The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-25-2023, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Saddle/bridge buzzing after restring

Hi folks,

I restrung my OM last night. Everything sounded great after the typical few minutes of strings falling slightly out of tune.

When I woke up this morning, I noticed a buzz coming from the bridge area when I play the low E string at the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th frets. Like most buzzing, this one only comes about when strumming a little harder than normal.

My OM has a slotted bridge plate with unslotted pins. I haven’t restrung many unslotted bridge plate guitars, but when I have, I haven’t run into this problem. I followed Kimsey Lutherie’s YouTube video on how to properly restring with a slotted bridge plate.

I’ve tried slightly adjusting the truss rod in both directions but the relief doesn’t appear to be the cause.

I did change the string gauge from light to custom light. Not sure if a minor change in string gauge could cause the buzzing.

I’ve tried unstringing the low E completely and restringing (using the same string) twice, but this hasn’t resolved the issue either. Kimsey’s website suggests that if the string end isn’t seated properly against the bridge plate, it can rattle and cause buzzing. So that was my motivation for reseating the string. But it hasn’t worked.

I believe I’ve reached the end of my known options. I’d prefer not to bring it into a tech and be without it for a week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Happy to provide more info if needed.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:30 PM

If the new string is a lighter gauge, then it will be looser than the old string at pitch, meaning it might be more prone to buzz at the saddle. You could try tuning it up to E# to see if the buzzing goes away or replacing the string with the previous gauge.

Does your saddle protrude much from the bridge? Usually 1/8" is enough. If you try shimming your saddle up to create more break angle at the saddle, that might show where the problem lies.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the advice. I tuned up to E# and the buzzing is still there, although slightly less pronounced.

Saddle height is good. Probably between 1/8” and 3/16”.

I may just bite the bullet and restring with the same gauge strings to see if that’s the error. Hate to toss a new set of strings though.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:07 AM

I suspect you need more relief - the lighter strings are pulling a smaller bow into the neck.

Rather than just backing off the truss rod 'a bit', it really helps to measure. Capo at the first fret, hold down your low E at the 14th, and measure the gap between the 6th or 7th fret and the low E string.

Printer paper is around .004 inches thick, and you want somewhere between 1 and 3 thicknesses depending on your playing style.

Bear in mind that the neck may take some hours to relax once you've loosened the truss rod.

The process is to measure, move the truss rod perhaps 1/4 turn in the right direction and re-measure. Repeat until you get the gap you need. Then check again the following day and make final adjustments if it's changed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair