The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 PM

Default A Rainsong S-WS1000N2 is visiting...

This Rainsong will probably end up being mine, but for the moment I'm just checking it out. So far I like it. It's used. $1399. It's consigned so there's probably not a lot of negotiating to be had, but that seems to be about market value as well.

The first thing I notices is that harmonics REALLY jump out of it. It has a nice even tone to my heathen ears. It came home with me because I may end up doing some world traveling and I'd like to have a guitar that doesn't require TLC or a lot of maintenance. This fits the bill.

I'll do some forum searches in a bit. Of course I'm interested to hear other (more experienced) guitarists opinions.

KO
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
G625 mistral-k

We received our S-OM1100 N2 from LAGuitars back in May. We just changed out the strings and just Saturday put a set of Thomas Infield Plectrums 11-50's on it. They really sound quite good on the OM. Ergonomically, we love it and the TI Plectrums it really makes it sound much warmer. Two thumbs!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM

My Taylor 314CE is sweeter. The Rainsong is louder despite being smaller. I can be happy with either, but I like the idea of not having to put the Rainsong in its case all the time. I like the idea of just grabbing the thing.

The Taylor stays in tune for weeks at a time, but the Rainsong is so tough that it's got some serious advantages. I'm not sure if I have to choose, which is a good thing. They both have real advantages.

I wish the case of the Rainsong was nicer - I fly to Billings, Montana at the end of the month and my Taylor GS Mini Hog is still the front runner for that trip because the case is so sturdy. Good for gate checking. I have no doubt that the Rainsong would survive the trip just fine. A nicer case (at least along the lines of what the GS Mini comes with) would make this a no-brainer purchase.

It's still reasonably likely to stay with me for a while.

KO
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi KO,

You mention the case that came with the Rainsong in comparison to the GSmini... is it a hard case or a gig bag? The case that came on my recently purchased Shorty SG-FLE is a very nice TKL Limited Edition. It is a very well made hard case (much nicer than the case that came with my Taylor 814ce)... but, it weighs a ton. OK, not literally, it's probably only 1200 pounds, plus or minus.

I asked on this forum about a gig bag for the Shorty and was given recommendations on several manufacturers. It seems that I compare any gig bag to the one on my GSmini - that is just a great bag that supports/protects the guitar nicely, has comfortable backpack style straps, and is lightweight.

I'm still looking.

Captain Jim

PS I am a Taylor guy, too, but I have to say this Rainsong has its own pleasant unique sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber