The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Tell me about new Yamaha FG 5 Red Labels

I am considering buying a Yamaha FG 5 Red Label. If you have one, do you just love it or is it just another guitar? Is it your number one or an occasional player? Please anything will help. Does it stay in tune? You know, all the usual questions about a guitar that I do not have access to.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:24 AM

Yes I love my FG5. It is my 1b behind my FSX5 1a. After removing the awful pickguard I can only say positive things about both. The Red Labels have a warm traditional voicing and no QC issues on either of mine. Just be aware the "finish" is kind of unfinished with a thin satin clearcoat sheen. It looks to me that they just stopped the finish process prior to glossing steps. But if you don't care about that, they punch WAY above their weight.

No tuning issues, no fret issues, super comfortable (for me) neck. Not a feather weight, not overbuilt either. I would say feels like a slightly more delicate (less rigid) build than an L or A series, with generally speaking more projection and less focus than either.

Last edited by Ds114; 07-31-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
Yes I love my FG5. It is my 1b behind my FSX5 1a. After removing the awful pickguard I can only say positive things about both. The Red Labels have a warm traditional voicing and no QC issues on either of mine. Just be aware the "finish" is kind of unfinished with a thin satin clearcoat sheen. It looks to me that they just stopped the finish process prior to glossing steps. But if you don't care about that, they punch WAY above their weight.

No tuning issues, no fret issues, super comfortable (for me) neck. Not a feather weight, not overbuilt either. I would say feels like a slightly more delicate (less rigid) build than an L or A series, with generally speaking more projection and less focus than either.
I agree with this ^^^ (aside from the FSX5)

I own an FGX5 and it gets all kinds of praise about its looks, sound, and playability. It's dead on in tune every time out of the case. I removed the pick guard, which along with the pickup, would pickup the sound of my hand/fingers/fingernails ever so slightly gliding across it. Myself and another forum member have minor intonation issues using a capo, but I've remedied this by capo placement and reshaping the profile of the top of the saddle.

I'd put it against any D18 any day any where.

My favorite thing about the feel is the slim neck. It's somewhere between the L series and the A series necks with the 1 3/4" nut width.

I'm blessed to have a number of great sounding and playing guitars, so I can't say it's my first I grab, but it's definitely in my top 3, behind my LLX16 and Cole Clark FL1E-BM. I primarily play plugged in.

For unplugged tone, it would be the first of all my guitars I'd grab. To me, it sounds THE WAY a mahogany dreadnaught SHOULD sound.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 07-31-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Are they in stock anywhere? Seems like they are unobtanium at the moment.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephystar View Post
I don't know about the situation in the US, but Yamaha UK are quoting December '21/January '22 for delivery of new stock of all 3 and 5 series models. I'm interested in the FG3 but it's going to be a long wait until I get my hands on one...
Old 08-02-2021, 05:26 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I am considering buying a Yamaha FG 5 Red Label. If you have one, do you just love it or is it just another guitar? Is it your number one or an occasional player? Please anything will help. Does it stay in tune? You know, all the usual questions about a guitar that I do not have access to.
I own a FS5 (not the FG5) as I'm not a dreadnought guy. I was one of the first few in AGF who got my hands on these Red Labels very soon after they were marketed. Do I still love it? Yes. It still wows me when I play it. I liken it to the 000-18 and I personally think it is on par with the 000-18. I only pay half the price of a new 000-18 and the FS5 comes with A.R.E. (a torrefied Sitka top).

The first 3 listed guitars in my signature are all my favorites. I play my 00-15m the most, followed by my FS5, then my Faith guitar. Reason being that I just like how an all-mahogany guitar sounds when singing and playing. And it is lighter than my FS5 and my Faith.

Does it stay in tune? Yes. Its finish is Semi-gloss (Silent Satin), which is very similar to Taylor's Builder's Edition guitars' finish. I read that these guitars (Red Label) are first glossed and then sanded to produce these Semi-gloss finish.

Btw, the rubber pick guard that looks like wood doesn't bother me as my pick hardly touches the pick guard when I play my guitars. I've read that a lot of owners of these Red Labels here in AGF have removed their pick guards, which is a good idea if it bothers you.

Will I recommend this guitar? Yes.

Can I guarantee you will like (love) it? No. As our taste for tone is highly subjective.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 08-02-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
When I talked to Long & Mcquade last month (80 stores across Canada), they told me it would take about a month to get an FS5 or FG5 if I wanted to order one. I didn't order one although it is tempting.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I pre-ordered from Sweetwater in the spring and received my FG5 in early July. I couldn't tell you what the situation is now, but might be worth a call or email.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:57 PM

I messaged Sweetwater mid last week about the availability of the Yamaha FG5 and they replied that they are expecting more stock in Mid-late November 2021. I'll try again in a month and hope the news is better by then.

Fwiw, Guitar Center said that they have no eta whatsoever for the FG5's to come back in stock..
Old 08-02-2021, 10:13 PM

the FG5 I have is a year old this month...outstanding workmanship from Japan. The sound is as good as you can get any where near the price point. This FG5 changed my outlook on imports. I'd buy another Yamaha made in the there Japan shop and probably will.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion