The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-18-2023, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Setting each individual string action at saddle

I just got a guitar that needs set up tweeking. The high E is set more or less fine at 4/64. The B string looks a touch below 5/64. Is there a rule for setting individual heights going along string diameter? I am wondering if the three high strings should all be set the same height at the 12th fret, for instance.

The nut depths seem good and relief is pretty flat, perhaps could be increased a bit. The outside strings are 4/64 and a little under 6/64. This should be a fast low feel yet the guitar does not play like that.

I am guessing at least two of the middle strings must be high from the saddle top not being right, but I don't know what the measurements should be since these are rarely mentioned in setting action.

For those who do this what are your numbers at the 12th for setting each string at the saddle, and if there is much graduation.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:17 PM

I like .090,.085,.080,.075,.070,.065 - feels and plays consistent.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I do individual strings generally rising a bit in height especially the g, as it causes me issues when bending the e and b if set to the same height.

I get a hair under 4/64, but yeah, your set up sounds pretty good already.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:52 PM

It’s not uncommon for precut/moulded saddles to be as you described around the first 3 strings and I don’t see any generalised need for that inconsistency.

It’s best to play it hard and hear where any extra height may be needed before taking some off the top - but usually I find a gentle uniform graduation from your 4-5/64” up to about 6/64” works well - depending on the individual guitar (and player) like I said. You might care to try different strings before making that call too.

If anything, I find 4th strings often need a tad more height.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I just got the guitar and will let things settle for a while. Playing today the feel was better, as the new strings settled, so in the end I am looking for some tweeking to get more perfect. I do think the b needs bringing down and one other likely. Also there should not be any difference between capo and non capo string feel, and we are not quite there, even though the nut is pretty good. I just feel sanding saddle bottom to get right action is a little primitive and going from top seems a better way, though a lot more finicky work.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:18 AM

If you do have the tools+full understanding to rectify [adjust] to suit your preference etc 1]the string slot depths at the nut and [2]replicate the same radii at the saddle then proceed.if not=find someone who can.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I measure a .002" graduation from string 1-6. Then remove the rest of the top.

Careful, Mark the bottom of your slots before removing waste. So that you don't file padt your slot depth.

saddle3.jpg

Saddle will naturally follow the radius of your fretboard.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:13 PM

If youve got a compound radius board then would the saddle follow the shape of the board but splayed even more?
Old 01-26-2023, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
If youve got a compound radius board then would the saddle follow the shape of the board but splayed even more?
It is compound. Not sure what you mean by splayed. The issue would be the middle strings need lowering slightly. I had a close look at the b string nut slot and it can come down some.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:04 PM

You could set the height of string 1 and 6 to what you want/like, then set the rest of them so they are in the same plane (or as close as you can get). IOW - with a ruler placed across the top of all the strings, each string would touch the ruler. It's not natural to strum in an arc, so I would think this might be a better setup than having the top of the strings in an arc.

I just recently (a few days ago) bought a 2005 OM-28 Marquis, and it's set up like that. Maybe that's one reason why it's sooooo easy to play.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 02-04-2023, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=lar;7183296]You could set the height of string 1 and 6 to what you want/like, then set the rest of them so they are in the same plane (or as close as you can get).

That works only when the fretboard is flat and the strings are all the same diameter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair