The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-07-2022, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default JJB Install

I'm getting ready to install a JJB pickup in my 000-18 - I've done them before along with some K&Ks so I know the drill. I'm thinking, though, what would be the problem with just making a little template with alignment pins and gluing all three transducers in at one time? Has anyone done this with good (or bad) results? I don't really see a downside but thought I'd run it by the hive mentality for thoughts before I make the plunge.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I'm getting ready to install a JJB pickup in my 000-18 - I've done them before along with some K&Ks so I know the drill. I'm thinking, though, what would be the problem with just making a little template with alignment pins and gluing all three transducers in at one time? Has anyone done this with good (or bad) results? I don't really see a downside but thought I'd run it by the hive mentality for thoughts before I make the plunge.
Some do it that way, but I personally wouldn't. The absolute best performance you'll get from transducer to bridge plate coupling is when the CA gel is displaced by finger pressure so the transducer face physically contacts the bridge plate.

Can you do that successfully for all three transducers simultaneously? The process is so easy to do them one at a time I don't see any realistic advantage in trying to shortcut the process and risk one or more of the transducers from having proper mounting contact with the bridge plate.

Dieter went through a long process of developing the easiest method of installation with the greatest chance of success. I imagine if he thought installing all three transducers at once was a good idea he would include that in the installation instructions.

You'll find a lot of tips for installation in THIS topic.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-07-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I have several guitars with K&K PWM in them & decided to try the JJB on my Larrivee DV-10k that came with the LR Baggs UST. I used the two-transducer JJB. One thing I realized right away is that part of the reason the JJBs are so much less expensive is that they provide almost nothing in the way of help, instructions, methodology or parts for mounting these. It was lucky for me that I always save the left-over templates, putty, glue, dowels and all the rest that comes with the K&K, and I was able to use ll this stuff with the JJB. The JJB came with the transducers, jack & wiring and nothing else.

The JJBs are also very obviously hand-made and sort of crudely manufactured compared to the K&K. I know it sounds like I'm ripping them, but I'm really not...I have to admit that the sound I got from the JJB once it was installed was great; there's a subtle difference in the tone of JJB compared to K&K, but it's so slight as to hardly bear mention. I'm also able to use the K&K Pure XLR MK II preamp that I got for these.

The JJBs are a good product at a very reasonable price, but if you plan to DIY installation and have never done this, it's almost worth the extra money to go with K&K just to have the procedure all laid out for you along with all the mounting stuff that comes with the K&K.

Incidentally, the JJB transducers are a bit larger diameter than the K&K PWM, so you might wish to verify that they'll fit your axe, especially if you plan to use the three-sensor version.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-09-2022, 05:16 PM

Gotta agree with both things stated above:

- Hard to get the right pressure/squish on three transducers at once. It’s not that time consuming to do them one at a time, and it works well.

- I’ve got a number of K&K templates laying around from previous installs, and use them to put JJB’s in. You definitely don’t get the documentation with the JJB, but if you’ve done one, you can do the other.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I've done all 3 at once w/o problem, using Blue-Tac to position transducers on a plexiglas template that is pulled up by small bolts through the bridge pin holes, and alignment checked before applying superglue gel using my phone camera. And, my forearm's wimpy enough that I can get my hand in to also apply pressure right on top of the sensors while tightening the wingnuts before the glue completely sets up. Don't see a reason to do them individually.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I've done all 3 at once w/o problem, using Blue-Tac to position transducers on a plexiglas template that is pulled up by small bolts through the bridge pin holes, and alignment checked before applying superglue gel using my phone camera. And, my forearm's wimpy enough that I can get my hand in to also apply pressure right on top of the sensors while tightening the wingnuts before the glue completely sets up. Don't see a reason to do them individually.
Seems more than reasonable to me - I like the part about the bolts and wingnuts - great idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair