The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-18-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Replace “Maple Malabar” with “Claro Traditional”, the rest of the sentence remains equally true !! Unless my playing is REALLY off, the Claxton always sounds deeply musical, regardless of context.

The EM-C on Dream Guitars looks stunning, for sure!! The “issues” sound minor but worthy of leveraging for a discount. Although I’m careful with my guitar, the ultra thin French polish finish on the soundboard is easy to put dents in. No biggie, if you love the guitar. Well repaired cracks, in my experience, are nothing to worry about either, provided you take proper care of the instrument thereafter.

The news in the guitar’s description that Ed Claxton has retired from building guitars saddens me. But that shall pass. I imagine that he’s enjoying his newfound freedom very much. Now that he’s hung up his apron for good, I wish nothing more for him than a long, healthy life, traveling across the land, pursuing his many other interests.
I thought Ed Claxton was still building in a semi retired sort of way, making the guitars he wants to make at his pace while being able to go on trips etc with his wife. If he has really finally retired for good, that is indeed sad because he is clearly one of the best luthiers of all during this golden age of lutherie and his work and personality will be greatly missed in the industry.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I thought Ed Claxton was still building in a semi retired sort of way, making the guitars he wants to make at his pace while being able to go on trips etc with his wife. If he has really finally retired for good, that is indeed sad because he is clearly one of the best luthiers of all during this golden age of lutherie and his work and personality will be greatly missed in the industry.
Chatted with him recently - He's "pretty much" retired
Old 01-18-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Well that's that then...I am glad that I have found this malabar then...
Old 01-19-2023, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I am afraid my playing skills wouldnt do the guutar justice and on top of that i do not have any recording equipment that would be able to make a decent recording.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
"Pretty much" is always the key word when it comes to guitar makers and luthiers.

While some do want to spend more time enjoying their families and the fruits of life, luthiers love their tools and their solo time at the bench in their shops. It is part of who they are. Yes, they slow down. Yes, the physical toll of years doing hard physical work catches up with them. Yes, they decide if they want to take commissions any longer and if they want to work with an individual. If they have a rented space, they may consolidate back into a home shop. Lastly, they stop when their work execution can no longer meet their high standards.

Like Ed, there are a number of great guitar builders that started in the 1970s, 80s and 90s that are now in their late 60s and 70s that are nearing the end of their time at the bench.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
"Pretty much" is always the key word when it comes to guitar makers and luthiers.

While some do want to spend more time enjoying their families and the fruits of life, luthiers love their tools and their solo time at the bench in their shops. It is part of who they are.
Exactly! Well said.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

If you're hankering for a Malabar after reading this thread, there's one now for sale at LC. Awesome woods: Lucky strike redwood over BRW.

https://luthierscollection.com/guita...-fret-malabar/
Old 01-31-2023, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Smile Claxton Malabar

Wow!!! That is a gorgeous Claxton Malabar. The Lucky Strike redwood top looks perfect, and the Brazilian rosewood is striking!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 01-31-2023 at 11:07 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop