The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Replace Fishman Mx-t road series martin

Hello all,

I just bought a road series Martin D10E. I don’t like the pickup. Is there anyone who has experience with removing the pick up?

In this case I would like to know:
- how did you remove the pre-amp in the sound hole
- how did you remove the tuner in the sound hole
- were you able to use the same jack or the same hole

Thnx
Old 05-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I replaced the Sonotone in my Road Series with a JJB. It went like a snap and it’s a huge improvement. The pre-amp popped right when I stuck a putty knife between it and the top. I assume that the tuner will be just as easy. The new output jack mounts right into the hole in the battery box once you take the old one out. Having the battery box make putting in the jack Really easy. You just onbolt the box, connect the jack, and put the battery box back in.

I love the JJB in my guitar. Any questions, just ask.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:09 PM

lowrider, I am also wanting to replace my MXT pickup in my Martin and had a few more questions. Could you please contact me via private message?
My concerns are with:
-reusing the battery compartment with the new (Anthem SL) pickup. I assume you just need to cut 2 wires and resolder them to the new pickup. Is it that simple?
-the tuner. I am guessing I will lose functionality of the tuner, since it's probably connected to the Sonicore preamp. That's not a dealbreaker, but would be great if the tuner could still function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I replaced the Sonotone in my Road Series with a JJB. It went like a snap and it’s a huge improvement. The pre-amp popped right when I stuck a putty knife between it and the top. I assume that the tuner will be just as easy. The new output jack mounts right into the hole in the battery box once you take the old one out. Having the battery box make putting in the jack Really easy. You just onbolt the box, connect the jack, and put the battery box back in.

I love the JJB in my guitar. Any questions, just ask.

Last edited by JackB1; 04-12-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
lowrider, I am also wanting to replace my MXT pickup in my Martin and had a few more questions. Could you please contact me via private message?
My concerns are with:
-reusing the battery compartment with the new (Anthem SL) pickup. I assume you just need to cut 2 wires and resolder them to the new pickup. Is it that simple?
-the tuner. I am guessing I will lose functionality of the tuner, since it's probably connected to the Sonicore preamp. That's not a dealbreaker, but would be great if the tuner could still function.
I pulled the stock Fishman pickup from my 000-17 and replaced it with an Anthem SL. The Fishman in that guitar was very similar to the one in your Martin and you are correct about the battery. Just cut the leads going to the stock pickup and solder to the battery leads from your Anthem. Once you take it apart, you'll see how easy and straight forward it is.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if the new battery clip would snap right into the battery box. The old one snapped right out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification