The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Default Pick review- Dava

Dava picks. Just got a pack yesterday. I don't even know what provoked me to order them. i must have seen them on the forum somewhere. Under $1 each, why not?

Color me impressed. There are many different picks that I like. Lately I've been using John Pearse Fast Turtle Cassein, and some Pickboy exotic (mostly Ebony), and Dunlop Flow and Primetone. I don't think I've liked any enough for an initial pick review until now. Maybe one other, some time ago.

First, you've got to love the rainbow of colors in the 6 pack. The basic pick is made of delryn, a smooth plastic (or plastic-like material). I ordered the medium thickness just to check them out. And while I tend to gravitate toward thicker picks for control, what makes this pick sort of unique they have a foam grip surface on each side. I think this is the most comfortable pick I've ever held. And the thickness of the pick where I hold it gives me a lot of control and leverage. A lot of folks buy thicker picks and put speed bevels on them to make them work like thinner picks.

Delryn's surface is very smooth and perhaps softer than other picks. They provide a bit warmer tone, but without sacrificing clarity. But I did take one pick and put a speed bevel on it and got a little more "ping" out of the attack without changing the overall tone substantially.

I compared the sound with the DAVA to one of my standard picks, Tortex .73. The Tortex gives a little brighter sound than the DAVA, but both share similar crispness of attack. I think this might be an excellent choice for a singer who is looking for a warmer guitar sound to play under the vocals.

Good tone+comfort+control+great grip+cheap= a great combination. For $5 they're worth a try.

I think they also make a smaller "jazz size" model, but the link below is what I received.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...SABEgIAzPD_BwE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dava_picks.jpg (29.3 KB, 112 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Just posted on another pick thread that my son had been using these so I gave one a whirl. I’m impressed too. I like the flexibility and the option to make them “thicker”, or “thinner”.

They’ve been great on my acoustics and my Electric’s. But, I’m still interested in diving into the “casein” world and possibly trying a CL or JP Fast Turtle. All in all they’re relatively cheap experiments.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 PM

I've been using Dawa picks for awhile since I saw them in a shop in Hawaii. They give me a better grip. I can recommend them.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:20 AM

I like these alright. I move my fingers naturally around any pick to control how "thick" the pick plays. I find that the way you need to hold these to benefit from the design is at odds with how I've done it for years so I find them less than ideal.

I do like delrin picks and they do get good tone. I prefer Fred Kelley delrin picks over these.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I used them for about a year before I fell down the boutique pick rabbit hole. They are fantastic for grip. And I liked the tone of their gel picks on my electrics. Never quite settled on one for acoustic. But then I found both Vespel and Casein and for some reason, they seem to stick to my fingers every bit as well as the Dava picks did. I'm playing almost nothing but casein anymore and, to me at least, they sound a lot better than the Dava picks. Particularly on acoustic, but even on electric using a thinner pick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion