The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM

I'm gonna take a different approach here and not recommend a particular guitar brand or guitar seller. Here's an approach I would take to narrow down your choices:

1) measure the string scale of your National. Then look for a guitar with the same (or very close) string scale.

2) measure the string spacing at nut and bridge of your National guitar. If your are going to play more finger style, get something close to the National spacing. If your are going to be doing more strumming, then it may not matter as much.

3) consider weight if you are going to be standing with it strapped to your body for hours at a time.

4) also consider bout size. On a $2000 guitar, a smaller bout should sound as good as one with a larger bout. Some sound better.

5) if you buy used, you may be able to get a guitar well within your budget that cost $4000 (or more) when new.

6) brand (and how the company stands behind their quality) is more important when buying new. Most (maybe all) manufactures do not allow warranty transfer. So no warranty if buying used. Also, some of the best sounding, looking and playing guitars out there are from lesser known brands.

7) don't rush, take your time.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum here -- thanks for having me, and hopefully I don't screw this up!

I play guitar and mandolin in a folk-rock/Americana band, and for the last 7 or 8 years I've veered heavily into electric guitar to the point where I almost never play acoustic. I've also never had a quality acoustic guitar, but do own a lovely National Triolian that I play slide and fingerstyle on.

Recently I've been wanting to play acoustic more. I played a friend's Avian Songbird and loved its ease of play, but felt like it was too quiet and perhaps a shade too "modern" looking for my aethetic. As far as styles I play, it ranges from folk, blues, a little old time and bluegrass, as well as jazz. I strum and play fingerstyle on pretty much all of my guitars.

Originally I was thinking of a 1200 budget, but the more I think about it, I'm considering pulling out all the stops and making 2000 the top of my range. I've only ever owned Dreadnaught flattops, but would be open to a different shape.

The first guitar that comes to mind is a Martin D-18, used. (There's even a used D-18GE on Craigslist near me).

Guild guitars have always appealed to me, and there are plenty of accolades going around for Blueridge.

I need to play a lot more guitars and get a sense of how they sound and feel in my hands, but I wanted to post on here to see if there are any recommendations from you fine folks. Thanks in advance!

My Rx is an Eastman D-20. It's a RW dread, bound in herringbone with an Adirondack top. They are LOUD!, come with a nice HS case, can be had from our sponsors new, for approx., $1200! They hold their own with other brands costing 3X as much... I bought one used here from the AGF classifieds, in great condition for $725.....

Don
Old 06-09-2018, 02:28 PM

At the risk of adding yet another choice, I’d suggest buying pre-owned, and considering a Webber. Great guitars, way undervalued vs quality and tone you get, and can easily find them for under $2k in mint condition. Risk is you may not easily find one in a shop to try first, but in NYC it may be possible.

Regardless of your choice, don’t rule out used - there are a ton of great condition guitars out there, and your money goes a lot farther. Especially if you’re still new to acoustic and learning what your preferences are!

Good luck with your search, and your guitar journey...
Old 06-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I played a OOO-18M (I think I got that name right...) and there were things about it I liked, but it ultimately sounded too much like its own guitar breed, and not “catch-all” enough to my ear.
Oops, I meant 000-15M.

There’s a lot of great advice in this thread thus far, thanks everybody! I’ll definitely be on the lookout for a Larrivee though it looks like it might be a lil tricky to track one down.

I’ve had a rough history with buying guitars that I haven’t played in person yet, but the whole sponsor option seems like a good one should I decide to pursue a D-18.

I’m also haunted by how much I liked the J-15 I played yesterday. As I said, I’ve always been an electric guitar or resonator guy. Not having much acoustic guitar experience — I’m kinda spitballing here — but it feels like maaaybe Martins accomplish that tried-and-true, “pure” sound that translates well to bluegrass or country or old time, and Gibsons arguably have more color in their tonal profile, or more bias towards folk and rock. I’m not quite sure if I articulated that right. But after playing some Gibsons yesterday, I felt like “oh, as a songwriter, there’s a lot of potential here” and after playing the Martins, I found myself thinking more along the lines of “oh, as a musical ‘technician’ or ‘practitioner’, there’s a lot of potential here.”
Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I’m also haunted by how much I liked the J-15 I played yesterday. As I said, I’ve always been an electric guitar or resonator guy......... But after playing some Gibsons yesterday, I felt like “oh, as a songwriter, there’s a lot of potential here” and after playing the Martins, I found myself thinking more along the lines of “oh, as a musical ‘technician’ or ‘practitioner’, there’s a lot of potential here.”
If you liked the J-15, be sure to check out Gibson's HP-415 W. They are a little slimmer than the J-15 and still pack a good sound. I've been really pleased with mine - it's become my "grab" guitar when I practice (which I need a LOT of) instead of my 00-17SE.
2017 Gibson HP 415 W
2017 Ibanez AVN10
2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T (Desert Burst)
2017 Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster 3 color Sunburst
2017 Fender Special Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster
2017 Fender American Professional Telecaster
2017 Epiphone ES-339 P90 Pro
Old 06-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

You're playing Americana? A Waterloo is what you need. Check out the WL-14 (with truss rods. if you're primarily an electric player you can adjust the relief) or a WL-12.

The Waterloo has an authentic look and sound to the genre. Get a decent soundhole pickup and you're good to go.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:51 PM

With a budget of $2000.00 there are so many recommendations that it would be impossible for you to remember them all. Just go and play a bunch within your budget and you'll eventually find one that you want to take home.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hi all,

New to the forum here -- thanks for having me, and hopefully I don't screw this up!

I play guitar and mandolin in a folk-rock/Americana band, and for the last 7 or 8 years I've veered heavily into electric guitar to the point where I almost never play acoustic. I've also never had a quality acoustic guitar, but do own a lovely National Triolian that I play slide and fingerstyle on.

Recently I've been wanting to play acoustic more. I played a friend's Avian Songbird and loved its ease of play, but felt like it was too quiet and perhaps a shade too "modern" looking for my aethetic. As far as styles I play, it ranges from folk, blues, a little old time and bluegrass, as well as jazz. I strum and play fingerstyle on pretty much all of my guitars.

Originally I was thinking of a 1200 budget, but the more I think about it, I'm considering pulling out all the stops and making 2000 the top of my range. I've only ever owned Dreadnaught flattops, but would be open to a different shape.

The first guitar that comes to mind is a Martin D-18, used. (There's even a used D-18GE on Craigslist near me).

Guild guitars have always appealed to me, and there are plenty of accolades going around for Blueridge.

I need to play a lot more guitars and get a sense of how they sound and feel in my hands, but I wanted to post on here to see if there are any recommendations from you fine folks. Thanks in advance!
Boy, Shrub, so many great choices in that price range. You could almost throw a dart blindfolded and hit a winner.

I can't imagine a better choice than the newly redesigned (post-2012) D-18. I believed others here have mentioned that any of the sponsors on here would be happy to work with you for a price under $2000 that would include free shipping and a world-class setup.

Second choice, for me at least, would be Eastman; third choice perhaps Blueridge, if you want that real Martin mojo.

I always try to buy clean used, whenever possible. You get so much more guitar for your money. I bought an Eastman slope dread from a member here for $850 that goes toe-to-toe with my $2500 Martin HD-28 and my fabulous Yairi dread.

It's a buyer's market. Do keep us posted with your final decision. Larivee, Yamaha and others also make fab guitars in that price range. I find Taylors too bright, but that's just me, and no one can argue with their Q/C and fit and finish.

best,
scott memmer
Old 06-09-2018, 05:24 PM

One brand not mentioned is Takamine. They have some very good dreads in your price range. The Tf 360s bg is good for americana and blue grass and is also loud.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 PM

I had the same question you have about a year ago, with about the same budget. After trying everything I could find from $500 to $3,000 guitars, I ended up buying a used Larrivee OM 40r. Great, solid sound, whether finger style, strummed, or flat picked.

Then I bought a used halcyon, which is made by a luthier name Ed Bond up in Canada. I ended up selling the larrivee because the Halcyon is so much more responsive to a light finger style touch, even though it holds up perfectly to strumming and flat picking.

So I recommend you look into a Halcyon. You can get a new one made to your specifications, and they start at about $1600. I'm actually having a second one made because I like the first one so much.

Have fun deciding.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:33 PM

In that price range and given the need for what would seem to be a do-everything workhorse, I’d want an American-made dreadnought in mahogany (or sapele). These are a handful I’ve tried and would recommend:

Martin D-15M
Martin D-18
Taylor 310
Gibson J-35
Gibson J-45
Larrivee D-40

And aside from the mahogany/sapele dreadnought group above, you might also keep your eyes open for these, just in case:

Martin 000-18
Martin HD-28 (2018 version)
Martin D-35 (2018 version)
Taylor 320
Taylor 410
Gibson J-15
Gibson Advanced Jumbo

I think your instinct is right on with the D-18 — that’s the one I want too!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:02 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Alvarez Masterworks or the Yairi's. My MD60 is close in tone to a Martin D-18.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Snatch up that D-18GE that you found on CL and don't look back.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:40 PM

I don't think I can add any advice to all that's been given so far...for 2K you can get just about anything used lots of old Gibsons, Martins, etc. out there...

And yeah, play as many different models as you can...You might like a J15 or D16 better than a J45 or D18...you won't know until you get your hands on 'em...enjoy the hunt!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM

Default Quick update

Thanks for the great responses! All very appreciated.

It’s surprisingly hard to find a new D-18 at the major stores in NYC (its a shame we don’t have Umanov or Mandolin Bros anymore), but I played the only new one I could find today, and loved it. It felt like it had the perfect balance of blend and note separation when strumming or hybrid picking. (I’m surely using incorrect descriptors, forgive me). It was exactly the sound I was looking for and felt comfortable to play. Not surprisingly, the few fiddle tunes I can play on guitar all sounded quite at home on the D-18.

Got to A/B a new 000-18 Retro and a used one (can’t remember the year). I don’t think a 000 is what I’m looking for (at least right now...I can totally see the value of having one), but the used one sounded fantastic, and took no effort to vibrate when playing fingerstyle.

Played a used D-35 from 2001, and really liked it. Aesthetically, it’s the most appealing of the Martin dreads (to me). I could also see the value of having a D-35, but it didn’t feel like as much of a “utility player” as the D-18. A bit more of a colored sound, bordering on some of the traits I like (more) from the Gibson offerings. Which brings me to...

I played several more J-45s and J-15s, and loved all of them. To restate my earlier observations, the Gibsons feel (to me) like they have a moodier, more colored/biased sound. As a songwriter, this definitely appeals to me as the guitars felt evocative. In a perfect (read “personally affluent”) world, I can definitely see a case for owning a D-18 (traditional sound, arguably more of a technician’s instrument) as well as a Gibson (singer-songwriter, accompaniment instrument). The J-15 in particular spoke to me. Lead picking didn’t have that classic sound like the D-18 had.

Inevitably, any acoustic I get will need to be fitted with some variety of pickup (I have lots of research yet to do on this topic), and I do like that the Gibsons already come with one installed. But of course I can always have one installed in a D-18.

And yeah...I should probably try to at least play the D-18GE that’s on my local Craigslist...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blueridge, dreadnaught, guild, martin