The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Patching My Evolve 50M To House PA

I'm going to be hosting an Open Mic down the road at a local venue. They have a JBL mixer, with some nice JBL speakers that are sitting up high in the room. The mixer is minimal, and I'd prefer to use my Evolve anyway, so that I can control the mix for performers via my iPad. The acoustics aren't great in the room (crowd noise is amplified and sound can bounce off the walls), and I thought maybe the sound could benefit from patching my Evolve into the JBL system (for fuller not louder). Do I simply run an XLR cable from the Aux Out on my Evolve to a channel input on the mixer? Would I choose Mic or Line on the mixer? I assume I'd start with the JBL system set flat, and control the EQ from the Evolve? Or am I just asking for trouble going this route?
FWIW, I'm doing a solo show there this week and will test the Evolve by itself (or consider tapping into the house system), but I won't have the benefit of walking around the room to dial in the mix. Here's the mixer, and thanks!

Old 04-25-2022, 06:20 PM

My biggest fear would be weird phase issues between your PA and theirs.

This very common situation, where you want to mix and monitor from something you are comfortable with (and love), yet want to take advantage of an existing house PA: this is EXACTLY the situation where the Elite Acoustics D6-58 shines!
Old 04-25-2022, 06:22 PM

Maybe put your system really close to one side of their system so that there aren’t any weird nodes because of the space between them.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Maybe put your system really close to one side of their system so that there aren’t any weird nodes because of the space between them.
Thanks--Not really possible as their mains are up on shelves close to the roof! Probably just going to go with my Evolve-but am I correct in how to connect the systems?

Last edited by Stringmaster; 04-25-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:25 AM

I think you would take the feed from the Evolve out of the "Main Out" (not the Aux out). It'll still be a line-level signal, and since you're intending to use the Evolve app.to mix, you'll want to be mixing from the "Main" mixer (not the Aux mixer section), as I assume you'll want to control the effects, etc.
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 04-28-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
I think you would take the feed from the Evolve out of the "Main Out" (not the Aux out). It'll still be a line-level signal, and since you're intending to use the Evolve app.to mix, you'll want to be mixing from the "Main" mixer (not the Aux mixer section), as I assume you'll want to control the effects, etc.
This. I’ve got a similar gig. Come out the main out into a channel of the house PA.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification