The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Sorry if you thought I was being insulting - that surely wasn't my intent. But I still don't see the need for an amp to work on timing. A metronome should do it - you can buy one or nearly any phone app for guitars will have one. Loopers can help with timing, but mostly getting a smooth transition between the end and beginning of the measure so it'll loop smoothly - you can be totally off on every beat between the stop-start place and the looper won't help you with that.

Hey, if you want an amp, and a DI, and all of the stuff, knock yourself out, but I really don't see the need for your stated situation.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Your question is great. You've helped a lot of people with the great answers that have be given. Feel happy youre in the group, AGF People.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Thanks for the replies guys... all of them!!! lol... as the young people say.

The 'need' for electrics was just so that I could play back what I was doing and hear it objectively, rather than thinking it was as good as I think it sounds in my head.

Timing is one thing - sure, I appreciate that a simple metronome can deal with that.

But surely musicality is only something you can hear in the 'third person' as it were... by playing back a recording or video, no?

Maybe I'm odd, but if I rely on just listening as I'm playing, it always sounds fine (just like I always sound like James Taylor when I'm singing to myself!), whereas when I've used a looper before, it's made me realise the reality is different.

The other thing about 'electrics' is that there are some fun tools around to make practice a little more interesting, especially for a 'Billy No Mates' player like me (joking... I have friends, honest, I do, really.... ).
Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Your question is great. You've helped a lot of people with the great answers that have be given. Feel happy youre in the group, AGF People.
Thanks Mercy - I appreciate that.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Thanks for the replies guys... all of them!!! lol... as the young people say.

The 'need' for electrics was just so that I could play back what I was doing and hear it objectively, rather than thinking it was as good as I think it sounds in my head.

Timing is one thing - sure, I appreciate that a simple metronome can deal with that.

But surely musicality is only something you can hear in the 'third person' as it were... by playing back a recording or video, no?

Maybe I'm odd, but if I rely on just listening as I'm playing, it always sounds fine (just like I always sound like James Taylor when I'm singing to myself!), whereas when I've used a looper before, it's made me realise the reality is different.

The other thing about 'electrics' is that there are some fun tools around to make practice a little more interesting, especially for a 'Billy No Mates' player like me (joking... I have friends, honest, I do, really.... ).
Oh yeah, recording yourself and listening to it more objectively than you can when you’re playing in the moment is a great idea. But again, no need for an amp. Record yourself on your phone, maybe get a USB mic for it if you want. As noted above, I record videos of myself pretty regularly and it does help. Or use Garage Band or similar and you can even play around with multi-track recording. Those are all good ideas - they just don’t need much in the way of gear...

Regardless, have fun!

-Ray
Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
...What's the simplest set-up you can think of for practice and learning...
  • Guitar
  • Hands
  • Ears
  • Pick (optional)
Worked for countless musicians over the last 500 years; supplement that with as much live-show attendance as your wallet/schedule can handle (local acts are OK - there's a surprising amount of unsigned talent out there - and there are subtleties of performance technique that a typical video can't capture), put in some targeted practice (work on your areas of difficulty - don't just "noodle" or repeat the same riffs ad infinitum), and don't make the mistake of expecting immediate results - as the old Latin proverb states, nil sine magno labore...
Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM

Most days I use a strap and a music stand. It sounds like you might enjoy a metronome app for your phone.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

I know you said you didn't want to get involved with a computer but why not find some easy songs on Youtube and play along? I learned to play 55 years ago by playing along with The Kingston Trio on an album on my record player. Youtube is easier.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:51 PM

I usually play my acoustics without an amp at home. But, but, but...when you play through an amp you really hear all the little subtle mistakes. Fingers slightly mute an adjacent string, missed notes on a string, missed passing notes, missed base lines...they are all amplified and painfully appear.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
...when you play through an amp you really hear all the little subtle mistakes...
I guess I inhabit the vicious circle that is masochism and perfectionism, because finding all the subtle (and not so subtle) mistakes is what I figured to be a good thing.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:52 PM

Quite in the same boat...
I could not work with a metronome by myself.
Found a teacher to help with technique and had to work the rhythm :
Learned to tap my foot and follow a metronome.
I do not see tabbed tune the same way now that I can read rhythm on the staff.
A teached really helped !
Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 PM

Tascam DR-05X.

https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-05x/top
Old 06-12-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I guess I inhabit the vicious circle that is masochism and perfectionism, because finding all the subtle (and not so subtle) mistakes is what I figured to be a good thing.
We all learn differently and have different tastes. I think plugging in and using a Looper is a very good leanring/practicing tool for you. Coming from electric guitar you are in a comfort zone with an amp. Recording and playing back is the best, most honest form of feedback.

Buy a Fishman Loudbox Mini or the Artist if you want to spend extra. Hook up your Ditto Looper and have at it.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
What's the simplest set-up you can think of for practice and learning. I'm 'Old Skool' / analogue, by the way, so I don't want to sit in front of a computer.

Art.
I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by avoiding a computer.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by avoiding a computer.
If you decide to rethink the computer or ipad option.....this guy was a lot of fun to just get some songs under my belt when I first started learning....He has over a thousand strum videos I think. All the lyrics are on the screen as well as the chords he uses. Worked well for practice for me.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MunsonC...ch?query=strum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion