The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-12-2021, 05:46 AM

Default How should I fix this?

This guitar is just a few months old, and I noticed this today:

I'm sure it's under warranty, but I don't really want to spend $100 in shipping to send a $600 guitar back to Martin.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Where's your nearest authorized Martin repair shop? No need to ship it to PA.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-12-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Buy a set of inexpensive deep c clamps... remove the bridge and clean off any old glue residue from the bridge and the top. Get some titebond or similar glue, and reglue the bridge. Clamp it for 24 hours.

It's fairly straightforward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guild3.jpg (53.1 KB, 524 views)
Old 12-12-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Where's your nearest authorized Martin repair shop? No need to ship it to PA.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like there's one about 40 miles from me. Would I just go drop it off anytime, or do I need to get an authorization from Martin first?
Old 12-12-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Buy a set of inexpensive deep c clamps... remove the bridge and clean off any old glue residue from the bridge and the top. Get some titebond or similar glue, and reglue the bridge. Clamp it for 24 hours.

It's fairly straightforward.
Only thing I worry about is the custom graphics on the top..looks like some has peeled up at the edge of the bridge.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghostwriter View Post
Thanks for the reply. Looks like there's one about 40 miles from me. Would I just go drop it off anytime, or do I need to get an authorization from Martin first?
I would call the shop first to get an idea of their wait time but this a straightforward warranty repair that Martin will approve.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-12-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I would call the shop first to get an idea of their wait time but this a straightforward warranty repair that Martin will approve.
I just sent them an email. While it's a bit of a drive, it should still be considerably cheaper than shipping so will probably go this route. Don't think I'll try to glue it myself with the custom graphics and all.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I just sent them an email. While it's a bit of a drive, it should still be considerably cheaper than shipping so will probably go this route. Don't think I'll try to glue it myself with the custom graphics and all.
Let us know what you hear. Graphics peeling off and the bridge as well? Has the guitar been expose to high temperature, such as in a car when the temp hits 100?
Old 12-12-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Let us know what you hear. Graphics peeling off and the bridge as well? Has the guitar been expose to high temperature, such as in a car when the temp hits 100?
It's never left the house, and always stored in the case. The graphics are OK except for a few mm right near the bridge where bridge started to lift. It's just a little bit of red, but I think if I tried to reglue it, it wouldn't look right.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

where are you? There should be an authorized Martin repair shop somewhere near you. I don't know where you find them, but probably somewhere on the Martin site. Maybe someone else can show you where to find a Martin repair shop.

That's a cool guitar. Since I live right here and went to the festival, I wish I had the nerve to play one
Old 12-12-2021, 09:47 AM

That stinks. You are correct in contacting a service center with it being under warranty. If the very least there will be record that can be tracked.

Who knows, this could be the start of something similar to their binding issue.

Hope everything works out.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-14-2021, 06:32 AM

So the first thing the guy at the shop said when he saw my guitar was "this usually isn't covered under warranty", and then he made a comment about the guitar feeling cold and began under the assumption that the issue was due to improper storage. This immediately put me off, because even though it's an all-HPL guitar, I still use a soundhole humidifier and keep a humidity gauge in the case. It was 48% when it left the house yesterday morning. And ofc the guitar was cold...I had to drive an hour with it in a cold car to get to his shop. Thankfully, there was a lady at the shop who was much more optimistic about the situation and thought Martin would cover it.

I asked what it might cost to fix if Martin decided not to cover it, and the guy listed off some $300+ figure (that would be a no-go for me).

Later in the evening, I received a voicemail from the lady saying that Martin approved them sending the guitar back to them. I was a little unclear whether that meant the repair is covered or if it just a preliminary thing where they'll agree to take a look at it. Either way, it sounded promising.

I can say this much: I've been seriously looking at the Martin 00L-Earth, which to me is a beautiful guitar. But if Martin left me holding the bag on this, I'd reconsider buying any further guitars from them. I've done everything reasonably possible to take good care of this guitar. Some years ago I had the top of an all-wood Taylor crack on me due to humidity, and ever since I've been rather vigilant about proper storage.

In any case, here's hoping it works out.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I think your tech is just one of those glass half empty curmudgeons that you run into sometimes. I wouldn't take it personal. I also think Martin is going to fix it up like new. Why wouldn't they? It is a relatively new guitar and it is going to be an easy fix for them. Frankly, I would rather Martin does it anyway and you don't have to pack it up and ship it. I would say you came out on top.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-14-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So the first thing the guy at the shop said when he saw my guitar was "this usually isn't covered under warranty", and then he made a comment about the guitar feeling cold and began under the assumption that the issue was due to improper storage. This immediately put me off, because even though it's an all-HPL guitar, I still use a soundhole humidifier and keep a humidity gauge in the case. It was 48% when it left the house yesterday morning. And ofc the guitar was cold...I had to drive an hour with it in a cold car to get to his shop. Thankfully, there was a lady at the shop who was much more optimistic about the situation and thought Martin would cover it.

I asked what it might cost to fix if Martin decided not to cover it, and the guy listed off some $300+ figure (that would be a no-go for me).

Later in the evening, I received a voicemail from the lady saying that Martin approved them sending the guitar back to them. I was a little unclear whether that meant the repair is covered or if it just a preliminary thing where they'll agree to take a look at it. Either way, it sounded promising.

I can say this much: I've been seriously looking at the Martin 00L-Earth, which to me is a beautiful guitar. But if Martin left me holding the bag on this, I'd reconsider buying any further guitars from them. I've done everything reasonably possible to take good care of this guitar. Some years ago I had the top of an all-wood Taylor crack on me due to humidity, and ever since I've been rather vigilant about proper storage.

$300 for a bridge reglue that is already most of the way off? I think I'd find another shop next time.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
So the first thing the guy at the shop said when he saw my guitar was "this usually isn't covered under warranty", and then he made a comment about the guitar feeling cold and began under the assumption that the issue was due to improper storage.

What kind of Martin authorized facility has to send the guitar back to Martin for a bridge reglue and are they going to charge you for that shipping?

Was the guy at the shop trying to convince you it isn't covered under warranty so he could charge you $300 instead of getting the $100 or so that Martin might pay him?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair