The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-23-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

When I was growing up, much of the purchases my parents made were via the Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs.

Later, local shopping via malls and such became a thing. Now, we are reverting back to shopping via catalog in the form of web pages.

Ironic, isn't it? We have come full circle and seem to think it is something new.

Tony
Old 08-23-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrnd View Post
I agree with everything said in this post.

Your post relates to the business side of the argument.

Ideally as a guitar player I would like to try out the instrument that I am going to buy. I bet you would too. That is a different discussion than Emeralds business model.

As it pertains to KarenB's thread, if she had had a chance to try out specific guitars before she bought one of them she might have found an instrument she liked and would not have had to ship it back.

I think they should give her another chance.
Sure, I would like to try out the exact guitar I'm going to buy (did just that for decades)... but that simply isn't always possible, especially if you order something that is custom built (or if the builder is located across an ocean from you). You might remember that Karen's original "questions" were regarding wanting something between an X7 and an X10 in size (two guitars that are already very close in body size), with a custom 25" scale, and a slim-line body. They didn't "ban" her, they said no after all the questions. More questions won't result in them building that guitar. They said no to entertaining more questions.

Regarding "the business side of the argument": first of all, I am not arguing. Without the business, there would be no Emerald guitars to buy. Many consumers don't consider why a business establishes policies on how they will do business. No one goes into business with the idea of building things for people to try - they make products for people to buy. As the business models have changed from going into a store to buy something to ordering it online, some people look for the "no risk" purchases... there is always a risk to the business.

Sometimes, you have to know when to say when. I think I've come to that point in this thread.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-23-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
When I was growing up, much of the purchases my parents made were via the Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs...
Including buying houses...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Including buying houses...

In 1913 we were less picky.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 08-23-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrnd View Post
In 1913 we were less picky.
Actually...

Sears Modern Homes were catalog and kit houses sold primarily through mail order by Sears, Roebuck and Co., an American retailer. Sold primarily to customers in East Coast and Midwest states, Sears homes have been located as far south as Florida and as far west as California. Examples have also been found in Alaska and Canada. Sears reported that more than 70,000 of these homes were sold in North America between 1908 and 1940. More than 370 different home designs in a wide range of architectural styles and sizes were offered over the program's 34-year history.

And that's just through Sears; there were many other companies that offered kit houses via catalogs. There was quite a bit of variety among these homes, especially compared to today's subdivisions...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-23-2021, 10:52 AM

i think its very smart for Emerald not to do the demo as otherwise you may compare it rainsong, mcpherson, etc. and not like it. This way you buy it from them and most likely just sell it instead of dealing with the hassle of shipping back..if you dont like it. But in the end you probably keep it more since you're not comparing it in person to other carbon fibers.

There's a limited # of shops that carry carbon fibers so probably would be potentially even a smaller # of shops that would consider it. Emerald would probably want to find one that doesnt carry the other guitars as to be a unique offering as to not change their business model.

Then you have to think of who handles warranty, refund, etc. issues if ordered thru a dealer.

So assume Emerald will not be changing their model. It also helps them control forums, etc. since few can say they walked into X and tried out all the carbon fibers and like X the best...as to include Emerald in the mix. People have to fork over the money to be able to include the Emerald since they purchased already...hence a different clientele than some shops...hence why they keep trending more to the custom line and more pricey...people keep customizing and buying

All said...I'm a little surprised they wont make a custom if customer agrees all sales final and no returns so they dont have to deal with the restocking fee and then reselling. But kudos to them for not wanting to mess with it and spend the time and energy creating something new that is not in their customization model.

I think its great they are now trying to limit the customizations as to bring about more guitar builds, probably less imperfections, less unhappy customers.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Actually...

Sears Modern Homes were catalog and kit houses sold primarily through mail order by Sears, Roebuck and Co., an American retailer. Sold primarily to customers in East Coast and Midwest states, Sears homes have been located as far south as Florida and as far west as California. Examples have also been found in Alaska and Canada. Sears reported that more than 70,000 of these homes were sold in North America between 1908 and 1940. More than 370 different home designs in a wide range of architectural styles and sizes were offered over the program's 34-year history.

And that's just through Sears; there were many other companies that offered kit houses via catalogs. There was quite a bit of variety among these homes, especially compared to today's subdivisions...

TRY SENDING ONE OF THOSE BACK IF YOU DIDNT LIKE IT!!
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 08-23-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvguitars2005 View Post
All said...I'm a little surprised they wont make a custom if customer agrees all sales final and no returns so they dont have to deal with the restocking fee and then reselling. But kudos to them for not wanting to mess with it and spend the time and energy creating something new that is not in their customization model.
I'm curious how most companies handle custom orders in regard to returns. I've never ordered a custom guitar. Are there policies restricting returns?
Old 08-23-2021, 11:24 AM
Guest 928

Il;

I don't think Alistair is afraid of competition. Early in the game he made a pretty wide sweep of the U.S., looking for possible vendors--and his focus was on vendors that carried the full range of guitars.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
How about a network of owners who might be willing to offset their ownership cost by meeting prospective owners at the local police station for a paid half hour of evaluation and a bit of actual playing time for a particular Emerald?

If I was going to spend that kind of money sight unseen it seems reasonable to pay an owner (maybe $50?) to get up close and personal before making a purchase decision.
I like this idea for a guitar demo list. I bought my RainSong at a dealer, but it would have been nice to check out other brands/models. High-end RVs have similar 'ambassadors' who can show their coach to interested persons. Emerald could do something similar. Actually, any of us here who wanted to could start such a list and post it publicly. Emerald could just refer to it if they didn't want to host it themselves.

I'm a software developer who is already too busy, but it would be 'relatively' simple to create. Store and show some mechanism for contact (phone, email, or even anonymous emailing (depending on development effort)), your general location, what guitars you have for demo, and what you might charge for a meet up. This could be for any brand of guitar, not just Emerald. You could think of it kind of like a Craigslist for demos.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:30 PM

The idea of such a list was a reasonably recent post, which can be found below

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600568
Old 08-23-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
The idea of such a list was a reasonably recent post, which can be found below

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600568
Thanks for the link. I had missed it. Unpinned, I'm guessing many will in future also as it get older and older.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber