The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-25-2022, 02:09 PM

Check out Roberta Vecchia. Found him on YouTube. He’s got a few albums on iTunes. Sounds very promising that he’s right up my street.

Merry Xmas/Holidays
Old 12-25-2022, 02:26 PM

Old 12-26-2022, 06:06 PM

This is a great thread thank you. I found OP's criteria really useful to pin down something I have a hard time articulating. It's really hard to find contemporary solo instrumental guitar music that isn't percussive, or doesn't have that wall of sound usually coming from songs in alternate tunings. If it's not either of those techniques, it's almost always more traditional thumb style.

thanks too to Brent Hutto to help understand exactly why that may be (I never really was able to put 2and2 together)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
So the key if you're absolutely not interested in my bluesy thumb rhythm or open tuning is to ask yourself how you're going to fill time and space in your solo instrumentals. The two easy shortcuts are off the table so you'll need to be very creative and, as you're finding out, there aren't many well known artists who have chosen to live within those peculiar constraints.
Anyway, responses here introduced me to a ton of really great players. And thanks Dave for asking what's been on my mind for years!
Old 01-02-2023, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Jacques Stotzem!

Example:

Composite Acoustics GX Aura
Takamine TAN77
--------------------------------------------------
Old 01-02-2023, 05:59 AM

Really nice, thanks
Old 01-20-2023, 05:04 AM

I have the same criteria for songs. I find there is a lot of music out there but not a lot of players for it. I dont like blues, folk or jazz but songs like that Stozem guy above I go for. I call it and got the term from another player on this forum, American fingerstyle. It borrows classical techniques but not classical repertoire. Ed Gerhard is a prime example.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I have the same criteria for songs. I find there is a lot of music out there but not a lot of players for it. I dont like blues, folk or jazz but songs like that Stozem guy above I go for. I call it and got the term from another player on this forum, American fingerstyle. It borrows classical techniques but not classical repertoire. Ed Gerhard is a prime example.
"American fingerstyle" is a great name! I know just what you mean. (Bear in mind Ed Gerhard sometimes plays in drop D, if that doesn't put you off...)

It seems to be mostly based on traditional folk tunes, and it might be worth bearing in mind a lot of those have Celtic or Gaelic ancestry. Of course the guitar style is American (fitting steel strings to the guitar was itself was an American idea!), but players - including Gerhard - often choose alternative tunings for those pieces because they suit the "modal" sound of the tunes better.

As well as drop D, there is double drop D (DADGBD) and DADGAD. You probably don't need to go as far as Steve Baughman's "Orkney" tuning! (CGDGCD)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:44 AM

This guy has free tabs and I like the style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8kQW9CDVIs
Old 01-20-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
Since he hasn’t been mentioned, I put in a plug for the late, great Pete Huttlinger (rest in peace) He does veer off your list occasionally, but checks most of your boxes most of the time. Plus he has published tons of stuff making it easy to learn!
Yes! Pete was an incredible player that probably does check your boxes.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 01-25-2023, 03:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JH View Post
Hi All

I’ve been trying to compile a list of great FS guitarists with the following criteria:

- must not be a tapper or a slapper
- no crazy alt tuning gurus , dropped D occasionally is OK, but mainly standard tuning.
- no blues, ragtime, country
- must have a modern and melodically pleasing style
- no excessive special effects
- no speed demons
- no classical
- instrumental pieces only
- steel string guitar focused

You would think it would be easy but alas no.

Appreciate it
Thanks
Dave
Dave,
I actually click every one of your boxes, so I'll lie and say I never play in open tunings.

I'll bet if you didn't know any better you couldn't tell.

I'm positive of that.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write