The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-18-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Taylor Re-doing Their Prior Repair. Epoxy???

I sent my 90s 814ce LTD Cocobolo back to Taylor for a top seam repair and butt end maple binding repair that came back in May 2017. The maple binding repair was flawless which was surprising since the binding actually broke and was separated. The top seam split (which happened about a week or two after the hit on the butt end that I hadn't noticed) was fixed, but visible. The set up was awesome.

Unfortunately, the top split open again about a month ago.

I contacted Taylor and they paid for the return, subject to their inspection for a humidity cause. They determined that the humidity level was good and said they didn't have a great explanation for the repair splitting open, but that they would repair it again and send it back. I was fine with all that. I wasn't in a rush, but they expedited it to get it back to me before I leave home for 6 weeks soon.

The guitar is on the way back to me and the repair note says that they repaired the top with "epoxy." The original repair said they "glued" the top. Is "epoxy" something normally used in a top repair?
Old 12-19-2019, 05:03 AM

Epoxy is used to ensure something does not move again, normal glues can creep or open under excessive humidity or temp swings.

They are likely playing it safe as its been repaired and opened up again

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Epoxy is used to ensure something does not move again, normal glues can creep or open under excessive humidity or temp swings.

They are likely playing it safe as its been repaired and opened up again

Steve
Likely. I hope it still looks good. I'll pick it up from the UPS warehouse tomorrow morning.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Most luthiers and techs would not use epoxy for such a repair. I don't think you should worry about it though. If you put your trust in Taylor I'm sure you will be fine. I use epoxy to join backs fwiw. For tops I use HHG now and Titebond in the past. HHG and Titebond are what is typically used for crack repair, sometimes perhaps CA. But epoxy is usually reserved for worse case scenarios. Again, if the guitar sounds fine, is structurally sound, and plays well then don't worry about it.

One more thing, it's not unusual at all to still see a crack repair after it's fixed.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Got the info directly from Taylor: “Good afternoon David. That is the difference; the epoxy is something we reserve for certain adhesion jobs. It does hold and wick better, and the reason why we typically don’t use it is that it requires so much more dry time, sanding, and finish work.”
Old 12-19-2019, 06:39 PM

Titebond and similar water based wood glues are 'one time' glues, meaning they don't stick well to previously glued surfaces......unless the surface is cleaned of all the old glue. This means removing some of the wood, since the glue penetrates below the surface. On a center seam or a previously glued crack, this involves widening the joint, and may require adding a spline of wood to achieve a decent fit. I suspect the failed repair was done with Titebond. Epoxy and CA glues function in a different way, and will stick to surfaces that are glue saturated.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 PM

While I don't work on guitars, I've used epoxy on wood for many years - and what Taylor says is true. There is a minimum time of 24 hrs for full cure, and it cures very hard. Can be a real bugger to sand down without damaging the wood around it. Not that it can't be done, just takes time and care. It will come out just fine, they are pros at this. But due to the above added difficulty it is not the first choice for an adhesive. But at times it is the right choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair