The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2019, 08:32 AM

Default J45, J200, and J185

I'm looking at getting down to a single acoustic and i'm looking at these 3 guitars. I'm also looking at variations of these guitars (Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton, etc), so any input on those would be great as well.

Over the next few years, i see me doing mostly singer-songwriter solo type gigs, but also playing at church in a somewhat dense mix. I'm also factoring in recording and studio sessions. Because of all these reasons, i'm looking for a guitar with a fairly dry / direct sound and not many overtones. Basically a good all around guitar that won't get in the way.

I've been used to OM size/style guitars, but would like to get something a little bigger sounding. I'm also not ruling out a Martin M or J series, but i don't know much about them.

Can you tell me what your experience has been with these 3 types/models of guitars? The J45, J200, and J185?

I recently played a 2019 J185 Vintage at CME that really blew me away, but i want to go back and try the J45 and a few more J200s as well. I'm planning to visit Eddies guitars in St. Lousi at some point, as well as DownHome guitars, so i should have access to some fairly nice examples of each!

******EDIT
Aso, if you know of any other models that fit that bill, please feel free to suggest! I'll probably be installing the L.R.Baggs Anthem in whatever i get. I'm a fanboy, and really really loved the iMix i used for years!!

Thanks ahead of time,
Mr.Woody

Last edited by Mr.Woody; 06-03-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 AM

The chances are that you’ll mostly get recommendations for the J-45, but given how you’ve described the uses that you intend for this guitar, I think that the J-185 might be the best choice. It will definitely cut through the mix better than either of the other two, and probably record more easily, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM

I'd suggest the J45. It's an all around wonderful guitar. I also play mine at church. I think any guitar can cut through the mix depending on the pickup etc etc.

I've toyed with going down the boutique route too but the J45 is just wonderful to have. Nice and dry, and woody sounding.

I've made some alterations to mine like removing the stock UP and having a bone saddle installed along with a KK Pure Mini.

It's wonderful. Good luck with your hunt! Keep us posted.
G7th Capos
Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Most will say J45, me included but it sounds like the one at CME may have your name on it. Go with the one that blows you away like you said and you will never regret it...
Gibson R0 Les Paul
Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM

I own a Gibson J-45 Standard but I would recommend a new J-185 Vintage, if you can afford it. Of course, a different tone (maple), but very sweet.

I would trade my J-45 to J-185 Vintage in a minute!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 AM

for me,, hands down.. j200.. best guitar I've ever owned.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I like the tighter waist of the J-185 especially since I play sitting down 95% of the time and it’s easier ergonomically. Wood choices, nut widths, saddle spacing are very specific for me as a finger picker. But if you’re strumming at church a J-35/45 would probably work out best. But I’m a big fan of the M/J Martins too. And if your budget allows look at the custom luthiers too. Kevin Kopp, Dale Fairbanks, and David Flammang make great J-185 and J-35/45s that sound better than any current production Gibson. Finally, the 50s vintage Gibson guitars are quite reasonably priced and are really fabulous guitars if you don’t mind the narrow nut widths.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM

I actually do a TON of fingerstyle playing. Probably more than strumming, but i'm comfortable with a narrower neck. i've been playing my LesPaul as my only electric, and have gotten very used to that fretboard!
Also, thank you guys for the responses!

Any other suggestions? I've been looking at the Bourgeois and Collings Small Jumbos and they seem intriguing, but maybe a little bright?

Last edited by Mr.Woody; 06-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Guest 728

If you’re going to install the Anthem, you’ll be heard in the mix equally well with any of your choices. So I would base your decision on the guitar’s unamplified tone and its ergonomics.

You’re choosing between some stellar instruments. While it’s good to get feedback from others, only you know what you demand from a guitar. Let your own ears, hands, and eyes make the call.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of the small jumbo size. In Collings, it's the SJ and in Santa Cruz, it's the F. In Lowden it's also the F. As for Martin, the M (or 0000) is a nice small jumbo shape with the shallower OM depth. The Martin J is the same body shape but deeper.

So many great choices! Sounds like a road trip to a great store is in order!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 AM

****edit , wrong thread.

Any more suggestions?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Nice people at Eddie's Guitars! I live not far from there up in U-city- are you in the St. Louis area yourself?

Anyway, I have a J-45 and a J-100, so not the same as a J-200 of course.

No experience with the J-185.

I guess if I had to pick one of those two it would be my J-45, if I was picking between a J-200 and a J-45 that would be tougher.

You'll hear that the Super Jumbos aren't as good for fingerpicking, and while that can be over exaggerated online there is some truth to that. The very big body of the Super Jumbos take more to drive the sound out of them than does the J-45 type guitar.

When that sound comes out, it's glorious, but you can quicker get good fingerpicking sound from a J-45 and easier also.

Also, some of the things you said regarding wanting a "dry and woody" sound suggests to me the J-45, since in my limited experience the Super Jumbo body tends to have more resonance, overtones, and sustain to it... it takes a while for the sound to escape the body, is my thinking.

But of course the best thing to do is to try all these out at Eddie's.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Thanks for that. I'm actually about an hour north of Chicago, but i'm wanting to come down there and check them out. Seems like they have a really nice selection!!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
I'm looking at getting down to a single acoustic and i'm looking at these 3 guitars. I'm also looking at variations of these guitars (Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton, etc), so any input on those would be great as well.

Over the next few years, i see me doing mostly singer-songwriter solo type gigs, but also playing at church in a somewhat dense mix. I'm also factoring in recording and studio sessions. Because of all these reasons, i'm looking for a guitar with a fairly dry / direct sound and not many overtones. Basically a good all around guitar that won't get in the way.

I've been used to OM size/style guitars, but would like to get something a little bigger sounding. I'm also not ruling out a Martin M or J series, but i don't know much about them.

Can you tell me what your experience has been with these 3 types/models of guitars? The J45, J200, and J185?

I recently played a 2019 J185 Vintage at CME that really blew me away, but i want to go back and try the J45 and a few more J200s as well. I'm planning to visit Eddies guitars in St. Lousi at some point, as well as DownHome guitars, so i should have access to some fairly nice examples of each!

******EDIT
Aso, if you know of any other models that fit that bill, please feel free to suggest! I'll probably be installing the L.R.Baggs Anthem in whatever i get. I'm a fanboy, and really really loved the iMix i used for years!!

Thanks ahead of time,
Mr.Woody
I'm mainly a finger picker/ singer songwriter. I have a number of larger bodied guitars and find I levitate more towards my J200. There's something about the ease of playing it and the tone it produces that makes it my go to choice.

I've had both 185's and J45's, both nice guitars but for some reason the J200 just sits better for me. Don't be put off by dreads though. My Guild D55 is the one I would save from a house fire. Does everything...extremely well. I also have a Froggy K which is stunning to play and record with but they're an expensive toy!

If the truth be told you'll be fine with anything you choose. It's all in the fingers of the player. Buy what you like the look of...
Old 06-08-2019, 10:53 AM

I am mainly a finger picker and love my j185. It's my first maple acoustic. I have experimented with strings and I can make it sound less bright with nickel or monel strings. It has a great fundamental tone without being to complex if that makes sense. I have since sold 2 acoustics and have 1 more on the chopping block since I play the 185 all the time now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion