The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
I urge you to try a Furch. European made, and sound fantastic. Try their blue series which is all solid, with Khaya (common hog substitute).if not their indigo and violet models will still be good!
I tried one (Gc 20) I really wanted to like it : european made, great value for money (I don't like to overpay for a brand name), superb quality.
But... a bit on the "modern" side of sound, as they say (like the Taylor I tried). And that's too acid for my taste... Perhaps another wood combo would suit me better but none was in the shop
Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
My rosewood OM-03R produces a lot of overtones. The notes sound metallic and as they ring out subtle harmonics present themselves and the primary tone decays. This presents a problem when trying to voice harmonies clearly, though chord also tend to “bloom” and sound fuller creating a “grand piano” effect. I believe the reason for this is that rosewood is heavier and harder and somehow reflects the sound waves more efficiently inside the body cavity. Mahogany seems to dampen this effect somewhat, producing a stronger fundamental tone.

Granted, this is only conjecture but I feel that my larger mahogany guitar records better than my smaller rosewood one, though I prefer the body size and neck profile of my smaller Larrivee more. I feel a mahogany L would bring the best of both worlds.

BTW, I have seen used L-05’s listed for $1000USD. That’s below the price of a new L-03R. Search through the classifieds here, over at the Larrivee forum and on Reverb.
I think what you describe with the spruce/rosewood combination is a common problem or criticism - too much overtone content getting in the way of clarity in recording.

What I’ve found is that according to the build of the guitar, rosewood can be reigned-in to a precise, sweet focus on the fundamental, while at the same time providing quicker response over spruce/mahogany.

Ultimately it’s dependent on the builder.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muadgil View Post
Mr Moustache, about my playing style, I'd say I like to try a bit of everything. Right now, I'm more focused on classic fingerpicking blues. But I enjoy playing Johnny Cash American Recordings style too, or Nick Drake. Jazzy chord melodies too. Kaki King etc... That's my eclectic thing, overwelmed by the richness of music (but I master none of them...)
This lead me to a Grand Auditorium body type, as I read it was the children of Dread and OM. With 1 3/4 nut.
My budget is 1000/1500€

Tried a Furch G SW (great quality for the price) and a Taylor 314 (quite the same feeling as Furch, but much costier). Both quite on the shiny/crispy side of sound, which I'm not particulary found of, they lack a certain foundation to my ears...

Tried Martin, now that's guitar foundation ! Perhaps too much by the way. Their GPCRSGT was quite good to my taste, liked that low/mid/high balance, and the price is fine. But I'm kinda snob about this one I admit... Plastic fretboard, made in China :-(

Tried Eastman, an OM. Very good. If their AC models are from the same wood, it could be the one. Made in China too I know, but with another philosophy.

Finally Larrivée, L03 Mahogany, in it I found all I wanted. Quality/sound/price. Just wondering if the rosewood version wouldn't be a better choice.
Didn't brought my Yam, but they all were in another league...

Decisions...
Hi, 1000/1500 Euro. OK.

Firstly, I must correct you regarding Martins, as I don't believe they are made in `China but USA and Mexico, however, I don't understand you concern over Chinese makers.

US built guitars can be mediocre or great, and most of mine are US built, but due to exchange rates and other factors are pricing themselves out of the market for many in Europe.

Martin's Performing Artist range are a low if not entry level series, and I believe, built mainly as platforms for the built in electrics rather than that great pure Martin acoustic sound.

The term "grand auditorium" means little to me - I think it is a Taylor term for their style which is possibly similar to the long established (1929) term OM (Orchestra Model) which is a favourite of many that don't want dreadnoughts.

I have looked at the TFOA website for inspiration. Within your budget are two Asian made brands which I would suggest that you check out.

Blue ridge, and Eastman. I've seen, and heard some excellent Blueridge guitars, and I have never been disappointed in Eastman brand guitars - they really make outstanding instruments.

Have a look at the Eastman OM models, as I think they will be the best non US built OM styles available, but don't dismiss the Blueridges either.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, 1000/1500 Euro. OK.

Firstly, I must correct you regarding Martins, as I don't believe they are made in `China but USA and Mexico, however, I don't understand you concern over Chinese makers.

US built guitars can be mediocre or great, and most of mine are US built, but due to exchange rates and other factors are pricing themselves out of the market for many in Europe.

Martin's Performing Artist range are a low if not entry level series, and I believe, built mainly as platforms for the built in electrics rather than that great pure Martin acoustic sound.

The term "grand auditorium" means little to me - I think it is a Taylor term for their style which is possibly similar to the long established (1929) term OM (Orchestra Model) which is a favourite of many that don't want dreadnoughts.

I have looked at the TFOA website for inspiration. Within your budget are two Asian made brands which I would suggest that you check out.

Blue ridge, and Eastman. I've seen, and heard some excellent Blueridge guitars, and I have never been disappointed in Eastman brand guitars - they really make outstanding instruments.

Have a look at the Eastman OM models, as I think they will be the best non US built OM styles available, but don't dismiss the Blueridges either.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions Mr Moustache

Just to be clear, I have no problem with chinese manufactured goods. They make perfectly fine instruments or whatever... Globalization is a fact. We could argue about workers conditions and so on, but that's not the point :-)

On this particular choice of mine, there's a kind of symbolism going on. The vast majority of guitar-orientated music I listen to comes from North America. I made a lifetime remembering travel there, a few years ago, that still resonates in me. A part of me wants to play an american (well, canadian born for this one :-) acoustic guitar, it just feels right.
Totally irrational, I assume, but that's part of the pleasure for me, regarding this quest for my first great folk guitar.

Having tried an Eastman, I totally agree with you, they are great instruments, and I'll buy one of their low priced OM as my living room guitar. Don't want to let my future Larrivée near my children...
Old 06-13-2019, 04:25 AM

Ok I will weigh in. I have owned a Larrivee OM-R3e (rosewood), Larrivee Parlor, and Eastman E20OM (rosewood). All great guitars but I thought the Larrivee Parlor was too boxy sounding. Ok - back to the subject. I have also played the Mahogany models of the Larrivee and Eastmans including the L-03 and L-05. My thoughts:

1 - play the guitars live if at all possible. I promise that YouTube is only going to provide you about 60% of the sonic character of the guitar. You need to play it.

2. - determine whether Mahogany or Rosewood is your preferred (not better or worse) wood. I have owned over 35 acoustic guitars over the years and for me, I have arrived at Mahogany. While the Rosewood can sound lush, I do not care for the metalic overtones. But that is just me.

3. The Larrivee L-05 is a very, very fine guitar. It really is. I've always liked that particular model and would own one now but I have moved to OM, 000, or 00 small body guitars due to comfort.

4. Eastman's are also very fine instruments. If you can, play the Mahogany OM models too.

Like everyone says, get the guitar you like and that inspires you to play. And as I always say, do not underestimate guitar body size and comfort factor as a major contributor of whether you will play more or less. Enjoy the hunt!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion