The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 09:32 PM

Default Breedlove folks - what’s this?

I recently picked up this 94’ Breedlove CM signed by Larry Breedlove and Steve Henderson and upon inspection, I initially thought the JDL bridge truss was missing because when I looked inside the guitar I didn’t see the post coming down from the bridgeplate. BUT playing it, it sounds as deep and nuanced, if not more so, than my other Breedlove with the truss. SO I removed the strings and felt around inside and low and behold there is a shaft running to the front block from a much lower profile post than I’ve ever seen on these. It is sort of wedge shaped (as opposed to a straight rectangle) and even has the adjustment screw sticking out of it to tighten or loosen the tension. There is some finish degradation around the bridge so i’m guessing something went wrong with the original truss and this one was added sometime after? I’ve attached a pic of mine and also of the normal truss that I usually see in these Breedloves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D38769CA-79B8-49FB-9A2E-DC456784F0FE.jpg (28.8 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 72DAA501-C964-445A-968D-F3F49E31CAA4.jpg (19.6 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 0D430E02-D0E9-48EB-B47F-B9FD614A89AC.jpg (38.8 KB, 339 views)

Last edited by djp183; 06-08-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm...that’s a good question!? The good news is you got one heck of a guitar there. My Breedlove CM was probably the most full sounding guitar I ever played!!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Hmmm...that’s a good question!? The good news is you got one heck of a guitar there. My Breedlove CM was probably the most full sounding guitar I ever played!!
Thanks Jeff! I wasn’t sure how this one would sound never having owned a Koa guitar but I rolled the dice anyway and apart from this truss anomaly am quite pleased . -Doug
Old 06-08-2019, 10:15 PM

I had three Breedloves from the mid 90's. None with this type of block. I recall conversations with the co. back then. This was simply an earlier version of what was to become the "Bridge Doctor", and more like the one in your other photo. Fine instrument. I regret selling my 97' CM Masterclass. What a sweet instrument. Feel free to pick my brain. I have alot of Breedlove brain sludge I amassed from my time with their instruments. Was a great co.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
I had three Breedloves from the mid 90's. None with this type of block. I recall conversations with the co. back then. This was simply an earlier version of what was to become the "Bridge Doctor", and more like the one in your other photo. Fine instrument. I regret selling my 97' CM Masterclass. What a sweet instrument. Feel free to pick my brain. I have alot of Breedlove brain sludge I amassed from my time with their instruments. Was a great co.
Thanks! That was actually what I was hoping to hear (this was the original shape of the device). I wonder why they put the lighter cap (looks like maple) on the end of the post? It seems to serve no purpose..? Was your 97’ walnut/cedar? -Doug
Old 06-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Yes, Walnut/Cedar, Bloodwood binding, locking Schaller tuners. I forget the rest. My C25 was Quartersawn Brazilian/Engleman from Steve Henderson's personal stash thereabout, with the last mermaid inlay that Kim did by hand before they were CNC made. My 12 string was a step removed from thr 10th Anniversary guitars minus the inlay with Madrone/Bearclaw Sitka. I have never been able to get a 12 string as good as that one. Closest is my Eastman AC630 go figure, and I will never sell it.

At this time 96/97 Martin was just starting to offer electronics as a standard option on their cutaway models. Electronics then were hit and miss with a lot of the popularity being marketing and not the actual products usefulness/abilities. Many luthiers and companies shied away from electronics in lieu of a mic aimed at the soundhole. That is another story. That said I opted for no electronics. I installed the LR Baggs Dual Source system, which today is still a darn good pickup system.

I still remember Martin hyping in their 96/97 catalog about their venture into electronics. They were putting alot of effort into it as times were changing from the purist view of acoustic amplification. Those were good days, but I think the purist knew something or to.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp183 View Post
I recently picked up this 94’ Breedlove CM signed by Larry Breedlove and Steve Henderson and upon inspection, I initially thought the JDL bridge truss was missing because when I looked inside the guitar I didn’t see the post coming down from the bridgeplate.
I can't help with the JDL bridge truss question, but it looks like Audie has already done that. So this response will be about the Breedlove CM.

I have never had the chance to play a Breedlove CM in person, and I know that some folks hate the asymmetrical body, but... I thought they looked very cool. Many years ago, I had the opportunity to see Tom Prasado-Rao in concert, and he played a CM. It sounded magnificent. Tom joked that he had bought the guitar on the installment plan, and Breedlove was sending him pieces of the guitar as he made payments. To my ears, no more pieces were needed.

Here's a clip of Tom playing his CM. I think it's also koa back and sides.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Congrats on a great purchase. Looks lie it's Cedar over Walnut.The Masterclass CM is the only guitar on my short list of guitars that I'd give up my Exotic for.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Growing up on Martin dreads, these are worlds apart. I still love and own a couple Martins but now that I have kids that I don't want to wake up and since I don't play out, the breedloves are just more articulate and complex to my ear. I had picked up a Macasser Ebony CM last year for a song from usedGC and it was awesome. In the end I traded it away because it had a side crack and was missing a bit of interior purfling from an earlier botched repair. I probably shouldn't have cared but it bothered me. I ended up having to get rid of a really nice Martin to get this CM but i'm definitely glad I did.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 PM

Gave up a 1975 Martin D-28 to get a Breedlove American series. Never looked back.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 06-12-2019, 05:27 AM

Is "usedGC" a site for selling/buying guitars?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

I think that they used to market that as the Breedlove Bridge Truss back in the day. I don't really know much about the purported benefits though.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Is "usedGC" a site for selling/buying guitars?
It's used guitar center. Just google the term and it will pull up their used site. Completely 100% a crapshoot. Very little information of condition, etc. BUT, sometimes really good deals to be had and a no questions asked return policy.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Nice CM! I wish I still had mine. Don't know anything about that bridge setup though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion