The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Default Step up from Ibanez to Taylor

Okay. I have been playing the guitar for just under 1 year.

At the 5 month I had gotten the advice here. I got me the Ibanez AC240. Nothing wrong with it. Of course the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Just wondering if going from AC240 to a Taylor academy 12 really worth the upgrade. I do like that is has a comfort bevel. I have also herd that it has more of a balance tone but the Ibanez has the bigger nut. I guess; I could start experimenting with different strings to get the higher tones that maybe missing. The strings on it right now are stock string D'Addario EXP16.

Should I stay with those strings or try the silk and steel ghs strings?

Should I stay or should I go? There is also is the scare about those prices of imported guitars going up.

Again this is just a hobby. I do like the chord mixed in with notes songs I doing in my method books now and my get into finger style guitar.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 PM

The one you have can take you a long long way, so just keep playing it, and often.

The Guitar Center stores near me will let me take my own in to compare with those I take off the wall to play, so maybe you should try that out if you are still itchy. Put on a new set of Martin Authentic lights before you go.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-12-2019, 03:05 PM

I would definitely try changing the strings first. Maybe some 80/20 bronze instead of the PB's on there now would brighten up the highs for you.
Breedlove Pursuit Concert CE
Songbird Phoebe hammered dulcimer
and some ukes
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM

The Taylor Academy is not really a step up. As a general statement you would go to an all solid wood construction. Wait it out and save up for something really special.

Your Ibenaz will do you fine for the long learning period. You said the "stock strings" on it. If they are the originals and are one year old then new strings will transform that guitars tone. As gocamel suggested try some 80/20 to increase brightness. Picks can really change the tone you pull from the guitars strings as well
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Your AC240 needs Martin Retro's. They are the best strings for an all mahogany guitar. They will bring out the tone and make you think you already got a new guitar!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 PM

New strings on. Daddario .012- .053 EXP11 coated 80/20 Bronze.

You guys are right this guitar now sounds like a new guitar!!

Its the first time changing strings on a acoustic. Sounds the way I want it to sound and almost too tinny if that a word,

I may have had the bass stings gone because they are totally different. Now I know why you guys want to try differnt string and change strings often.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Or for 200 dollars less than a taylor academy you could have an Eastman E1D which is far superior than either of them from a tonal standpoint.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash07 View Post
New strings on. Daddario .012- .053 EXP11 coated 80/20 Bronze.

You guys are right this guitar now sounds like a new guitar!!

Its the first time changing strings on a acoustic. Sounds the way I want it to sound and almost too tinny if that a word,

I may have had the bass stings gone because they are totally different. Now I know why you guys want to try differnt string and change strings often.

Thanks for the help
New strings have to break in a bit. After a few days of playing they will sound just right.

Trying new strings is fun and an inexpensive way to "upgrade" your guitar.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion