The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Default This is what heaven must sound like....

When it’s my turn to enter the pearly gates, I imagine heaven sounding like this....the sound of angels... and it could be yours for a mere $60k (1941 D-28 lefty)

https://youtu.be/3Nrc1Uvptxw
IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Something about that guitar doesn't look right. The headstock is the Gibson "open book" style and the tuners look like modern enclosed tuners.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Okay I read the description on Elderly's site. The neck is factory original and built to accommodate some fine tuners which are long gone. I'm stunned that they copied the Gibson style.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Something about that guitar doesn't look right.

The headstock is the Gibson "open book" style and the tuners look like modern enclosed tuners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post

I'm stunned that they copied the Gibson style.
But the guitar was custom ordered by the original owner, a professional touring musician (the Martin records in fact reveal that it was a special order). That's the headstock style he wanted--which according to the commentators in the videos, below, looks somewhat like a Martin mandolin's from the early 1900s--and so Martin specially designed it to his specifications. The original tuners are long gone, of course.

If you watch the following videos at the Elderly site, the origin of that headstock is fully explained.

Video #1--Headstock origin discussed, beginning at around the 4:53 mark.

Video #2--Headstock origin discussed, beginning at around the 4:23 mark.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 AM

I've never seen a Martin headstock shape like a Gibson- even on '37s. I've never seen a vintage lefty either. Since this guitar is/was at Elderly I have to assume it's genuine.

As we've seen a number of recordings of true vintage guitars and most of us have fallin in love with their sounds, a few questions are burning in my mind: Do these vintage guitars sound as they do mostly because of the aging process? Or, are they just built better than modern guitars? Is it that in relative dollars (adjusted for inflation) we pay far less and consquently what we get is a good relative value, but not as good an instrument? Or is it as much or more of the tone in the fingers of the player and he'd sound just as great on a 2018 D28?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM

it would be actually hell, to own a such nice pre-war D28, ... and being right handed
Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam77 View Post
it would be actually hell, to own a such nice pre-war D28, ... and being right handed
I'd teach myself to play left handed to own that one!
IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars
Old 06-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I've never seen a Martin headstock shape like a Gibson- even on '37s. I've never seen a vintage lefty either. Since this guitar is/was at Elderly I have to assume it's genuine.

As we've seen a number of recordings of true vintage guitars and most of us have fallin in love with their sounds, a few questions are burning in my mind: Do these vintage guitars sound as they do mostly because of the aging process? Or, are they just built better than modern guitars? Is it that in relative dollars (adjusted for inflation) we pay far less and consquently what we get is a good relative value, but not as good an instrument? Or is it as much or more of the tone in the fingers of the player and he'd sound just as great on a 2018 D28?
As I understand it, they were built lighter, by top craftsmen, with the best woods available. And they are old. The builds got sturdier as some of the old ones broke down under heavy strings. That's the VERY short version..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion