The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 06:20 AM

Excellent job! Thanks for taking the time, and especially for including all the playing styles.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 AM

What an endeavour, thank you for that.
Now all we need is some tests/samples of guitars of the same body size in say: Sitka/Mahogany & Sitka/Rosewood.
Then we'd have an idea if those same strings one favors on guitar *A* would also be favored on guitar *B*.
Who is up for the task?
(I would but I don't have the guitars needed)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
The standouts for me were the John Pearse, GHS, Ernie ball earthwood, and the D’Addario EJs (I know you didn’t like them but just going by what I heard). Big difference in the coated strings, but I agree that the paradigm were the best
I agree with you.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 06-10-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fix quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Great job . This is a perfect experiment to prove that we all are not looking for the same sound . What my ears are looking for and like another member doesn’t . My son and I do this a lot his Gibson and my Martin both have a sound of there own . I changed strings and saddle materials on my Martin and really enjoy the change he comes over and picks it up and says this sounds way different than it did , he didn’t say better just different but I could tell from his face it wasn’t a move he liked . Again great job testing the strings .
Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 PM

Thanks! I don't use steel strings myself ATM but one day this might become a reference!

You wouldn't have planned to repeat the same endeavour with nylon strings, would you?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

So, what did you find that pleased your ears the best?
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Thanks again like everybodys said, for all that hard work. really appreciate you doing that strings review for us.
Beautiful guitar by the way...
I thought the Gibson MBs, the Earthwoods, the JPs, and the Elixirs all sounded really nice... on that guitar. I find Taylor's in general to be a bit treblely especially that wood. Tbese strings to me all tamed that a bit, but it could've just been your recording setup. Regardless, appreciated the effort and enjoyed it very much. I found some new strings I may try.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

* First let me say thanks to you for such a comprehensive and exhaustive effort in your comparison of these strings... well played and well done!

** Consistently throughout the video my ears liked the Martin Authentic SP PB's and I'm not surprised as they are what I prefer on my guitars in Medium gauge PB... I also like John Pearse Medium PB's and thought they also sounded good on this video.

*** However, for your Koa Taylor guitar and trying to tame the shrill of Taylor's signature and the Koa wood characteristics, there were others you played that sounded remarkable in achieving a warmer rounder sound. So in addition to my #1 fav SP's, I was very impressed with the Paradigm strings, they really sounded phat, full, balanced and rounded... they came in at #2 for my ears. Rounding out the top three for your guitar it was close between the Lifespan, Marquis and Dunlop; all three of which I've played.

**** The Lifespan helped tame the highs a bit and the Marquis took out some of the tinny or thinness that some of other strings had. However, the Dunlop's really tamed this guitar the most imo, in fact too much. I tried the Dunlop PB's last year, and tho they were not a good match on my D18 and two MIJ Taks, I found them of remarkable quality and long lasting. The Dunlop ball ends as I've commented before in another string thread, are of the highest quality I've seen; and yes Dunlop makes their own strings in their own facility. BUT they just are too warm for my taste...not so much on the unwound strings, but rather on the low end of things; plenty of bass, but zero presence. That lack of presence reduces clarity and note definition; even on this lovely, sparkly, koa Taylor.

***** The Elixirs, Rotosound, Gibson and Earthwood were least preferred by my ears. The GHS were nice, the EXP and Everlast not bad either on this particular guitar... so my recommended choice for you sir would be the Paradigm and the SP second since you felt they did not last as long.

Many thanks to you again, you have a lovely instrument and best wishes!

eric
Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* First let me say thanks to you for such a comprehensive and exhaustive effort in your comparison of these strings... well played and well done!

** Consistently throughout the video my ears liked the Martin Authentic SP PB's and I'm not surprised as they are what I prefer on my guitars in Medium gauge PB... I also like John Pearse Medium PB's and thought they also sounded good on this video.

*** However, for your Koa Taylor guitar and trying to tame the shrill of Taylor's signature and the Koa wood characteristics, there were others you played that sounded remarkable in achieving a warmer rounder sound. So in addition to my #1 fav SP's, I was very impressed with the Paradigm strings, they really sounded phat, full, balanced and rounded... they came in at #2 for my ears. Rounding out the top three for your guitar it was close between the Lifespan, Marquis and Dunlop; all three of which I've played.

**** The Lifespan helped tame the highs a bit and the Marquis took out some of the tinny or thinness that some of other strings had. However, the Dunlop's really tamed this guitar the most imo, in fact too much. I tried the Dunlop PB's last year, and tho they were not a good match on my D18 and two MIJ Taks, I found them of remarkable quality and long lasting. The Dunlop ball ends as I've commented before in another string thread, are of the highest quality I've seen; and yes Dunlop makes their own strings in their own facility. BUT they just are too warm for my taste...not so much on the unwound strings, but rather on the low end of things; plenty of bass, but zero presence. That lack of presence reduces clarity and note definition; even on this lovely, sparkly, koa Taylor.

***** The Elixirs, Rotosound, Gibson and Earthwood were least preferred by my ears. The GHS were nice, the EXP and Everlast not bad either on this particular guitar... so my recommended choice for you sir would be the Paradigm and the SP second since you felt they did not last as long.

eric
Eric, You are such a class act, my friend! I am very much in agreement with your findings. Although I have not tried a lot of the strings in this exhaustive shootout.

Your point about which strings enhance and compliment the instrument are wel taken. With that in mind, I think its important to note that what sounds best on this Koa Taylor may not be the best sounding string set on another guitar.

That said, I have found string brands and voicing to be very consistent. Martin Lifespan 2.0 Authentics are my current string of choice on my Martin dreads. (Med Gauge) I really like JP's and D'addario PB's too. But the Martin's last a little longer. (for my preferences)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-12-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post

eric
Thanks to everyone for your feedbacks, really glad you liked the video
I'll probably do an 80/20 shootout with a Dreadnought guitar (sitka/rosewood) more common guitars and better match with the 80/20.

Thank you for this detailed feedback, i actually loved most the resonance of Martin SP and Paradigm (SP's being first) but that's something hardly explainable without playing them in real on my guitar
Can't capture those vibrations and back of the guitar resonance on a video but glad it still was helpful to watch
Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 AM

Did you do all recording on a single day as the video suggests, without giving each set the time it needs to get played in and sound its best?

There were tests in there where I couldn't hear a difference at all, and those where I really wouldn't know to say which sound I preferred. As to the treble strings (B&E) they all sound the same to me if I account for set-specific resonance that must come from the other strings. I presume we are in fact dealing with basically identical wires across the pack for those 2?
Overall I lean towards the Rotosounds and Dunlops, so I guess that sets me a bit apart

Knowing myself I'd have to edit such recordings to get a single "track" per set and then play them for a while as background music. I find that's the best way for me to detect things that irritate me but I can somehow filter out when listening actively (and subconsciously trying to appreciate the sound).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion