The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-01-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

There's an audience for every song and sadly, I think there is a large audience for this song.

I like the song but then, in many ways I have also lived it so it stirs emotions that I usually have buried deep within my book of memories and I too, have written many similar songs. They are my therapy.

I understand that a song like this is going to create a love it or hate it reaction. Those that have posted against it are right for feeling the way they do. The way they describe the song and video are correct in every aspect.

Sadly, the song reflects an accepted or compromised way of life for a lot of women, children and even men.

If the song leads one person to seek help and make positive changes in their life then I consider it "mission accomplished "
Old 11-01-2022, 08:24 AM

Met a girl once and then you kill her abusive boyfriend?

Boring musically, hard to believe lyrically. Put me in the "don't like" category.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-01-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Boy oh boy where to start ?
"might be controversial in some quarters for various reasons" ?? I would say the concept of the song is not the least bit "controversial" it is simply totally wrong on every level.

Now there is no question that domestic violence is a significant issue and needs serious national consideration and conversation And calling attention to that is great.

And ,,Yes I realize it is just a story song, and that murder , mayhem, and revenge have been a subject of folklore and folksong for 500 years or more BUT this is not the 1500's it is 2022

And in todays context promoting or glorifying vigilantism is not remotely a solution. And in a broader context people deluding themselves that it is or could be , has become a major problem in US as events of the last few years has clearly demonstrated.
Taking the law into ones own hands and assigning oneself judge, jury, and executioner, basically defeats the concept of a civilized society with a judicial system

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-01-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It is a common theme in music. This song sold over a half-million copies in 1994 and its content wasn't considered very controversial:

Bob

Bob, I remember this song and video well...

It was a good song that drew attention to a real problem, and I don't recall anyone criticizing the song or video, saying it glorified violence, or claiming "She should have just left or called the Authorities instead of setting the fire."

To the contrary:

From Wiki: "Independence Day" is a song written by Gretchen Peters, and performed by American country music singer Martina McBride. The song was officially released in May 1994 as the third single from her album The Way That I Am. The song peaked at number 12 on Hot Country Songs. Peters later recorded it herself on her 1996 album The Secret of Life.

In 2003, it ranked 50th in CMT's 100 Greatest Songs of Country Music. The following year, it ranked #2 in CMT's 100 Greatest Videos in Country Music. In 2014, Rolling Stone magazine ranked the song #77 in their list of the 100 greatest country songs. The song has sold 550,000 copies in the US as of July 2015.

Songwriter Gretchen Peters received the Country Music Association's Song of the Year award in 1995 for "Independence Day."

Last edited by Denny B; 11-01-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Bob, I remember this song and video well...

It was a good song that drew attention to a real problem, and I don't recall anyone criticizing the song or video, saying it glorified violence, or claiming "She should have just left or called the Authorities instead of setting the fire."

To the contrary:

From Wiki: "Independence Day" is a song written by Gretchen Peters, and performed by American country music singer Martina McBride. The song was officially released in May 1994 as the third single from her album The Way That I Am. The song peaked at number 12 on Hot Country Songs. Peters later recorded it herself on her 1996 album The Secret of Life.

In 2003, it ranked 50th in CMT's 100 Greatest Songs of Country Music. The following year, it ranked #2 in CMT's 100 Greatest Videos in Country Music. In 2014, Rolling Stone magazine ranked the song #77 in their list of the 100 greatest country songs. The song has sold 550,000 copies in the US as of July 2015.

Songwriter Gretchen Peters received the Country Music Association's Song of the Year award in 1995 for "Independence Day."
There is a fundamental difference between the songs.

Independence Day is about the victim taking control of the situation she is in.

The Hardy song is about a "hero" coming along to save the day. The victim doesn't have agency, she's just a passive character in the grotesque story of a vigilante killing.

Last edited by Silurian; 11-01-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
There is a fundamental difference between the songs.

Independence Day is about the victim taking control of the situation she is in.

The Hardy song is about a "hero" coming along to save the day. The victim doesn't have agency, she's just a passive character in the grotesque story of a vigilante killing.

That's one way to view it. Some victims don't have the ability to take control on their own, and sometimes outside forces intervene on their behalf...some are moral, some aren't...it's just the way this story was told...

Johnny Cash didn't really shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die, and I don't think Johnny was encouraging anyone else to do that..it's just the way he told that story.

There's probably a million songs (books, films, etc) out there that delve into dark human nature that may make me uncomfortable, but I'd defend anyone's right to express themselves thru their chosen craft. If I don't like it, I won't listen to, read or watch it.

The usual disclaimers and all.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Good post Denny B.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Couldn't find the lyrics to the Felicity ??? song so can't comment but "I liked the backing" (elderly Brits will get that).
I really liked the Felicity Urquhart song. I don't see it on Amazon Music or Spotify, so I'm disappointed. The YouTube link continued on with more of her songs- I like her stuff!

https://www.songlyrics.com/felicity-...-cloud-lyrics/
Old 01-05-2023, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Anybody remember “Earle”? He ought not to have messed with the [Dixie] Chicks!!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-05-2023, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I've already replied so I'll try not yo repeat myself.
The first song story is just totally alien in concept to me -but I'm a Brit, and whilst violence and murders happen here, well, its a different culture.

The Felicity Urguhart song is about depression, and that is common everywhere, and really, the basic recipe for most blues.

Songs about about death, murder, violence esp. by "poor folks" have (as said) been around for a long time.

Banks of the Ohio comes to mind. Long Black Veil, Streets of Laredo - originally the British song "the Unfortunate Rake" or the Buck's Elegy.

I sing a John Philips "cowboy" song called "My & My Uncle" which has a number of casualties -including the uncle in the last verse.

I guess these songs are "bro-country" ?? Ok, not my style of country,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN