it in to the motel with me and i hardly ever need to re-tune it. In the summer it lives in my cabin in the north woods where the temps and humidity are high. No problems there either.
The Shorty is the perfect travel guitar. Period.
By the way it sounds great too.
Good luck in Guam.
d
Gretch Resonator
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Captain...good story. the Shorty is a good one
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM

I have a pre-Peavey CA Legacy and a Rainsong Jumbo.
The CA definitely is warmer while the Rainsong is bolder with less warmth.

As strummers go either would be great.

How would a Yamaha FG730 do in Guam since it is partially laminate?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM

I be thinkin' the Yammy still has wood limitness
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks to all

The travel plans could be changing to the US Virgin Islands for the same amount of time.

Either way I see a Carbon in my future.
Thanks for the help, not I have my homework to do.

I'll keep you all posted.
Charlie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber