The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-18-2021, 07:54 PM
Guest 928

Nice report. I hope the bonding goes as well as it went with your CA.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations buzzardwhiskey! I am sure your new McPherson will serve you well for many years to come.

Tony
Old 08-18-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Good for you! I knew you would love it. For my bare flesh fingerstyle, the tone is pure velvet. What blows me away more than anything else is McPherson figured out how to get such a depth of tone from a guitar that is not very big, IMHO. I could never get the depth of tone I wanted from smaller guitars in the past until I bought the Sable and before that all I played were dreads and jumbos. Yes, this is an OM/000 sized guitar, but I measure it as being just a touch deeper than a Martin OM. Although I concede the back and sides are visually underwhelming, the grippy texture is so functional. I play in a pseudo-classical position on my right leg, and all you have to do is set it where you want it, and it provides a very stable playing position.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
The strings are fresh and appear to be 13's which are too thick for my normal use but I'll keep them for a while.
After some tests I settled on the same Elixir 80/20 but in Medium-Light, better playability and no detrimental effect sound wise (to my ears at least!)
Old 08-19-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
How is the neck? Skinny? Fat? C shaped, a little V?
The neck is nondescript, by which I mean that it's not thick or thin or V shaped.

It's the same (or very close) to the width of my CEO7, which was 1 3/4" and had a mild V.

I can probably adapt to almost anything, but this move required no adjustment period at all.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The neck is nondescript, by which I mean that it's not thick or thin or V shaped.

It's the same (or very close) to the width of my CEO7, which was 1 3/4" and had a mild V.

I can probably adapt to almost anything, but this move required no adjustment period at all.
That's interesting - it's advertised as a soft-V, but some soft v necks are too soft to readily feel. The CEO-7 feels like a definite V to me - that's part of what I love about that guitar.

The string spacing at the bridge is about 1/8" narrower than the CEO-7 (which is quite roomy) - do you notice that when you're fingerpicking?

-Ray
Old 08-19-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
That's interesting - it's advertised as a soft-V, but some soft v necks are too soft to readily feel. The CEO-7 feels like a definite V to me - that's part of what I love about that guitar.

The string spacing at the bridge is about 1/8" narrower than the CEO-7 (which is quite roomy) - do you notice that when you're fingerpicking?

-Ray
That IS interesting. I can discern no V.

I might feel a very slight reduction of room at the bridge. Maybe I'm just not very sensitive, since the feeling passes so quickly.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That IS interesting. I can discern no V.

I might feel a very slight reduction of room at the bridge. Maybe I'm just not very sensitive, since the feeling passes so quickly.
With my fingerstyle I’m generally not neck sensitive- I also cannot detect any V-influence in the neck. And I think it is an extremely comfortable neck
Old 08-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Sable, if mine ever had a V neck...it left, cause I don't feel it. I think the 80/20 medium strings do sound the best, but I use the HD lights with very little change in tone. I hope it helps reduce your stress a bit. Been there and it's no fun ! The Sable still amazes me every time I play it. I'd love to play the Touring sometime.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:09 PM

Great guitar! The only reasons I sold mine was that it wasn’t loud enough acoustically for bluegrass and I needed money. Otherwise I would have kept it for folk music, gigs and travel.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:17 PM

If you can put away your judgement of my awful (and tired) playing, here's a quick demo of my new McPherson Sable with LR Baggs Anthem SL directly into my interface (first 55 seconds), and then via my Grace Felix to provide a little EQ (second 60 seconds).

Old 08-20-2021, 08:35 PM
Guest 928

Well that wasn't so bad. I survived and may even try it again tomorrow.

For what it's worth, I think the first 55 seconds is more pronounced, warmer and better sounding.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Yep, the first 55 seconds sounded best to me. Nice playing.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:26 AM

My first "gig" with the Sable was at an "invitation only open mic" at the 2700 seat stadium thing put on by the city in which I live.

Sandy City had asked us all to do five minutes worth. I figured what the hell. So I'd practiced fitting two tunes into that amount of time by cutting out any chatter... just one quick "so glad to see you all here on such a beautiful night."

After my first tune, the applause was strong. After the second tune a bunch of people called out for an encore! So I looked to the wings at the stage manager who gave me the thumbs up.

I told an abbreviated motorcycle story and played my "motorcycle tune". A dozen people found me after the show to say how much they enjoyed my stuff, and the stage manager said that I'd "really brought my A-game". Yeah, after this COVID hiatus it felt like heaven.

My new McPherson Sable was perfect. I knew I shouldn't mess with bringing my Felix, and certainly couldn't set up a second channel guitar mic. So I just ran the guitar directly into the DI they offered and it sounded great. No muss no fuss.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:17 AM
Guest 928

Very nice experience, and you've worked for it. Congratulations.

Did you get to sell CDs at the event? Something to help pay for your time and material.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber