The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 PM

You cant blame the guy for trying, and aparently he is quite successful with his pitches for making a ho-hum guitar play better.

Somehow, it kind of reminds me of this guy. Just immagine how many sales he could make if he was hawking guitars.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkuReA-AGa8

Ken Hodges
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodges_Guitars View Post
You cant blame the guy for trying, and aparently he is quite successful with his pitches for making a ho-hum guitar play better.

Somehow, it kind of reminds me of this guy. Just immagine how many sales he could make if he was hawking guitars.....

Yup...he's so good that my six year old keeps telling me we NEED to get Mighty Putty
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodges_Guitars View Post

__________________________________________________ _______________-

Has anyone tried Mighty Putty on guitar repairs? I may have to post a new thread here. This could be HUGE!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 AM

I just had a local player bring me a Zager guitar that he picked up at our local music store.

It was a Sigma that had a botched Martin decal applied to its headstock after the front of the headstock had been painted black. Also, if you've taken the Martin factory tour, you've received one of those soundhole cutouts with the Martin logo and date laser engraved on it.

One of the soundhole cutouts was cut up to yield its Martin logo and it was glued insde the guitar in an effort to complete the forgery effort.

I told the guy to run it back to the store and then called the store to tell the person who brought it to them to take it back and finally called Martin to let them know that they should take a peek at what's going on down at Denny Zafer's place with their guitars....or at least their name and logo.

The set up that was done was of little improvement over the typical Sigma set up.

Avoid them if you can.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 AM

When first getting back into playing, I bought his guitar. It did not take long for me to recognize that I was lied to about how the guitar was made, and the material used. I felt bitter for awhile, but, you live and learn. I was told 100% wood, not laminate. Not true. I felt foolish and angry at myself for being taken in by something that did indeed sound "too good to be true".

I always feel badly when I see someone post who is thinking about putting money into zager when some of the excellent shops (Jon at My Fav, Maury, and others) can put you into a real quality guitar for just about the same price. It brings back that ugly feeling of having been "taken " in" by the false advertising.

I did a few months of research; looking for the patent, for instance, as well as exactly where these guitar are made; made calls (including to Martin), etc.

I did finally learn that the factor in Asia is the same one that makes a whole lot of other guitars with the brand labels being the only difference. Many brands made there; all the same guitars with only slight design differences; not custom to Denny Zager's specifications (or anyone else for that matter). They are factory made in bulk. You pick out which design you put which name on; nothing else, and can only use them if you buy in bulk. Wages are basically close to slave labor wages.

I hope the poster here, as well as others who may peruse the board will find this thread (and many others) and buy themselves a real guitar and stay away from nonsense such as "string science" or false claims of the materials used.

Last edited by SeamusORiley; 06-10-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM

Not even gonna get into it with this. I avoid them basically because the hype pegs my BS-meter.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 06-10-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
When first getting back into playing, I bought his guitar. It did not take long for me to recognize that I was lied to about how the guitar was made, and the material used. I felt bitter for awhile, but, you live and learn. I was told 100% wood, not laminate. Not true. I felt foolish and angry at myself for being taken in by something that did indeed sound "too good to be true".
sorry to hear about it

esteban uses the same claim, 100% wood or all wood. they don't mean 100% solid wood or all soild wood, just wood, as oppsed to plastic
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM

I've read countless threads on Zager's in the different forums. Basically what he's doing, to my understanding is charging $250-300 for an extremely low action set up, with extra light strings, on a not so special guitar. You're getting a $200-$400 guitar then paying extra for a very expensive set up.

Last edited by kozwinkle; 06-10-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozwinkle View Post
I've read countless threads on Zager's in the different forums. Basically what he's doing, to my understanding is charging $250-300 for an extremely low action set up, with extra light strings, on a not so special guitar. You're getting a $200-$400 guitar then paying extra for a very expensive set up.
__________________________________________________ ________________-

Ya about what it sounds like.....I can see why that BR-60CE is still on Ebay and that auction has been re-run many many times. The reserve on it is probably ridiculously HIGH and everyone knows it.....Man, I just love that little gray "EEK" guy
Old 06-17-2019, 03:04 AM

Default anyone remember Esteban?

that's right, esteban. that's what all the hype reminds me of. glad i did some research and found these threads. i'm sticking with quality, well-known established brands. if it sounds too good to be true ...
2001 Martin D-28
2023 Martin DX12
2002 Seagull Maritime SWS
2018 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Fusion
2016 Orangewood Echo 12
2006 Ibanez Artcore AK86-DVS-12-01
Old 06-17-2019, 05:30 AM

I bought a used Potomac OM off CL several years ago. Potomac was an off-shoot of Eastman (like Epiphone is to Gibson, etc.). It’s a great playing guitar, but I had no clue as to its origin.

A quick Google search brought me to Zager’s website. Lo, and behold - there was my guitar. I mean, literally - the same hand-written serial number on the label and everything. They were touting how they improved this guitar so much with their modifications.

Intrigued, I shot an email to Zager, requesting more information about this instrument.

He replied that he had never seen this guitar before, and hadn’t even heard of the brand.

The photos disappeared from his website afterwards.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 AM

There have been other folks who’ve posted on threads about Mr. Zager and his dubious business practices who have seen pictures of their own guitars on his website. When they’ve emailed him to ask why those photos are on his website, he’s done the exact same thing: denied any knowledge of the guitars in question and deleted the photos from his website immediately.

There was one guy with a one of a kind custom guitar who reported that Zager admitted to him that he’d found the photo online and had just used it.

That rare admission is the exception with Mr. Zager, though: he doesn’t seem to be overly burdened by candor or honesty.

I think what he does is scrabble together a living through the use of his deceptive business practices, and part of how he does it is by pirating photos of attractive guitars that he finds online. Most of the time he gets away with it because the people who own those instruments aren’t his prospective customers in the first place. So most will never see or notice his parasitical freeloading.

He gets to use gorgeous images of fine guitars that he has zero connection to in real life, and by doing so impress the rubes that he wants (and, frankly, NEEDS) to impress. He does this without paying anyone for the use of those images, and when challenged simply deletes them from his website.

Nice guy, eh?

Oh, well, I suppose it’s better than having him rob convenience stores or bilk little old ladies out of their life savings....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 AM

Holy thread revival, Batman!

Although, to be fair, I just recently learned of Zager guitars through Facebook advertisement, and, curious, decided to take a look. Something about that whole website and its hyperbole felt "off" and I looked around here for opinions. And boy, did I find them.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Wade for so eloquently illustrating what their business practices are.

I had a similar experience and was searching for a long-out-of-production guitar and was directed to the exact guitar on their website, which they said they had sold out of.

Among their practices is a common tactic called "Search Engine Optimization".

SEO is a whole cottage industry and the purpose is to seed social media and online sources with keywords so that (mostly) Google will rank your keywords and current and relevant and, so, your web page will rank higher on the Google search results page.

Even conversations like this serve their purposes by getting their name (which I don't use) to show up recently in a web traffic search.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 AM

Default 11 year old thread

Clifdawg just wrote:
"Holy thread revival, Batman!"

Did you happen to notice the first 2 dozen posts on this thread are from June 2008?
And the member that started the Original Post hasn't been on AGF in over 4 years.

Yep, epevets1 (post #25) revived an 11 year old thread.
That may be a record.

Last edited by woodbox; 06-17-2019 at 07:33 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion