The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-12-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I see your point. I'm assuming that the recording is direct from the pickup with no amp/speaker/processing and I'm basing this assumption on what happens later in the video, when Leon is illustrating the feedback problems he plays a few notes and the mic/room sound is very obvious.

[Edit] I've since checked out some of Leon's other videos and he seems well aware of this issue and records all comparison signals dry.

Seems like a considered guy.
yea agree with that, he did seem pretty straightforward in his approach.

BE cool if Taylor would just change course and partner up with some company that was getting this right. I don't think Taylor is.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:55 PM

Default Problem solved

I installed the jjb330 pickup system in my other GS Mini rosewood and it sounds much better than the one I have with the ESb system. Warmer and mellower and even a bit compressed which to me is a good thing. I was worried about a low signal to my amp since this is a passive pickup with no pre amp but it's actually fine without pre amp.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb56 View Post
I installed the jjb330 pickup system in my other GS Mini rosewood and it sounds much better than the one I have with the ESb system. Warmer and mellower and even a bit compressed which to me is a good thing. I was worried about a low signal to my amp since this is a passive pickup with no pre amp but it's actually fine without pre amp.
An acoustic guitar amp will have the proper input impedance to deal will passive pickups. As a general rule, the line inputs (1/4” inputs) of a typical PA mixer WON’T have sufficient input impedance to get a full and pleasing sound from a piezo pickup. For the jjb pickup, something as simple as the Boss GE-7 (with its 1 Mohm input impedance) will do the job, PLUS give you an excellent EQ capability to play around with, if you get in a situation where you need to run to a PA mixer that’s close at hand.

By the way, I seem to recall that Alamo Music put out a video on how to adjust the ES2 system. I’ll see if I can find it.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-03-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:06 AM

https://youtu.be/c2GLc1Wr_ew
Old 02-03-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb56 View Post
I'm a big fan of Jessie's JJB pickups. I've installed dozens in just about every kind of stringed instrument there is.

I've also found that when I plug into my Carvin acoustic amp with HI Z selected it sounds just as good without my RedEye preamp as with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification