The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 AM

"Polyvalent"? As an amateur linguist I too found your choice of words interesting. Obviously it was used in the generic idiom. Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
I hope you are not thinking about buying this new guitar (whatever brand/model) before doing a bunch of head-to-head comparisons where you are actually playing the guitars! Don't forget to bring along your trusty Yamaha as a reference. I don't think I'm the only one that finds my actual preferences when I'm playing a guitar in person differ considerably from what they would be listening to recordings or reading descriptions of tone.

BTW, taking along a Yamaha (various models) for head-to-head comparisons has saved me a lot of money over the years. Same holds for my modded MIM tele and electrics.
I totally agree. You should play the SPECIFIC instruments you are considering. I think when evaluating instruments you need a "known" control instrument. You'll most likely be trying instruments in a foreign environment- and somehow they always sound better at the store.

As far as RW vs hog, that's a personal choice. I've never been a fan of hog as it is too dry for my taste. OTOH, RW can be a little too "wet" for some people. You have to choose what's best for your situation, and live instrument auditions is, IMO, the only way to go.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Edit: I’m not sure if £ = €. So pardon me if I’m incorrect.
Nope, not the same (but that's OK)

£ = British Pounds

€ = Euros
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 AM

I was going to say/reinforce what neil said, twice. The mahogany is a more versitile (poly...) and less specialized sound that would likely fit your more current interests. Which by the way I think are very well served by the L-03, a great choice in an all around guitar. My take is that you should grab the L-03 and then later, when you want to add another guitar with a particular distinctiveness, the OM-03R will be waiting for you. You did a very nice job of research and narrowing down your choices. You are ready.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Nope, not the same (but that's OK)

£ = British Pounds

€ = Euros

Thanks! Which one is bigger?
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Bonjour. I would not put too much weight on recorded comparison samples, or expect that there will be significant differences between the sapele and rosewood other than their looks. Otherwise I find that Larrivees are very consistent great guitars that I like better in stores than Martins, Taylors, or Gibsons that can cost a lot more. My friends who own them love them. If you buy a L-03 chances are that you will too.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Rosewood = Single coil
Mahogany = humbucker
Old 06-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muadgil View Post

Tried Martin, now that's guitar foundation ! Perhaps too much by the way. Their GPCRSGT was quite good to my taste, liked that low/mid/high balance, and the price is fine. But I'm kinda snob about this one I admit... Plastic fretboard, made in China :-(

Made in China ? Are you sure about that ? I'm sure they are made in Martin's Mexican plant.

Don't discount Martin's US built 15 series, amazing guitars for the money.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM

You're right, they're mexican... but still with a "rich" plastic fretboard :-)

Thank you all for you're advices and experiences. Neil, your description of overtones definitly settled what I was thinking. I like good foundation and precise sound, a touch of reverb can be add in a mix, but not erased from a take.
I felt hog was a better choice, now I'm sure which one I'll choose for that first one. (not saying I won't check OM rosewood down the road...)

There will be a NGD thread soon !

PS : 1£=1.12€ today, and I won't say polyvalent anymore :-)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Rosewood = Single coil
Mahogany = humbucker
Funny that you say this, and I can see the analogy.
I'm an exclusive single coil player. Go figure ... :-)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Bonjour,
I have owned and played a Larivee parlor (with Koa sides and back) for a decade. When I travel, it’s my only guitar. I have been impressed with every Larivee I’ve played.

It took me a long time to settle the Rosewood/ Mahogany issue. But I have. My main guitars that I gig with are a Gibson J 50 and a Martin 000 18. Both are Mahogany. I’m mostly a finger style player. To me, Mahogany sounds best for my playing.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-12-2019, 02:16 PM

I haven't played a L-03R but have an older L-09 that is a great guitar. Likewise, I have not played a L-03, but have several mahogany Larrivees including an LS-03, which is an OM-sized L-shaped body. So while my comparison is not exact, it is informed.

The rosewood has lots of bass and overtones while the mahogany is dryer and less "full", also more versatile. I find myself neglecting the two rosewood guitars I have and choosing from the mahogany models, Larrivee and others.

Larrivee builds wonderful guitars and you couldn't find a better initial size than the L or a better wood choice than mahogany (or whichever substitute Larrivee uses).
Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Welcome to the AGF!

Having played both, to MY ears, I vastly prefer Larrivée in mahogany over rosewood. But I prefer mahogany in very single guitar I’ve ever played except a Collings, so there’s that.

I just feel Larrivée does mahogany exceptionally well, and given the choice, I’d take mahogany hands down.

For the record, I’ve owned a Larrivée L-03, oM-40 and just added an OM-03...all mahogany.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Having read the actual question I will answer that instead of some version of "my favorite guitar."

I would have to lean toward the mahogany backed guitar, if they were otherwise equal. I find that mahogany-backed guitars tend to have better definition string to string than rosewood does, in with the individual string notes tend to wash together a little bit. No doubt from the increased overtones, which the mahogany guitars, being biased towards the fundamental, have a sharper definition.

OMMV
Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM

I urge you to try a Furch. European made, and sound fantastic. Try their blue series which is all solid, with Khaya (common hog substitute).if not their indigo and violet models will still be good!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Wow, I didn't think everybody would agree about this choice.
I found exactly what I was searching, writing this post.
Great advices and experiences, that's helped to settle my mind.

Also great welcomes, and many nice people that took the time to answer to a newb in here (it's not always that case in forums...)
Many thanks to you all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion