The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 08:53 PM

You should probably worry more about the smell of roasting Marshmallows.
Torification is done in a sealed environment, the guitar should not pickup any smell.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:01 PM

My all torrefied Bourgeois has an amazing, spicy smell. It reminds me of a humidor, and is one of my favorite things about the guitar.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_picker View Post
You should probably worry more about the smell of roasting Marshmallows.
Torification is done in a sealed environment, the guitar should not pickup any smell.
Sealed environment? Are you sure? From what I understand most are done in air ovens and the doors are closed but otherwise not a seal worth noting. The off-gassing of the wood needs to go somewhere, actually being vented reduces the wood smoke smell. Afterward the pieces look toasted but the exterior surface layer is sanded off which reduces the smell. I can see a hot guitar might smell a little but otherwise it should not.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:08 AM

Smile

My Yamaha FS5 (ARE) torrefied top does not smell like smoke. I always keep it in its case after playing. So although it is more than 2 years old, it still has a slight smell of glue if I sniff the sound hole.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Michael,

Was the guitar owned by someone else prior to you? If so, was that person a smoker?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hi Michael,

Was the guitar owned by someone else prior to you? If so, was that person a smoker?
Hi Larry,

I am actually the 3rd owner. The gentleman that I purchased it from said that it came from a smoke free home. Furthermore, he did not detect an smoke odor while it was in his possession. I have noticed that it appears to be dissipating but I am still getting the occasional whiff while playing. I guess only time will tell.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbedard View Post
I just acquired a Bob Thompson guitar built in December of 2020. It is my understanding in speaking with Bob that the top, sides and back have all been torrefied. I have a fairly high sensitivity to smoke and thought I detected a campfire type odor coming from the guitar. Have any of you noticed this? If so, has it dissipated over time?
If you decide you need to do something about the smoke odor, try throwing two or three activated charcoal packets (vegetable crispers, for example) inside of it. I brought one back from the stone dead with this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
torrefied