The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum here -- thanks for having me, and hopefully I don't screw this up!

I play guitar and mandolin in a folk-rock/Americana band, and for the last 7 or 8 years I've veered heavily into electric guitar to the point where I almost never play acoustic. I've also never had a quality acoustic guitar, but do own a lovely National Triolian that I play slide and fingerstyle on.

Recently I've been wanting to play acoustic more. I played a friend's Avian Songbird and loved its ease of play, but felt like it was too quiet and perhaps a shade too "modern" looking for my aethetic. As far as styles I play, it ranges from folk, blues, a little old time and bluegrass, as well as jazz. I strum and play fingerstyle on pretty much all of my guitars.

Originally I was thinking of a 1200 budget, but the more I think about it, I'm considering pulling out all the stops and making 2000 the top of my range. I've only ever owned Dreadnaught flattops, but would be open to a different shape.

The first guitar that comes to mind is a Martin D-18, used. (There's even a used D-18GE on Craigslist near me).

Guild guitars have always appealed to me, and there are plenty of accolades going around for Blueridge.

I need to play a lot more guitars and get a sense of how they sound and feel in my hands, but I wanted to post on here to see if there are any recommendations from you fine folks. Thanks in advance!
The guitar you mentioned was what I would have suggested. I play a D-28 as my main guitar, and it’s good for playing both with a plectrum and fingerstyle. Hard to go wrong if you get a decent one.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 06-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Another option, previously mentioned, would be a Martin M/0000. Quite different from the usual D in balanced tone and old-time aesthetics. I'm not sure what is available in your price guidelines, but the looking is the fun part.

I would also recommend the Larrivee L model. Slightly smaller than a dread, much more comfortable. Great balanced sound for most of your musical choices.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
Another option, previously mentioned, would be a Martin M/0000. Quite different from the usual D in balanced tone and old-time aesthetics. I'm not sure what is available in your price guidelines, but the looking is the fun part.

I would also recommend the Larrivee L model. Slightly smaller than a dread, much more comfortable. Great balanced sound for most of your musical choices.
Gotcha. I’m not too familiar with Larrivee...do you mean something like the L-03?
Old 06-08-2018, 12:58 PM

I’ll second the trying a Larrivee, a lot of guitar for much less than other names mentioned. Quality woods and craftsmanship!
Old 06-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Unbelievably, the GC I just visited didn’t have a single D-18. (And no Larrivees on hand, either).

I played a OOO-18M (I think I got that name right...) and there were things about it I liked, but it ultimately sounded too much like its own guitar breed, and not “catch-all” enough to my ear.

Played a J-15 and a J-45, and I liked them both. A new J-45 is too pricey for me (at least at GC prices).
Old 06-08-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
Unbelievably, the GC I just visited didn’t have a single D-18. (And no Larrivees on hand, either).

I played a OOO-18M (I think I got that name right...) and there were things about it I liked, but it ultimately sounded too much like its own guitar breed, and not “catch-all” enough to my ear.

Played a J-15 and a J-45, and I liked them both. A new J-45 is too pricey for me (at least at GC prices).
I doubt you'll find any Larrivees at GC other than a rare used one.
You can find more affordable J45's on Reverb.com
You just can't play them.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

If you expect to play a wide variety of styles, you can not go wrong with a D 18, it would be the "I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest store is 900 miles away" no brainer safe choice.

But in NYC you should be able to find anything, so try a bunch. I have an 80 M36 witch is the largest rosewood guitar I'd want. Great all around guitar. I also have a 70 Guild D 35 witch doesn't have the low end of a D 18 but is more balanced.

Then again, though I don't care for them, you might be a Taylor guy. Or Gibson.

If you like slightly used, the New Hartford Guilds are very nice, if you like more wear on them, get a Hoboken or early Westerly.

I personally like mid sixties D 18s the most of what I could afford. I am in the minority because most like the revamped post 2012s.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-08-2018, 05:51 PM

If you are in NY check out Craigslist. I’m here too. There are TONS of Taylor’s, Martins, Gibson’s etc. available and it’s a buyers market. I picked up a mint Martin D18 Retro from CL a few months ago for $1600.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 PM

I think a Guild or a Larrivee would be more jack of all trades sound than a Martin, in my view, and much cheaper, especially the used ones. I've played some nice Breedlove's too.

Try a YouTube search and see what sound sort of right, then try to find some to play.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 PM

If you want to try out some of the new USA Guilds, StreetSounds NYC has some in stock, per their website. The less expensive version of the D-40 dread is well within your budget. (My New Hartford F-30 std. was originally bought there as "new old stock" I don't see any New Hartford NOS on their website, but it does not hurt to ask). Sam Ash also carries Guild.

If you want to spend half your budget (or even less) the imported Guilds are very nice guitars. I usually see D-140 the all solid hog substitute for $750, sometimes less, and the rosewood D-150 for $1000, sometimes less.

Eastman are also a popular choice for an import in that price range.

You already tried the Gibson J-15. That is a popular guitar these days in that price range. Very nice.

Last edited by rwmct; 06-08-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 PM

When I checked on a brand new D18 from a sponsor a few months back it was less than $1900 and I think that was delivered. There’s also a fellow here that is a Fruch dealer (pm me if u want his name). If you check those guitars out they are not American made but very nice regardless. Also check out some Gibson’s The J15 has a sound of its own. I got a older 45 and love it. Also check out the classified here cause there is some very very good deals on there right now for some reason
Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Sending you a PM
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-09-2018, 06:23 AM

I'm a day late getting back, but Larrivee L models (and the LS if you can find one) are great guitars. The -03's and -40's are satin finished and the more expensive -05's and above are gloss. There isn't a lot of differences in quality at either level. Unfortunately, playing a variety of Larrivees locally can be a problem. GC has a good on-line selection; there are a number of mom and pop stores that carry them as well. Go to the website listed under the AGF Sponsers to see the whole line.
I don't think you can go wrong with Larrivee. They build well made, balanced guitars at reasonable prices in the US that cover the tastes of almost any player.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:01 AM

I agree with the Larrivvee advice. I have a couple. Larrivee's deserve your consideration. Awesome tone and I believe they absolutely win the award for 'best bang for your dollar' award. Hopefully you will get a chance to try a few!
Old 06-09-2018, 10:38 AM

If you have $2,000.00 to spend and there is a forum sponsor here that will sell you a Martin D-18 for that amount, get it while you can!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blueridge, dreadnaught, guild, martin