The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-07-2023, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Molly Tuttle and band on Jimmy Kimmel

https://youtu.be/UsNeF2MkRZA
Old 01-07-2023, 10:59 AM

Thanks. You knew theyd be doing that one. I get a kick out of seeing this music crossing over, and especially with this artist.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Molly Tuttle all growed up! So strange to see her embracing makeup and sparkly dresses as I'm used to seeing her 'dressed down' in typical bluegrass garb. If anyone can help bluegrass crossover to a wider audience and younger generation it's this talented young lady.

I didn't know she was using the K&K DHS pickup. Recognised that right away. I'm assuming it's being used along with a K&K PM as a dual source system. The DHS is still my personal favorite mag hole pup of all time. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of bluegrass but talent is talent.

Nice to see something 'listenable' actually getting air time on shows like this.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I've embedded the video because those of us overseas have to trawl through adverts and cookie pages when we follow YouTube links in threads. When its embedded we can just watch without all that rubbish.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 01-08-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Molly Tuttle is an enormous talent. She’s a phenomenal guitarist who could stand on her own as one of the top musicians around just on the basis of her guitar playing, But on top of that, she had a great voice, is a gifted songwriter and has a great sense of timing in her arrangements. I saw her perform last spring with her band, Golden Highway, on their tour. But the biggest treat was her solo performance at the Fretboard Summit—not sure if there are any good-quality recordings of that concert, but it was really special (including a couple of duets with her father and Sierra Hull).

This is my favorite song off of her new album, and the production of the recording is first-rate:

“Old Dooley's got a roadside farm stand
Sweet corn, tomatoes, and turnip greens
But if you ask to buy a jug of sorghum
He'll know exactly what you mean
He'll meet you in the back of the woods at midnight
Bring a lantern 'cause it's hard to find
He's got a strain that'll punch your lights out
Old Dooley's gonna blow your mind”

Agree 100% with others that it’s great that she’s getting mainstream exposure. If people are to some extent a product of where they grew up and/or live, she’s a unique mix of San Francisco, Boston and Nashville.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Excellent! My first takeaway aside from the wonderful music is Billy Strings is pushing the melding of a rock presence with bluegrass/Americana and Molly is now melding sexiness with bluegrass/Americana--Bravo For Them Both As It Pushes The Music Forward To More Folks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN