The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-13-2021, 03:23 PM

Default Advice please!

Hi
Amatuer acoustic guitar player seeks liason with a looping setup.Must have a number of tracks,some kind of acoustic guitar processing/effects onboard and most importantly .....like dummies
Just getting back into playing after many years away and boy have things changed. I only have my ancient S&P 6CW guitar left, no amp. I've tried my best to look at all the reviews of loopers but it's kind of a minefield for me now. So can anybody help an old guy out? What's a good, intuitive setup for use with a pc?
Audio interface, acoustic processing and a good looper with a few tracks.
Is there even a pedal that does it all out there? I quite fancy the aeros loop studio,Looperboard and the Helicon play acoustic.....but which would win in a fight?
Cheers Guys
Old 04-14-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urga View Post
Hi
Amatuer acoustic guitar player seeks liason with a looping setup.Must have a number of tracks,some kind of acoustic guitar processing/effects onboard and most importantly .....like dummies
Just getting back into playing after many years away and boy have things changed. I only have my ancient S&P 6CW guitar left, no amp. I've tried my best to look at all the reviews of loopers but it's kind of a minefield for me now. So can anybody help an old guy out? What's a good, intuitive setup for use with a pc?
Audio interface, acoustic processing and a good looper with a few tracks.
Is there even a pedal that does it all out there? I quite fancy the aeros loop studio,Looperboard and the Helicon play acoustic.....but which would win in a fight?
Cheers Guys
You could find an "all in one" to meet your requirements, but it will be pricey and will come with a high learning curve. Home recording incorporating a looper has kinda been my thang during the Covid isolation, and I think it's great fun. I'm working with this to make Youtube videos and have some demos of that process posted here previously.

I'd be happy to further expand on all this in this topic if you want. You might want to think about something similar to what I'm doing, only using a less expensive recorder; perhaps a Zoom R8.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 AM

That looks like quite a setup! I'm kinda wanting to keep it a little less like a recording studio and more a messing with ideas kind of thing, if that makes sense? I'd love what you have setup there but I think it would overwhelm me, and space is at a premium as well. I do take what you say about the steep learning curve though.From what can I gather, the more features that you cram into a single unit, the more convoluted it becomes trying to access them.
I'd be very interested in your videos about your setup. When do you think you'll be posting?
Cheers
Old 04-14-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urga View Post
That looks like quite a setup! I'm kinda wanting to keep it a little less like a recording studio and more a messing with ideas kind of thing, if that makes sense? I'd love what you have setup there but I think it would overwhelm me, and space is at a premium as well. I do take what you say about the steep learning curve though.From what can I gather, the more features that you cram into a single unit, the more convoluted it becomes trying to access them.
I'd be very interested in your videos about your setup. When do you think you'll be posting?
Cheers
I've posted several things related to looping previously. The most informative one is probably the "How Do YOU Use A Looper?" topic:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=584595

What is shown in the photo isn't all that complex, and the looping portion is really only the looper shown on the floor and the extra foot switch, which is not necessary to loop effectively.

The lowly Electroharmonix 720 is an excellent starting point for looping unless you need a microphone input. Ten memory slots, 12 minutes of loop time, and loop fade on stop (a very nice feature to have...), and TWO buttons, that's around $125 and includes a power supply.

As far as effects go, IMHO that's better handled by the amp, as the Cube EX shown has great sounding true stereo reverb and chorus built in. I have this amp because it's also plenty loud enough to use as a small gig PA. The standard "Cube Street" with 6" dual drivers is much lower priced and sounds great, too.

The bottom line of this is there are a LOT of different directions you can go and lots of different equipment that can be used. I've used multi-effects units for years and I highly advise going the simple route if you want to do this as and enjoyable hobby and not an exercise in how many menus you can remember how to access and use.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:26 PM

Jings not another choice to fret over!
It certainly looks user friendly....but since I don't really want to go down the amp route( I won't be gigging and room is tight), it lacks any signal processing, which I really need. A friend lent me his Trio+ and I hated it. I don't like the cheesy backing tracks and drum machine. The actual loop function was fine,but my acoustic guitar DI'd straight into it sounded flat as. I know this is a problem with acoustic pickups hence why I liked the idea of enhancing the basic signal first, before getting loopy on it's ***.
Going to do some homework on your article.
Thanks for all the input!
Cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification