The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-22-2023, 09:59 PM

Default Recommend Inexpensive calipers on AMZ?

Several on offer are around 20 bucks. Just need them to occasionally check string gauge because I suck at keeping track of what gauge is currently on what guitar. Thx
Old 01-22-2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Several on offer are around 20 bucks. Just need them to occasionally check string gauge because I suck at keeping track of what gauge is currently on what guitar. Thx
I have a fairly cheap set of digital calipers, works great. Inch to .000 or metric to .00 selection is a nice feature and a zero set is essential.

Mine looks like this one https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Calip...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Last edited by Fathand; 01-22-2023 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:22 PM

Default a thought

They're a lot more alike than dissimilar. For our nonprecision uses, almost any all-metal caliper will do nicely. A hard case/storage box is a good idea and there are many which read metric/English decimal/English fractional, which I've found to be nice. Availability and price seem to vary day by day.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
They're a lot more alike than dissimilar. For our nonprecision uses, almost any all-metal caliper will do nicely. A hard case/storage box is a good idea and there are many which read metric/English decimal/English fractional, which I've found to be nice. Availability and price seem to vary day by day.
I agree, I had a cheap plastic jawed one, it was useless. The fractions would be helpful but I get by without.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I never see the point in buying cheap tools. Not only are they generally less accurate but they don't last as long. Mitutoyo is the brand to buy. Not horrendously expensive at about a buck twenty, but a very high quality tool. You will thank yourself in the long run and you'll find so many other places to use it where the accuracy matters as well.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 01-23-2023, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

This is my first digital caliper and has been entirely satisfactory. I never use my decades old logarithmic any more, except as a straight edge for saddles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
You'll find a standard 0 to 1" micrometer much more reliable, accurate, and easy to use. Vernier calipers have their uses, but string measurement isn't one of them.

An example of a inexpensive 0-1" micrometer can be found HERE.

Old school, no batteries to think about, works fine / lasts long time.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:50 PM

I have a couple 30 year old Mitutoyo dial calipers that I use for work (designer) and guitar repair. A couple years ago I bought a Harbor Freight digital to keep at work hearing “they’re all the same now”. It was returned the next day. Gritty action and a slim “probe” that extends out for depth measurement was wavy as a noodle. I checked a couple others at the store considering an exchange and they were all the same.

I’m not adverse to mixing in cheap tools with realistic expectations, but these were crap.

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 01-23-2023, 10:06 PM

Default a thought

HF quality can be quite variable. I don't know why, but if they're a reseller, then I suspect they're chasing the cheapest price for stuff. But back to OP, I agree. Price is right but the utility's got to be there.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:37 AM

Don’t buy cheap. Mitutoyo are exceptional value and give a lifetime of use. I bought a cheaper copy initially and it was rubbish. Micrometer for string gauge as mentioned. I bought a second hand Starrett mic for £20 in mint condition 0 to 25mm.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:56 AM

I bought a cheap metal caliper and I’ll be darned if I can figure out the little - as in minute - gradations. Like trying to read a small clock..with bad eyesight. But it does make me feel more professional when I attempt to actually use it for something. I try to concoct some use for it when my wife is around, hoping that she’ll see me with it and be impressed. Worth every penny so far.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor

Last edited by srick; 01-24-2023 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Masked profanity removed
Old 01-24-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
I bought a cheap metal caliper and I’ll be darned if I can figure out the little - as in minute - gradations. Like trying to read a small clock..with bad eyesight. But it does make me feel more professional when I attempt to actually use it for something. I try to concoct some use for it when my wife is around, hoping that she’ll see me with it and be impressed. Worth every penny so far.
If you come from the era when you had to use a slide rule in upper level science or engineering classes instead of an electronic calculator then you'll feel right at home with a vernier caliper!

The old style vernier calipers are the reason that dial and digital calipers became so popular. I have a cheap digital caliper and it works fine for general measurement, but oddly enough I most often use it with the units selection button to quickly convert between inches, mm, and decimal equivalents.

For quick n' easy nothing beats the old micrometer, although I sometimes have to break out the magnifier headband to see the little barrel graduations.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-25-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:47 AM

We're getting some (normal in discussion) 'specification creep' here. OP asked about twenty-buck digital calipers. Someone posted a nice one from Amazon. Unmentioned is that these things measure anything that fits between their jaws, and micrometers are good at measuring strings, but the general utility of the digital caliper is lost in a micrometer. And these days a mechanical dial caliper, measuring in only one numeric system, are costly, but they always work and don't need batteries.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:33 AM

This is the cheapest "quality" caliper that you can buy. It is well-suited for machining work and you can't say that about most of the cheap ones. This is what I've been using for my entire guitar building career. With how well this one works and is constructed, I don't see much reason for buying a Starrett or Mitutuyo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you only need it for checking string gauge, then even the cheaper calipers around $20 will be fine.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm generally in the camp of not liking cheap tools, but there's a time and a place.

Use case is important too. If you're a professional, by the best you can. If you're going to be using it every day, buy the best you can. If extremely tight tolerances need to be met, buy the best you can.

If you're going to use it 4 or 5 times a year to measure a guitar tops, backs and sides as a hobby builder, close enough might be ok.

That said, I have a strong inkling that nearly all the really cheap ones with the fiberglass jaws are the same, just marketed under different names with different color schemes.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair